Stacked Coins Baby Quilt

2 charm packs-Soiree by Lila Tueller
1 1/2 yards white fabric for sashing/borders
1/2 yard fabric for binding
1 1/2 yards of fabric for backing
batting that measures 44″ x 55″
quilting thread

please note: 1/4″ seams are used throughout this project.
Cut each charm in half. This will yield 144 “coins”. Each will measure 2.5″ x 5″. (You will use all but 12 coins for this quilt.)

Sew coins together. I found it very helpful to match the pinked edges with pinked edges and straight edges with straight edges when piecing.

Make 5 strips of coins. Each strip is made with 22 rectangles.
Cut 6 pieces of white fabric 3.5″ wide x 44 1/2″ long for the sashing.
If your seam allowances aren’t completely accurate, you may want to measure the length of your patchwork strips and cut the sashing to match.

Sew sashing to the coin strips. Press all seams toward the white.

Cut 2 pieces 3.5″ x 41″ for the top and bottom of the quilt.

Sew together and press well.

Your quilt top is done!
For the back…
I love adding a patchwork detail to the back of my quilts. It takes a bit more time, but it’s a nice way to tie in the design from the front to the back.
Join 22 coins together and press.
From the backing fabric, cut one piece 36″ x width of fabric. And one piece 15″ x width of fabric.
Layout as shown and sew together. Press.
And the back is done, too.
To finish your quilt, baste, quilt and bind as desired.
On this quilt, I did an all over stipple in white thread.

I just love the one strip of patchwork on the backing.

Wash and dry your quilt for that soft crinkly goodness.

The finished quilt measures approximately 41″ x 50″.
This is a fun + quick project. I made it from start to finish in about 2 days. It’s perfect for a last minute baby gift.
Enjoy!

AmandaJean Nyberg

Author and Blogger at Crazy Mom Quilts
Co-author of Sunday Morning Quilts. Scrap hoarder/lover/user.

Latest posts by AmandaJean Nyberg (see all)

0 comments to Stacked Coins Baby Quilt

1. Wow I just found this blogg today and I am so happy. A lot of great work and I love all your projects! I will for sure come back on a regular basis.

2. V and Co. says:

PERFECT! AND SIMPLE! AND CUTE! just how i like it!!!

3. Great idea. So simple, modern and sweet. Thanks!

4. I was just thinking about a coin baby quilt – now you did all the work of figuring out the dimensions and all I have to do is sew! Thank you again.

5. nettie says:

it’s perfect amandajean!

6. Frogdancer says:

Thank you Amanda Jean. I didn’t know about this site before.Gorgeous quilt (as usual!!)

7. Nancy says:

Thanks so much for the tute…I have two charm packs of Recess and have wondered what to do with them..

8. Huge fan of Crazymomquilts!!! Way to go Amandajean…I will definitely be making this one very soon. I always love your work!

9. Christina says:

I love this blog, all tutorials! Thank you

10. Cindy says:

Love it! It’s just like the one I made a couple weeks ago… same fabric and everything. :)

11. Jac says:

So simple, yet stunning! I’ve got a few packs of charm-squares at home but have not been inspired to do something with them – now I am!Thanks!

12. Christy says:

Love it! I have been following your crazymomquilts blog for a long time and am so happy to see you on here. I look forward to more of your designs.

13. Great tute! Excellent use of all those beautiful charms :)

14. Katherine says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Love this tutorial, Amandajean. The back is just as lovely as the front. You’re the queen of pieced quilt backs. ;o)

15. LOVE this quilt. Both sides are just beautiful!

16. Aunt Donna says:

One more for the “to do” list. Have a first grandchild due in June; thanks for the inspiration!

17. wow… what a find!! What a blog!! Thankyou!! Lx

18. Kathy says:

I was looking for a quick and easy project for those charm packs. What a happy quilt! Thanks so much for the idea.

19. Rosa says:

This is spectacular! I love the simplicity of it and the colors are divine. Thanks for another great tutorial. My quilt queue is stacking up.

20. Stasia says:

Beautiful! Thanks so much for the recipe!

