Petits Fours

Petit four (plural: petits fours):  a tiny, bite-sized cake with delicate layers of moist cake filled with smooth butter cream and jam fillings. Each cake measures approximately 1.5 ” x 1″. The miniature cake is often dipped in fondant and decorated with piped icing flowers. The name is from the French petit four, meaning “small oven”.

1 Charm Pack (40 – 5″ squares) I used Wildflower Serenade 2 by Kansas Troubles
1/8th yard for inner border
1/8th yard for binding
Backing and batting at least 15″ x 47″

All seams are 1/4″.

Select 27 (I used the top 27 from Wildflower Serenade) of the 5″ squares and cut each into 3-1.5″ strips. This will give you 81 strips that are 1.5 x 5″. You need 80. Have a nice sharp blade and you can stack and cut several charms at once.

Reserve the remaining 13 charms for the outside border.
Sew into 40 pairs of 2.

Sew 2 pairs together. Repeat until you have 20 sets of 4 strips.

Press all seams one direction.

Trim length to 4.5″. I stacked 4 blocks; trimmed 1/4″ off one end…

then trimmed the other end to equal 4.5″.

Sew two 4-strip units together as shown below. Repeat to make 10 units.

Press as shown below.

Sew these units together…

to make 5 blocks like this.
Cut the inner border fabric into 3-1″ strips. Attach the inner border to the long sides of the runner first, then to the short ends.
Take the last 13 charms and cut at 2″. You will get 2 pieces that are 2″ x 5″ per charm.

Sew 2 sets of 3 together and 2 sets of 10 together. .

Attach to long sides of the runner first, matching center seam of runner with center seam of border. Trim off the extra

Put a pin in the center of the 3-charm strips and match to the middle seams on the short ends of the runner. Stitch. Trim off the extra.
Quilt, bind and make another one.
I think it’s sew fun getting a tablerunner from 1 charm pack!!

One tablerunner 12″ x 43.5″
Happy Quilting from Angela Davy at All Washed Up
Angie Davy
Angie Davy

Latest posts by Angie Davy (see all)

0 comments to Petits Fours

1. Michelle says:

Wow,this sounds so yummy! Looks great! You have so much talent.

2. Priscilla says:

This is so cute – and the tutorial is great!

3. KaHolly says:

Sweet little table runner. I didn’t know how lucky I was to come across your blog! I’m enjoyed it immensely.

4. Stacey says:

very nice!! I have a jelly roll of Wildflower Serenade and wanted to make something nice for my grandmother with it, I might make her a quilt like this, thanks for the pattern!!

5. Qubie says:

Great table runner. Is there anyway we can save this pattern or do we need to come back to the blog to get it?

6. madrekarin says:

Beautiful! I have a birthday present to make and this will be perfect!

7. Betsy says:

Cannot wait to try this one. Seems simple enough for a rookie like me.

8. I love this table runner! Great job creating it! I am impressed! This seems like something even I can do, and yet it looks so elegant! I can’t wait to try it, my mom would be so impressed!

9. I love this table runner! Great job creating it! I am impressed! This seems like something even I can do, and yet it looks so elegant! I can’t wait to try it, my mom would be so impressed!

10. Deb says:

Your instructions are wonderful! Especially good for me! I love the pattern; thank you so much.

11. Neabear says:

I love this. Thank you for the tutorial on how to do it!

12. mamabug says:

Nice Job Angie!!! Are you sure your mom didn’t do it??? Hey by the way your blog is cute and I would have loved to have seen a pic of your frozen toes in the flip flops. I love Moda Bake Shop and I’m glad you do too!!! Kathie B k.bugbee@att.net

13. Hey you guys! What a cute pattern. Maybe I will make this at Pieceful Day in Ferndale today!Angie, maybe you should trade in your flip flops for a pair of barn boots…:) Cyndee

14. Anya says:

Very nice. All the projects look great.

15. Sarah says:

I love that tablerunner! Very nice fabric choices too.

