Little Girls Patchwork Skirt

Hi!!
I’m so excited to be a designer at Moda Bake shop, this is my first post! My name is Melissa & I love to think of new creative ways to use fabric. Check out my blog, the Polkadot Chair…www.polkadotchair.blogspot.com. Or my pattern shop fourteen may for more fun ideas!

1-2 Wonderland Charm Packs (depending on size, I used 1, that did not include the t-shirt applique)
1/2 yd matching fabric for waistband and ties
1/2 yd matching fabric for skirt band
1/2″ wide elastic

for optional t-shirt
2 black buttons for owl eyes
heat & bond lite
owl applique download at amazing mae
This will yield a skirt size 6-8, instructions below for changing sizes:
Cut from waistband fabric:
4 waist band pieces (1 waist band front, 1 back, 1 waistband lining front, 1 waistband lining back)
4″x 13″
2 tie pieces
5″ x 23″ (or width of your fabric 22-23″)
From Skirt band fabric cut
2 pieces:
5″ x 32.5″

From your charm pack, lay out a pattern of squares that you would like for the skirt front.

You will have 2 rows of 7 squares.Pin pieces togetherSew the 1st row of 7 squares together using a 1/4″ stitch- it is very important to keep all your seams the same. My machine has a setting for a 1/4″ stitch. Press seams open on row 1.
Repeat for row 2
Pin and sew row 1 to row 2.
Repeat for Skirt back
You will end up with 2 panels, 2 squares by 7.
Mark, with a fabric marker, the 2 edge squares. This is so you will know where your side seams are (this will be important when attaching the skirt to the waist band) Do NOT sew side seams yet.
With right sides together, attach skirt band to bottom of skirt. (skirt band will overlap skirt at this point) Sew with 1/4″ seam.
Press seams towards skirt band.
Sew side seams together.
Turn under bottom edge of skirt band 1/2″ and press.
Fold skirt band in half so that the pressed edge covers the seam of the skirt/skirt band. PIN in place from the RIGHT side of the skirt.Top stitch skirt band. Sew on skirt band about 1/8″ away from skirt bottom seamFold tie pieces in half length wise. Sew with 1/4″ seam. At the end sew and angle, so that the tie comes to a point.Trim. Turn right side out and press.
Repeat for tie #2Take waist band FRONT piece. Pin ties to it, 3/4″ down from the top. Baste in place.Attach waist band BACK to front, sew at side seams. Press open seams.
Sew waist band lining pieces together at side seams. Press open seams.
Sew waistband to waistband lining at TOP seam. Press open.Fold waist band at top seam. Press well. Come down 5/8″ from the top and sew a casing. Leaving a 1″ opening for the elastic.On skirt, run two rows of gathering stitches, starting and stopping at side seams. (it’s easier to gather a skirt in 2 pieces than one really long gathering stitch)Pin RIGHT side of skirt to RIGHT side of skirt band, matching side seams. Sew, being careful not to catch ties in the seams.
Turn skirt inside out. Measure elastic to size and thread though casing. sew elastic together and close casing.
Press under unfinished edge of waistband lining 1/2″. Pin to skirt (covering gathers). Whip stitch closed.
VOILA! Your finished!!
Sizing:
This is how I figured the sizing:
My daughters waist is 20″, normally for gathers you double the waist, but I did not want this skirt as full so I took 20″ x 1.75 = 35″, which is 7 charm squares.
Since she is small I thought 2 rows of squares would look best. If you are making a larger size, add a 3rd row of squares.
If making it smaller, just use less squares across (say 5 or 6 instead of 7)
For the waistband measurement I took her hip measurement.
For the ties I wanted to conserve fabric, so I cut the 1/2 the width of my fabric. They BARELY fit, I would make them longer if you have enough fabric.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions!
Thanks!!

1 skirt per charm pack.

Latest posts by Melissa Mortenson (see all)

0 comments to Little Girls Patchwork Skirt

1. Angela says:

BRAVO! This is sooo cute… I will definitely be making one for Paige! Thanks so much for posting such a wonderful tutorial!

2. V and Co. says:

okay loving it! too cute!

3. sadieloree says:

Absolutely adorable!! And I know I’ve got the perfect charm pack around here somewhere….

4. jabeybaby says:

This is so cute!

5. oh my heavens.
    this is amazingly adorable!!!

6. Laura says:

I love this. I have 2 little girls that are going to love this also. I was wondering how did you make the owl. Do you have a pattern for the owl?

7. Melissa says:

Thanks!
    I posted a link for the pattern for the owl.. it’s at the top under Garnishes!

8. LilyHaven says:

Fantastic. So sweet of you to share. :)

9. dotti white says:

Great job! And this is so very cute! I think my granddaughter would love one! Beautiful work!

10. Olya-lya says:

super! Bravo!!!!!!!

11. Carmie says:

Darling!! Is a “printer-friendly” version coming? It’s just easier since heaven knows I may not get to it this week! :)

12. Sherri says:

This is sooo cute! What a great idea!

13. madrekarin says:

Adorable! Wish my daughter was still small. :)

14. Holy cow! That is the cutest thing ever! So glad I found your blog!

15. Darling! I AM linking!

16. Larissa says:

how cool is this? just bought this charm pack and now I know what I’m going to do with it. thanks!

17. LFinn says:

I think I want to adapt this idea for me, and not for my daughter…or maybe we could have matching patchwork skirts…
    Too fun!

18. 9patch says:

This is adorable! I think I’m going to make one for myself! :)

19. Christy says:

Love this too! May try one in my size … would need lots more fabric though!

20. made one love it can't wait to give it to my grandaughter. thanks

21. Jenn Ballard says:

Awesome – my 9 y.o loves it and wants to make it … hmmm! I don't even know if i can do it – however your tutorial looks very detailed so i should be right ;) Hope so – will let you know.

22. Alicia says:

I love this! To those of you commenters who made this for yourself, any tips on how much fabric to use?

23. Betsy says:

I was looking at this pattern and wondering- you say you did 20″ x 1.75 for the gather which is 7 charm squares, but then you use 14 squares because you have 7 in the front and 7 in the back- is this correct? That would then be a total of about 70 inches around instead of the 35 inches. Can you help me understand this?

24. Kelly says:

I made 3 of these this past week! One for my step daughter (8 years old) and 2 for my nieces (3 years old and 18months). These skirts are darling! I love this idea and the instructions were very clear and super helpful.

To Betsy who was wondering about 35inches vs. 70inches/ 7 squares vs. 14 squares… I don't know a lot about sewing, but I can tell you that it works out having essentially 70inches/14 squares all together, I believe because the rows get gathered so much. Even for the littlest ones that I made for my nieces, I still used 7 squares across because their waists were about 18 inches around (instead of 20, like the girl in the pattern's).

I also made the waists adjustable by creating an opening in the side and using elastic with button holes cut in it. You just pull the elastic as tight as you need it and secure it with the button.