- 6 slices of a Moda Layer Cake (6 – 10″ x 10″ squares). Sweet by Urban chicks featured.
- 2 strips (2 – 1½” strips) from a roll of Sweet Honey Buns.
- Optional: Clover “Large” (orange) Yo-Yo maker.
- Pearl beads in assorted sizes.
3. Select 2 slices of Layer Cake (2- 10″x10″ pieces) and cut in half horizontally and then in half vertically to yield eight 5″ squares for prairie points and yo-yo’s. Arrange 2 groups – four pieces for prairie points, and 4 pieces for yo-yo’s. Make four yo-yo’s according to the directions from your Clover yo-yo maker (or use your favorite yo-yo making method if no Clover tool is used).
6. Fold and press handle strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside. Open and press long edges to center. Refold in half and press. Repeat for all handle strips. Top-stitch on outer edges to finish handles.
12. Fold over diagonally, right sides together. Stitch a ¼” seam around edge, stopping about an inch past the turn (right blue pin). Leave about a 3″ opening for turning, and continue stitching the edge (after left blue pin). Back-stitch all beginning and ending stitches.
14. Turn unit inside out. A chop-stick makes for a great turning/pointy poking tool, especially if it’s cute like my little strawberry one. Pin turn-opening closed, and top-stitch or whip-stitch edges closed.
16. To attache dangle beads, take your chop-stick or turning tool and make sure liner point is as far down into the pocket as possible. With needle and thread, exit needle at the pennie’s point. Thread 3 beads, from large to medium to small. Make a “u-turn” and thread back into medium and then large bead. Pull taught (but not too taught). Enter the needle back into the pennie’s point and knot-off and hide thread tail in between layers of fabric.
One package each of Layer Cakes and Honey Buns will yield 24 Pennie Pockets.
Ding-dong-ditchin’ good clean fun!