Charming Drawstring Beach Bag

“What am I going to use to take my flip flops and bikini to the beach? I need to look stylish, but be practical….you know how that sand gets in everything. I know, I will whip up a fast beach bag with that adorable Charm pack I have been saving….all the girls will be so jealous!”

~~1- 40 count Charm Pack
~~1-package Extra wide- double fold bias tape

1. Lay out all your charm squares and arrange them to your liking.

2. Sew- 4 squares across and 5 squares down. Make 2 of these.

~~ONE~~
~~ TWO~
3. From the top, measure down 1″ from the top of the 2nd square. Put a pin on the mark, and on the seam. This will be a 1″ hole for the drawstring. Mark all 4 of the long sides.

4. Sew down the length of the 5 squares starting at the top, leaving open the inch you marked. Be sure to back stitch before and after the 1″ hole. Sew around the 2 sides and bottom of the bag, leaving the top along the 4 squares open. Make sure you leave open the 1″ hole on the second side of the bag as you sew.

5. Press open the side seams to just past the hole.6. Stitch around the entire hole. Do both sides of the bag.
7. Press the top of the bag down 1/3″ along the top.
8. Fold down the top 2- 1/2″ sew around the entire bag. Sew on the edge of the 2-1/2″ seam.
9. Sew around the entire bag again, 5/8″ from the top. This will make the casing for the drawstring.
10. Turn the bag inside out. Pull bottom corners to a point, mark 2-1/2″ from the point.
11. Mark with a pen or pencil, and sew along the line. This makes a box pleat in the bottom of the bag so your things are easier to find.
12. Cut the corner off, leaving a 1/4″ seam.
“I just love that this bag has a drawstring, so easy to open and close. So easy to get to my sun tan lotion….sunscreen you say? Not me, I want to be TAN!”
THE DRAWSTRING:

Cut 2-44″ lengths of bias tape.
This is what the double bias tape looks like when you open up the folds.
Now close it and sew along the open edge.
Like this.
Using a large safety pin, thread the bias tape through the casing going around the entire bag.
Coming out the same hole you went into.
Pull the bias tape until the ends match up.
Tie the ends together in a knot, like you would a balloon.
Using the safety pin, thread the 2nd bias tape through the other hole, coming out the same place you started. As you pull the bias tape strings, it is actually pulling itself because they each went all the way around the bag.
“Okay, girls, let’s go! Gota love this bag!!!”
One very fast, stylish beach bag….or gym bag, just right for your gym shoes.
Aprox. 17″ x 17″
WASH in warm water. DRY in dryer.

Latest posts by Sheri Howard (see all)

0 comments to Charming Drawstring Beach Bag

1. jaybird says:

super cute sheri!… and easy… i have a charm pack of nest but its reserved for a project… so now i gotta figure out what charm pack to use… hmm…

2. madrekarin says:

Very cute bag and very cute model. :)

3. Very cute. I'm camping at the beach, right now, for 2 weeks. Yesterday, I thought I needed to make a bag to hold my flip flops when I was walking on the beach since holding them gets in the way of shell collecting. I even have material left over from the quilt I made yesterday here. I know what I am making today. Thanks.

4. Stacey says:

that is awesome!! it would be great for some books too!! we do not travel to the beach here, but the kids could use this for books, action figures, etc. thanks a bunch!!!

5. lissa says:

What cute project, an adorable model and I want her bike.

6. What a cute and easy bag…I love it.

7. Do you sell these?

8. sewmeow says:

Thanks for the simple, but adorable idea. I'm going to make some for sure!

9. V and Co. says:

ah i want her bike! and now i want to go to the beach but i'm stuck in utah…so is the life of a former san diegian…cute bag!

10. cute model.
    cute bike.
    cute bag.

11. Mona says:

This is what I need to do!

Cute everything!

12. Amanda says:

This would be perfect for when I go to beach in Florida in a couple of weeks! Thanks!!!

Your model is adorable.

13. jen duncan says:

That's a great bag Sheri and I LOVE the photo shoot!!!

14. Rose says:

Very cute, love the photo captions, and the Nest material :)

15. Sara says:

Great idea!

16. Hello,

I am a frequent visitor of your site and wanted to invite you to one of my favorite sites.

I am on a forum called The Dressing Room. It's for all the moms, females out there who love to blog, or who want to start one, those who love photography, crafts, and also for all the WAHM's. Basically we talk about all of our hobbies and help out other WAHM's and businesses get their name out there.

We'd love to let you know about our advertising opportunities. We have very affordable advertising options starting as low as $5. If you're interested, please join and take a look at our Announcements and WAHM forums where you'll find the prices and how to move forward with advertising with us.

Thanks,
    Meghan

17. Love this bag! So great!

18. Suzanne says:

nice little bag, beautiful model…

19. Trish says:

I can't wait to use one of my recently purchased charm packs for a bag like this. Looks Great!!

20. What a cute bag and that little gal is adorable!!!!

21. upstateLisa says:

great bag! even greater model! :-)

22. Great bag!! Do you have a printer friendly tab???

23. Great bag for many things, just need to pick out a charm pack to use. Think I will make one to use to take to the state fair. Could you add a printer friendly tab??? Thanks!!

24. Hi! I just happened to suddenly find myself on your blog and I LOVE it! You are so talented, everything you make is beautiful!! I've been thinking lately to make a quilt for the first time and after seeing everything here I'm excited!! you've inspired me :D

25. Perrine says:

Hello!
    I really like your how to. I was wondering if I could translate it in French and add it to my list of how to as explained in my french post (http://www.petitcitron.com/index.php/form_howto.html)
    Of course, your website would be quoted and there would be a link!
    Perrine