My newest project for Moda Bake Shop is a quick & easy gift bag. Just fill it up with a matching charm pack and maybe even a cute teddy bear too. You could also add any quilt notions and more fat quarters if you like. What a fun gift to give to your quiltie peeps.
- I’ve also made the gift bag as a birthday present for my daughter’s friends and filled it with things like make-up, nail polish, jewelry and candy. I’ve even put a Webkinz inside the bag along with other treats. The girls are crazy about these bags.
- Give it as a party favor filled with treats at your child’s birthday party.
- You could also fill the bag and give it as a gift to your quilt group.
So Let’s Begin:
- 4 fat quarters from the Snippets Collection by American Jane
- 1 Snippets Charm Pack by American Jane (this will be put inside the bag as a gift)
- Cereal Box Cardboard (to put in bottom of bag for stability)
- Cardstock (to cover cereal box cardboard)
- Double-stick Tape (to stick fabric to cereal box cardboard)
The picture below shows the pieces you will have when you’re done cutting your fabric, cereal box cardboard, and cardstock according to the list below.
- Red Floral Fabric (outside of bag): Cut 2 pieces @ 7″ x 8″
- Paper Doll Fabric (bag lining): Cut 2 pieces @ 7″ x 8″
- Red Plaid (Handles): Cut 2 pieces @ 2″ x 10″
- Red Polka Dot (Pleated Edge): Cut 2 pieces @ 4″ x 12″
- Cereal Box Cardboard: Cut 1 piece @ approx. 2 1/4″ x 5 1/8″ (trim to fit if needed)
- Cardstock: Cut 1 piece @ 2: x 5″
1. Take the Red Floral Fabric with right sides together and sew the two (7″) sides and the (8″) bottom of the bag. Clip corners.
2. Take the Paper Doll Fabric with right sides together and sew the two (7″) sides and the (8″) bottom of the bag. Clip corners.
3. Take the Red Plaid fold with right sides together and sew. Then turn right sides out, press, and sew two lines of top stitching on both sides of each handle. Then sew a wavy line down the middle if you desire.
6. You will take the side seams and match them up while moving your fingers down the bag. This will create the bottom of the bag when you’re done. Repeat for the outside of the bag too. Let the top edge of the bag fall to the right (see picture below).
14. Fold the fabric in half making sure the seams match, then press the fold. Mark the center for each side of the pleat (in between the side seams). You will also make a mark at 1″ and 2″ on each side of the center.
19. Now you will make the bottom insert by taking your cardboard and covering it with a piece of fabric. I used heavy duty double-stick tape. Then I place the cardstock over the back of the fabric to finish it off. Now place it into the bottom of your bag for stability.
- 3 Charmed Gift Bags out of 4 fat quarters.
I will then pick a WINNER on Saturday, August 1st.