Quilted Hot Pads

2 Fat Quarters
Batting
Thread

1 – Cut two 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ fabric squares (1 from each fat quarter).

2 – Cut two 9″ x 9″ batting squares. Stack batting squares together and treat as one piece.

3 – Draw an X on top batting square. Place batting on wrong side of one fabric square centering with 1/4″ around all edges.

4 – Stitch X on drawn line to quilt hot pad.

5 – Place quilted square on contrasting 9 1/2″ square with right sides together. Pin all layers together.

6 – Stitch a 1/4″ seam around edge of hot pad leaving a 3″ opening. Trim corners. Turn to right side through opening.

7 – Press.

8 – Hand stitch opening closed.

9 – Top stitch around hot pad 1/4″ from edge.

2 hot pads

If you enjoyed making these, you might want to check out our Baking Day Hot Pad pattern at cottonway.com for more.
Happy Stitching!

Bonnie
Cotton Way

Bonnie Olaveson

Author, Moda Fabrics Designer, and Blogger at Cotton Way
Since starting her company Cotton Way in 1990, Bonnie has designed over 300 patterns. She currently resides in Idaho, has a wonderful husband, 5 children, and enjoys spoiling her 5 beautiful grandchildren. When she’s not busy designing, she enjoys decorating her home, scrapbooking and boating with the family.

Latest posts by Bonnie Olaveson (see all)

0 comments to Quilted Hot Pads

1. Angela says:

Very cute and easy! Love it!

2. Camille says:

So cute! I am going to whip up a few of these sometime this week- I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks! (Love ya!)

3. I’ve heard there is a special batting or stabilizer that is heat resistent that is wonderful for putting in hot pads. Does anyone know what it is and where to get it?~Shelly~

4. Auntie Pami says:

The special batting is called InsulBright made by the Warm Company and ask for it at your local quilt shop.

5. Auntie Pami says:

6. Way cute! I still LOVE this fabric. Might have to go buy me some more. ooxx`jodi`

7. Judi says:

Super cute! I am going to have to make some of those, the hot pads I use are not that cute.

8. Denise says:

In the instructions it says to cut one of each from the fat quarters and as I’m reading when I get to the end it says it yields 2 hot pads. How do you come up with 2?thanks. Very sweet fabric you chose!

9. Aunt Donna says:

Just an FYI … I found Insulbrite at my local WalMart. It’s located with the batting on a roll stuff. I’d think maybe a bit less expensive than at a quilt shop. :)

10. Shorty says:

I just found your blog and I’m hooked! Thank you for all the great ideas and patterns. I can’t wait to get started on some of them!!!