21. HoltGallery says:

I love and addicted to Moda’s fabrics… I love this Soiree line – gorgeous! I got some of those yesterday to make a wedding gift to my friend who is getting married next week. Making two plate mats and reversible napkins. Almost done and will post on my blog http://www.holtgallery.wordpress.com

22. Fabulous Tutorial! Fabulous Quilt! Love it Amandajean! ;o) ooxx`jodi

23. kvinta says:

Lovely and simple to make – as you always do! Moda can be sure to have found a gold egg en you ;)Keep on creating, yay!

24. Whitney says:

I love it! I just found the Bake Shope through Camille Roskelly’s blog and I’m so glad that Amanda was asked to make something. I have loved/stalked her blog and coveted her quilts for months!

25. angela says:

This is my favoirte use of a charm pack yet! So cute and easy I see myself starting a hoard of charm packs for emergancy gifts.

26. Sheree says:

fabulous as always, amandajean!!

27. Christine says:

Darling… I am making it… such a fast little gift idea… any ideas for a charm pack suitable for a baby boy?

28. amandajean says:

christine,wee play would work great for a little boy, i think.aj

29. lera says:

Amandajean did another beautiful job!

30. Dawn says:

I will be making this for sure!!! Thanks for a great pattern.

31. Linda says:

Love the quilt, Amanda!

32. Jane says:

I didn’t know this blog was here until Amanda Jean appeared. LOVE this tutorial and I can’t wait to make it!!Looking forward to the rest of the blog!

33. happy zombie says:

In the form of a Dear John letter… Dear Amanda Jean, I wish you would stop taunting me with all the wonderful things you make. You tease me with such wonderful projects and fabrics. Because of you… my family goes hungry, my house never gets clean, my dogs don’t get enough walks, my other non-crazymomquilts projects never get finished. Please stop being so dang creative and inspirational. Ok, I’m kidding. Except for the creative and inspirational part. I’m a broken record when it comes to everything you create… but I love this! And I’m madly in love with new Soiree!!! Love the back of your quilt too. Love. Love. Love!

34. So cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

35. Caroline says:

I’m a crazymomquilts blog follower. So excited to see you featured here! Keep up the good work. Just finished cutting my coins to do this project myself!!!

36. i love this, i want to make one….soon.

37. I love charm squares and simple projects. Consider this one made! :D

38. This is quite possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!!Is there anywhere to order the fabrics online?

39. RachelQ says:

I am making this right now!! It is a perfect quilt for a quick gift

40. Melissa says:

I love this pattern! How could I make this into a King or Queen?

41. I love this pattern too, but is anyone else as annoyed as I am by those danged pinked edges on charm packs? It just makes it that much more difficult to sew an accurate 1/4″ seam.

Love charm packs, wish they were cut with straight edges!!!

42. jude says:

I have just started this quilt and love how it is turning out thanks to your brilliant tutorial. Can you tell me what fabric you used for the backing as nothing I've seen so far seems to do it justice in the way your choice did!Thanks

43. teeceebug says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

44. teeceebug says:

I just finished my FIRST EVER quilt and I couldn't have done it without you! Initially, I was going to do a ragged squares quilt out of my daughter's baby clothes — for HER baby girl (due 8/4/09!) — then opted for the stacked coins baby quilt. All of your tutorials have helped me immensely! I stippled (using your video) and have just finished the binding… Piece of cake! I've seen many other quilts of yours that I can't wait to try. HOW CAN I THANK YOU?!!

45. Anjili says:

This is beautiful! Thanks so much for posting. I am a beginner quilter- and this recipe is great. I am planning on making two quilts like this- one as a housewarming gift and one as a baby gift. I have one question- do you stipple all over the quilt or only in the sash and border? And, you use white thread over the entire quilt- you see it on the coins too, right? Thanks for your help!

46. freshlemons says:

This is great! I was trying to figure out how much fabric to get for a coin quilt for my MIL's birthday. You did all the hard work for me! :-)

47. Katie says:

Love this project! I can't wait to whip one of these up for my 6 month old DD who is outgrowing some of her 'baby' blankets. Just in time for the cold!!!

48. Fantastic tutorial, I finished my first Coin Quilt today. So quick and easy. Thanks again for sharing.

49. Kimberly says:

I love this tutorial. Thanks for posting it!
    I do have a question about yardage for the sashing. It says 1 1/2 yd, I only ended up using about 3/4 yd. Did anyone else have this issue?
    Great tutorial, I ended up with a beautiful quilt after following it.