Baby Blanket

the soft colors of the aviary line is a perfect line for a timeless baby girl quilt.

one aviary honey bun find them in my etsy store.
1 yard of cream cut into 5 strips of 5 1/2 inch strips (you’ll have a little left over)
a little less than 1/2 yard of fabric for binding
2 yards of back fabric

first you’ll want to separate your colors. you’ll want 8 strips for each block (i used 2 colors of each color for each block)

once you have your 8 strips you are going to sew your strips together 2 at a time

press the seams.

once you have two of them together sew 4 together and so forth.

you will end up with all 8 strips sewn together.

cut off the excess so you have a nice clean line

next you are going to cut your strips to 8 1/2 inches in length (which should be your width as well)

once you have all your blocks cut out, you want to place your stripped blocks horizontal and perpendicular

i wanted a square quilt so i laid out 5 squares by 5 squares.

sew your blocks together.

remember the cream fabric that were cut into 5 (5 1/2 in) strips? well take two of them and trim them to 40 1/2 inches

sew them to left and right side of your blocks.

then you will sew the last three 5 1/2 inch strips together (end to end)to make one long strip. (these will make your top and bottom borders.)

cut two strips of 50 1/2 inches. (you will have a little left over )
cut your back fabric to fit the finished front.
you are now ready to quilt your quilt.
my quilt was quilted by the talented Felicia of The Quilting Bee.
She knows that my machine quilting looks like scrambled eggs gone bad…
thanks Felicia for saving my butt on this one and making the quilt that much cuter with your skills!
once all that is done you are ready to bind your quilt.
i have step by step instructions on my blog here

one super cute quilt. And when washed, shrunk and crinkled up mine came out to measure approx 47″ x 47″
instructions and pictures by Vanessa of V and Co

0 comments on “Baby Blanket

1. julie_ says:

Absolutely beautiful!

2. emily says:

i think i might actually be able to make something like that … i’ve never quilted … but i think i’ll have to give it a try!

3. Ariane says:

A beautiful quilt. I love the colors. Perfect for a new baby girl. Love it!!

4. Vickie E says:

Great project for a beginner quilter….just what we needed!

5. karen says:

Excellent tutorial! Great for any beginner or for a quick gift! Just love it.

6. Angela says:

ADORABLE V! I am definitely doing this one! Love the simplicity and timeless appeal. Thanks!

7. Jackie says:

Terrific quick quilt! Lovely!

8. fantabulous darling, fantabulous!!!

p.s. i SO wanna make this with tula pink’s new hushabye line.

9. ~Q~ says:

Beautiful quilt!!! I tried to open the printer friendly version but I get a blank screen. I have been able to successfully open the PDF files in the past so it’s a bit of a puzzle as to why I can’t open this one. And of course I want to make this one right away. 🙂

10. So, so cute! What an easy way to make a treasured baby quilt.

11. Karen says:

Just a question about the last 5 1/2 inch strips for the border.

Do you sew *3* strips together for the top and bottom borders?

12. Kim says:

What a fun way to use Moda’s Honey Buns and I love your pattern design too!

13. Tara says:

It’s beautiful! That fabric spracks for itself!

14. Neabear says:

This is such a cute pattern. I also have a question about the top and bottom borders. Assuming that the cream fabric is 44″ wide, I was wondering how you got strips that are 50 1/2 ” long out of the cream fabric. At first I thought you went the other direction, with the grain, but then the amount to get says 1 yard. So I am kind of puzzled how you got the 50 1/2″. Unless you bought the 60″ wide fabric.

15. Tasha says:

Love love love this!!! I definatly want to attempt this! Maybe my next one. I am thinking this same idea would make a cute table runner too. So fun!

16. Mindy says:

I love this quilt, and the quilting is fabulous!! I want this for me… who needs to give it to a baby girl? 😉

17. V and Co. says:

okay concerning the top and bottom borders: yes i did three strips together. which should be long enough for two strips at 50 1/2 lengths.

18. girlsmama says:

Dear V,

Simply adorable! I think I need a big girl one. Can you do the math for me? 🙂

19. Neabear says:

V and Co,

Okay, now it makes sense. Thanks for answering the question so quick. I am no longer puzzled. 🙂
    My head is on straighter than I thought. LOL!

20. Kara says:

This is a wonderful tutorial! Your quilt is just gorgeous. Now I just need to find me a baby girl that needs a quilt. 🙂

21. ~Q~ says:

Can you clarify what you mean by the top and bottom borders being 3 strips? I’m a bit confused now. I’m also a new quilter so I’m still learning. 🙂 Thanks!

I’m planning to make this quilt for several people regardless of the baby’s gender – just need to pick out the right honey bun and coordinating fabric and I’m on my way!

P.S. I was able to resolve my earlier difficulties with the printer friendly version so that comment can be disregarded.

22. Sandy says:

LOVE IT! I think I could actually make this one…:)

23. Kelly says:

That is a gorgeous quilt! I’m a beginner and I think I’d like to try it! Thanks for sharing!

24. Sproutz says:

The colors are just beautiful!

25. another amy says:

V, great tutorial! What a perfect way to use a honey bun – and it looks so pretty for a baby quilt. Nice.

26. jen duncan says:

Very sweet baby quilt! Lovely machine quilting, too.

27. Amanda says:

It’s beautiful. I love the fabrics you chose. Thanks for the tutorial!

28. Misa says:

really looking forward to following along w/your tutorial to make my own. This is great!

29. Christine says:

What a beautiful quilt!

You said when your quilt was done, you washed it. Did you not wash the fabric before you sewed it together? Is the washing it afterwards what makes it crinkly?

Thanks!

30. ferne says:

Sooo sweet and simple…thanks for sharing your talent!

31. V and Co. says:

christine, yes i do not prewash any of my fabric unless it is to be used in clothing. this way it crinkles around the quiting after its all done. i think it makes it look that much more perfect!!

32. Christine says:

Thank you so much for replying to my question. Can't wait to try my next quilt that way! 🙂

33. Candace says:

I am doing this for my first quilt and I am so excited about it!
    I'm using the Northern Solitude Jelly Rolls and changing the size–I know, it's really smart to change things on my first try, but hey…I'll hope for beginner's luck.
    Thanks so much for posting this!

34. V and Co.,
    I was wondering what cream fabric you used in the example? I love it, and would like to use it.
    Thanks!

35. momhazzard says:

I'm having problems with assembling this. The strips are 2.5″, therefore 8 of them would be considerably larger than the 8.5″ the finished product is supposed to be. Are you using a larger seam allowance than normal. (Traditionally quilts are made with a 1/4″ seam.)