Lil Zipper Bag

Moda Honey Bun: Soiree By Lila Tueller
Batting scrap at least 10 X 10 inches
Lining fabric 10 X 10 inches
9.5 inch square rotary ruler
Thread
9 inch zipper
Sewing machine with walking foot (very helpful)

Choose 9 strips from your honey bun. Cross cut each strip 9 1/2 inches. Your strips will be 1 1/2 inches X 9 1/2 inches.Arrange them and sew the 9 1/2 inch sides together. Square up the ‘new’ fabric piece as shown. Layer the lining wrong side up (I used muslin), batting and the stripped fabric right side up. Using a walking foot to quilt in the ditch of each strip, then zig zag the entire edge.

Square up the bag which to approximately 9 1/4 inches X 8 1/2 inches after quilting. Yes it does shrink up a bit. Next lay the zipper wrong side up to the right side of one long edge of the quilted piece.

Stitch close to the zipper thread. Yes I used my walking foot instead of a zipper foot…use what you are comfortable with. I also used an ‘invisible’ zipper but any style of zipper will do.

Once you have sewn the zipper, then flip the zipper back and tuck the seam allowance under. Top stitch an 1/8 inch from the fold.
It should look like this:

Repeat the same steps for the other side of the zipper, resulting in a tube. Turn the tube inside out and match up and pin the sides.

Once the sides are sewn, pinch open the bottom corner and form a triangle. It measures about an inch from the point. Sew across the triangle, zig zag and trim or serger.

Turn out your corners.

Trim any excess from the zipper ends or hand stitch in place if desired.

One lovely lil zipper Bag that is 8 1/2 X 3 1/4 X 2 inches, plus many other fun projects. I am currently planning several…all from one honey bun!

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Thanks, Vickie E

Latest posts by Vickie Eapen (see all)

0 comments to Lil Zipper Bag

1. Lynnea says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. It was posted at just the right time. My son has type 1 diabetes and I needed to make a few insulin pump cases for the summer to help protect the pump while he is outside playing. I will be able to modify this tutorial to fit the pump.:)

2. Manders says:

what a fun cute little bag! I love it and cannot wait to make one!!

3. happy zombie says:

I love your tutorial and bag, Vickie. Too stinkin’ cute (and I may just tackle a zipper after your great instructions).

4. Carol says:

Great job Vickie on your bag and tutorial! You did good. :o)libertythreads@charter.net

5. Vickie…you are such a rockstar…I mean quiltstar. No wonder you were so excited. This is cool, and I will definitely be making one of these little bags. Thanks!

6. Jackie says:

Vickie, Oh my gosh, I didn’t even know your were one of the designers on this blog! How cool is that! I have been reading it, but where was my head???? I love this little bag. Gonna have to make this one!

7. Great bag Vickie ! And great tutorial. ooxx`jodi

8. Cute bag! Love the instructions on the zipper application!

9. you rock girl! Great job on the tutorial and it’s a darn cute bag!

10. Kathy says:

Love this little bag. It seams sew much easier than the one I have made that is cylindrical. (Kind of like those old types of pencil cases.) I need to make some of these “Lil Zipper Bags”! Thanks so much for a great idea and a gift idea for my quilting friends.

11. PunkiePie says:

So cute and I thank you for the clear zipper instructions. I’m getting closer to wanting to sew one… zippers scare me!

12. Dawn says:

I just might have to try this one…considering I am a ziper-phobic!

13. I have been wanting to make a zippered bag for a little while and was so happy to find this tutorial not to mention this blog! Love it! I bought an american jane layer cake and jelly roll for a quilt I am making and I just checked the scraps and I have just the right size strips left to make several of these cute bags! whoo hoo! Waste not, want not! Thanks!

14. I guess I am confused, because I cannot figure out how to sew the second side of the zipper on. If anyone can provide a little more instruction, I would love it. I love this bag, but I am a little lost.

15. Vickie E says:

To answer the zipper question, to finish the 2nd side of the zipper, fol the right side of the. Bag up to the right side of the zipper meeting edges…zipper is “closed” at this point. Sew close to the zip part of the zipper… Zig zag edges to prevent fraying. I hope that helped…its tough to do a zipper w/out “seeing” it.

16. Simon says:

I’m looking forward to trying this pattern. I think I’ll use the same fabric on both ends.