Quilted Hot Pads

2 Fat Quarters
Batting
Thread

1 – Cut two 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ fabric squares (1 from each fat quarter).

2 – Cut two 9″ x 9″ batting squares. Stack batting squares together and treat as one piece.

3 – Draw an X on top batting square. Place batting on wrong side of one fabric square centering with 1/4″ around all edges.

4 – Stitch X on drawn line to quilt hot pad.

5 – Place quilted square on contrasting 9 1/2″ square with right sides together. Pin all layers together.

6 – Stitch a 1/4″ seam around edge of hot pad leaving a 3″ opening. Trim corners. Turn to right side through opening.

7 – Press.

8 – Hand stitch opening closed.

9 – Top stitch around hot pad 1/4″ from edge.

2 hot pads

If you enjoyed making these, you might want to check out our Baking Day Hot Pad pattern at cottonway.com for more.
Happy Stitching!

Bonnie
Cotton Way

0 comments on “Quilted Hot Pads

1. Angela says:

Very cute and easy! Love it!

2. Camille says:

So cute! I am going to whip up a few of these sometime this week- I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks! (Love ya!)

3. I’ve heard there is a special batting or stabilizer that is heat resistent that is wonderful for putting in hot pads. Does anyone know what it is and where to get it?~Shelly~

4. Auntie Pami says:

The special batting is called InsulBright made by the Warm Company and ask for it at your local quilt shop.

5. Auntie Pami says:

6. Way cute! I still LOVE this fabric. Might have to go buy me some more. ooxx`jodi`

7. Judi says:

Super cute! I am going to have to make some of those, the hot pads I use are not that cute.

8. Denise says:

In the instructions it says to cut one of each from the fat quarters and as I’m reading when I get to the end it says it yields 2 hot pads. How do you come up with 2?thanks. Very sweet fabric you chose!

9. Aunt Donna says:

Just an FYI … I found Insulbrite at my local WalMart. It’s located with the batting on a roll stuff. I’d think maybe a bit less expensive than at a quilt shop. 🙂

10. Shorty says:

I just found your blog and I’m hooked! Thank you for all the great ideas and patterns. I can’t wait to get started on some of them!!!