*2/3 yd fabric (backing)
2. Pin and sew two charm squares together as shown below, right sides together, with a 1/4″ seam.
3. Continue sewing squares together to make up a single row of 5. Repeat with each of the 8 rows.
4. Press each row, alternating seam direction. (Press seams on row one to the right, row two to the left, etc)
5. From 1/2 yd, cut five 2-1/2″ x 42″ strips. Trim ends. Set aside two strips.
6. Measure top row of squares and bottom row of squares. Cut the two strips from last step the same length as the rows. Pin and sew one strip to the bottom row, right sides together.
7. Press, then continue to sew the rows in order, pinning and pressing between each row until your quilt top is finished.
8. Make a “quilt sandwich” by placing batting on top of backing, and then the quilt top on top of the batting. Smooth out fabric and pin the corner of each square, making sure each safety pin goes through all three layers of the quilt. (My little helpers always “help” with this part.)
9. Stipple quilt, or sew straight lines along the seams. For more detailed stippling instructions, visit my stippling tutorial here.
10. Once you are finished quilting your runner, trim the edges. Make sure your corners are square. Cut two 24″ pieces of ric rac. Sew a straight stitch along seam as shown below.
11. Sew the remaining 2-1/2″ strips (cut in step 5) together, end to end lengthwise. Bind quilt. For more detailed binding instructions, visit my binding tutorial here.