16. radromy says:

Nicely done! I’m going to whip one up when I get to the store.

17. MichelleB says:

What a great easy table runner! I love it.

18. Nice Table Runner, Thanks for the PatternLeanna

19. Carol says:

What a wonderful table runner…quick and easy! LOVE it!

20. Melanie says:

Very cute project. I am inspired to create this adorable runner.

21. BrendaLou says:

Cute little runner. Noticed that it posted on FRIDAY 13! Did you do that on purpose or is that why the mud story played out?

22. elayne says:

A new quilter here, thanks for making something so cute with such good instructions, I love it!

23. upstateLisa says:

cute little tablerunner. Wish it was warm enough here to enjoy a drink outside!

24. I’m a new quilter and I think this would make a great beginner’s project! Can’t wait to try it!

25. anne says:

What a great table runner. It looks great in those fabrics but I have many charm squares that would look good. thanks for the pattern

26. Claudia says:

I see you gals have come up with another great pattern! Can’t wait to try it.

27. Oh So Cute – fast and easy too. We love your patterns at Red Rooster Quilt & Treasures. Thank you, Kaye

28. eamylove says:

Two of my favorite things – table runners and charm packs!!! Thanks!

29. Very Cute! I’ll definitely be making one of these! That is great that you can make one tablerunner from 1 charm pack.

30. Janice says:

Great table runner. It’s easy and I know I can finish it.Good job Angie and Weezie. Still would ;iked to have seen your toes.Thank you MODA for great fabric.JANICE

31. Karen W says:

This tablerunner is so cute! I’m going to make one for myself and one for a gift. Thanks for another great pattern!

32. dianlucas says:

I love it! This would make a wonderful wedding shower gift!

33. 52knit4 says:

Digging thru stash….want to start it right now! How cute…thanks for showing us how…

34. Mila says:

Wow!!! easy and quickly, just for me and to my next present, the one I have to do in two weeks… LOL.Very cute, and what I need to do.Thanks for all.Hugs.Mila.

35. sndy1 says:

Thanks for the great, quick idea for charm squares.

36. Sharalyn says:

I needed this perfect project at this perfect time on this perfectly beautiful spring day. It’s just perfect for a Secret Sister project. THEN I got to the end and saw that it was another All Washed Up design and I said to myself, “Perfect! I know those girls – they’re my friends” which makes it even more perfectly perfect!

37. Fortunagal says:

Thanks for another easy pattern. Looks like it will be very easy to complete with your great directions!

38. katie says:

I love this table runner! Just enough going on in it to be interesting but not overwhelming. As always, a great pattern from All Washed Up!

39. Beautiful fabrics and a great size! I can’t wait to try this!

40. Barbara says:

Great tutorial and beginner friendly!

41. Super simple and soooooo cute….looks like this maybe my 2009 homemade Christmas gifts…..Thanx……………LindaMay

42. Alayne says:

This is adorable and would make a perfect quick gift as well as a great way to use leftovers. Keep up the great designs and fantastic directions.

43. Love this table runner!!!Great tutorial so now I’m off to make one for my mom.

44. Pam B says:

It was love at first sight! I made your table runner over the weekend. I even made the outside border strips 2.25″ wide so threw away even less. I know that I will be making many of these so thank you very much!

45. Cheryl says:

Hi Ladies: Wow, you keep on outdoing yourselves all the time. Great pattern and the tutorial was great. High Tech. I still would have really liked to see Angies picture of the “Horsey Mud”…Cheryl

46. laie_gurl13 says:

ahhhhhhh…..adorable!!!!

47. bunnytopia says:

wow! what a cute table runner can’t wait to make it for my easter dinner table . Brigitte

48. roundhouse says:

Love the table runner, great job angie.

49. Fortunagal says:

I was so surprised to be one of the winners of the kit. I can’t wait to get it made! Thanks Angie and Weezie!

50. dianedavy8 says:

Nice job, Angie. The photos and directions are great. I’ll make more than one!