Christmas Table Topper

2 crazy eight charm packs {you’ll need 81 charms total.}
2 yards white bella solids
2 yards backing
1/2 yard binding

lay out 9 different charms that you like together.
{don’t forget to throw in some contrast!!!}

sew the 1st row. pressing seams to the right.
sew the 2nd row. pressing seams to the left.
and then sew the 3rd row. pressing seams to the right again.
{this will ensure perfect seams.}

join row 1 & row 2. press.
join rows 1 & 2 with row 3. press again.

congratulations…you have a completed 9-patch block!!!
moving on…

make sure that your block is nice and square.
{it should be if you used a TRUE 1/4″ seam allowance.}

spray your block with a light spray starch {like magic sizing} & press.
then cut your block in half longways. {horizontally}

cut in half tallways. {vertically.}
now you have 4 different sections.
simply turn the sections to create a new pattern, like so…

sew the top 2 sections together. press seam to the right.
sew the bottom 2 sections together. press seam to the left.
{this will ensure perfect seams.}

sew top and bottom together and press.

give yourself a pat on the back!!!
you’ve just made a disappearing 9-patch block the SUPER easy way!!!

now rinse and repeat to make 8 more of these bad boys.
{making a grand total of nine 13 1/2″ blocks.}

from the 2 yards of white bella solids cut:
twelve 13 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strips
& four 52 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strips

take your first block and add a 13 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip to both sides of the block.

add your second block to the right side of the previous strip.
add a 13 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip to the right side of that block as well.

then add your third block to the right side of the previous strip.
add a 13 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip to the right side of that block.

you will rinse and repeat to make 2 more of these rows.
{making a grand total of 3 rows.}

note: if you are confused, here is the pattern you are following for each row:
sashing, block, sashing, block, sashing, block, sashing.

now it’s time to complete the quilt top.
to the top row add one 52 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip.
join rows 1 & 2 with another 52 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip.
then join rows 1 & 2 with row 3 with another 52 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip.
and lastly, to the bottom row add the last 52 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ strip.
{be prepared to trim your edges down a bit.}

note: if you are confused, here is the pattern you are following for the top:
sashing, pieced row, sashing, pieced row, sashing, pieced row, sashing.

here is what your quilt top should resemble.

layer. baste. quilt. & bind.
{and of course don’t forget to wash & dry it for that straight from the dryer crinkly goodness.}

voila…
you have a SUPER cute christmas table topper!!!
measuring 48″ x 48″ it still makes the cut as a cozy christmas lap quilt too.

and don’t stop at christmas fabrics!!!
you can choose a number of lines to tailor this for a baby shower quilt, a dorm room quilt or even that perfect movie watching quilt.
endless possibilities.
{you can easily change the overall size by making your sashings wider. easy peasy.}

no matter what you make it, you’ll impress all the people on your gift list this christmas with this under the tree!!!
promise.
get them while they’re hot!!!
table topper kits are available at the quilt shoppe!!!

rachel of p.s. i quilt

Latest posts by Rachel Griffith (see all)

0 comments to Christmas Table Topper

1. Chris says:

Rachael this is just so cute and sooo easy! I made the table runner back a few months ago using your tute for a disappearing nine patch, would love to do this one too! Thanks for the inspiration!!! Oh, btw, glad your back from your vacation and glad you had a great time. :)

2. jaybird says:

seriously how am i going to get anything done if you keep giving me new cute projects??… you know i have to make one!! super cute and super rachel!

3. Michele says:

How cute is that? I must make one! Great job!

4. Dianne says:

Thanks for a great tutorial! Very cute!

5. Stacey says:

aww, that is my fave!! you rock chicka!! i totally need to find me some of that fabric, and make me one for this xmas!!

6. PunkiePie says:

Cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

7. Robin says:

This is so cute…and way easier to do than I was thinking…I didn't even see the disappearing nine patches at first! Awesome!

8. mascanlon says:

Oh my gosh, what a clever way to make a block that looks complicated! I have to make this! Hmm…some fabulous Fall fabrics out there right now too!

9. lissa says:

Yeah ! Christmas in July. Here in Texas over 100 degrees every day! Cute and easy project

10. Eila says:

Thanks for a great tutorial! Beautiful!

11. Rach! That is so cute! I love your fabric selection! Such an easy pattern too. Definitely going to add this to my project list. Jenn

12. Rach! That is so cute! I love your fabric selection! Such an easy pattern too. Definitely going to add this to my project list. Jenn

13. Needled Mom says:

Super cute. I have always loved the disappearing nine patch.

14. Amy R says:

Rachel – you always choose such great fabrics and your tutorials are the best! Thanks so much. . . .

15. Lexilooo says:

that is adorable! I think I'd like to try making this!

16. Nancy says:

This is absolutely darling. I have a baby quilt to make and this would be the best pattern. Off to locate baby charms…

17. Beautiful work and GREAT instructs. Just ordered the charm packs to make this one. You rock woman!!!

18. Fantastic project Rachel! Way cute! ooxx`jodi

19. You made that disappearing nine patch look so simple! I love the result.
    I would like to print this, but cannot figure out a way to do this. I cannot be running back and forth from my computer to my sewing machine to construct one of these. The possibilities are endless. I think I would like to use this to teach my daughters how to quilt. I know they would feel so accomplished if they could do something that looks so difficult, yet so simple!
    thanks for the great tutorial.
    ~a

20. Heather says:

I love it!!! I will have to make this with my new currently acquired Christmas Moda prints!!! Really excited – such clear instructions – thanks!

21. Sheri Howard says:

So FUN! So FAST!! Thanks for that, I am going to make a bunch for Christmas gifts!!! If I start now, I may have them done by Thanksgiving to give away!!

22. dotti white says:

Rachel…you are such an amazing gal! This is so sweet! I love doing the disappearing nine patch this way! I will definitely be making this one! Have a wonderful weekend!

23. Barbara McD says:

This is one of the best patterns I've seen on here in awhile – way to go, Racheal! Keep up the good work!

24. Pat says:

What a wonderful, super-clear tutorial. Thanks for describing it so perfectly!

25. A L and K says:

that is really cute. I've seen the blocks before on a quilt called Split 9s, but I like the white sashing between.

26. V and Co. says:

love it rachel!

27. JG says:

What a great design!!! Thanks!!!

28. You never cease to amaze me!

Adorable, adorable and so quick & easy!
    I'll be kitting these up for sure :)

Lani

29. Mary says:

Rachael, I love it. But will have to wait til I come back from my vacation to New Hampshire to see the Grandson. Maybe I will have time there to make it. Your tutorial is great. Keep up the great work.

30. Coffee_Queen says:

Another beautiful quilt! You go girl! Thanks for the Bake Shop tutorial so we can all make one.

-Marilyn Griffith

31. Donnelly says:

Another awesome project! You are so talented. Thank you for sharing with us. Have a great day.

32. Candace says:

Thanks for this, Rachel! An awesome, easy project! Way to go!!
    Cheers!

33. Deb says:

I was about to make the table runner you put in the bake shop for a friend's 40th, but this is even better. I've got all the ingredients!

34. synnove75 says:

Oh so cute! Think I'm gonna make this wery soon. Thank you soooo much!

35. Shawn says:

Very nice, I love it, thanks so much for your great instruction!

36. Sheila says:

I REALLY like this project!!! I am on my way to my sewing room to pull out some charm packs!

37. Kim says:

This is just what I was looking for!
    A quick and easy pattern for a baby quilt…..so cute too.
    Nice job Rachael.

38. Beautiful quilted table topper Rachel!

39. happy zombie says:

Rachel, this is so crazy cute! I love that 9-patch trick, but never has it looked so killer as it does the way you've set it! You rock!

40. thanks for all the SUPER sweet comments yall.

41. I would love to try this. You make it look so easy. I love the squares!

42. Donna says:

Well, Miss Rachel, you know how I feel about your disappearing nine patches! Here we go again … !!!
    Way to go, you rock, girlfriend!

43. That is a great shortcut to making a really fancy-looking quilt block! love it!

44. Very nice, Rachel! Great pattern and wonderful fabrics. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial.

45. Lorna says:

Hi Rachel – shared your pattern after raving about it with my gammill customers! They love it and will be sending me their quilts! I made a three square table runner with a moda christmas charm pack from ages ago and it is just fab – gift making time has started!

46. Holli says:

That is just so adorable! I'm a newbie quilter and it's just right for what I wanted. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

47. Trisha says:

So cute, Rachel! Love the colors!

48. Heather says:

This is super cute. I may have to whip out a few of these!

49. Thanks For the tutorial It is Gorgeous.
    Hugs Mary.

50. Started mine tonight and posted about it on my blog – Thanks for the pattern.

51. Carmen Rigby says:

I love that you have a Christmas project posted in July. Gets me motivated for gifts and holiday time!

52. Barb says:

I love this. I've just been making my christmas plans for crafting-I'll add this to the pile!

53. Chaya says:

Hi Rachel

I loved the well written clear instructions.

I would appreciate your permission to translate the article to Hebrew for the Israeli Patchwork forum at: http://www.tapuz.co.il/Forums2008/ForumPage.aspx?ForumId=2025

Thanks!

54. folksmith says:

Too cute, can't wait to give it a try. Great instructions. Thanks

55. okcmama says:

great tutorial and such a fabulous tablerunner…just in time for Chritmas giving!! Thanks so much.

56. Momtomanda says:

I am just about finished with this quilt. Just adorable. It only took me 2 days. Great pattern.

57. Zina says:

I saw an alternative fall version of this runner with your fabric on Peanut Blossom this morning:

I love the simplicity of the process! It is fascinating how different it can look with different material. Tooled around a bit, love your blog.

58. brunella says: