Eva Patchwork Memo Board

Hi, it’s Melissa from the Polkadot Chair. I’m excited to share this memo board idea with you. I know that the memo board idea has been around for a while, but I thought this was a fun new twist on it. It is a great way to show off the beautiful Eva fabric and a perfect project if you are a beginning quilter. (the ribbon will hide your seams *grin*).
The charm pack is perfect to use with this since you will get to use a large variety of fabrics to add interest and color to your board. I designed this board with cork so that it could do double duty. You could use it as a memo board or a pin board.
Enjoy!

1 Eva Charm Pack

1/4″ wide ribbon
Buttons of various sizes
1 piece of foam core (buy it at your local craft store)
1 package of cork tile squares
fusible fleece

Frame
Spray Paint

I designed my memo board to fit in a 12×16 frame that I already had (I spray painted it to match the fabric). This is the layout that I came up with to fit best in the frame. It seems like you will have extra squares, but you need to have enough give to wrap around the back of the cork and secure to the back of the frame.

Sew the squares together like this. Use 1/4″ seams.
Next assemble your board base.
Cut a piece of foam core to 12×16. Double check that it fits in your frame, it needs to be a bit loose to allow room for the fabric.
To cut the foam core just use your rotary cutter and ruler… use an old blade since it will dull your blade.
Cut and piece the cork squares to fit on the foam core pieces. You can also use your rotary cutter to cut the cork. Using hot glue secure at the corners. Cover the entire piece of foam core.
Next cut 2 pieces of fusible fleece the same size as the foam core. You are making a sandwich. It will look like this from the side. You will have foam core, cork board, 2 layers fusible fleece then your fabric.
If you wish, at this point add a monogram or applique image to one of the squares of your memo board.
Then, iron the fusible fleece onto the backside of your charm square piece on the section of it that you want to SHOW in your frame. DOUBLE CHECK it is in the right spot before you iron it on.
Next trim the fabric so that it is 2″ wider than the fusible fleece on all sides.
Now you will begin to lay out your ribbon. Begin at one corner and working diagonally, start by pinning ribbon the width of your fabric along the seams.
Next, start laying ribbon in the opposite direction. Every place that the ribbon overlaps place a pin. You will put a button here later. (make sure the ribbon is taught)
Using your sewing machine, stitch the ends of each piece of ribbon down. This will prevent it slipping when you hand sew on your buttons.
Using buttons of random sizes, begin hand sewing them on. You will sew them on each place the ribbon overlaps that will show in the frame.
Take your fabric piece and lay it over the cork/foam core piece. Using a hot glue gun, generoulsy glue the fabric and ribbon to the back. Make sure that you put a dot of glue under the ends of each piece of ribbon.
Flip it over and it will look like this! When you are done slip it into your frame and secure. Hang it up and enjoy!
1 memo board per charm pack.

Latest posts by Melissa Mortenson (see all)

0 comments to Eva Patchwork Memo Board

1. eamylove says:

GENIUS! This is the sweetest, most inventive thing I've seen yet on BakeShop, and I love a LOT of them! I'm going to make one, I swear!

2. How cute!! I want one for my studio, for the girls room, by the computer…..!
    Thanks!

3. BillieSews says:

Oh, my, another must-do — how creative. My project pile just keeps growing and growing…..

4. Mauri says:

I love it! That is such a cute idea. Thanks!

5. Bowlby says:

I love this project! Thanks for the idea.

6. I love all the fabulous ideas and patterns that you offer here! Now if only there were a shop that sells all your lovely fabrics within a reasonable distance to me, I would be in heaven! …or in big trouble!

MGM

7. Elsa says:

I've always liked the idea of a memo board, but never saw one that I really liked … this one is wonderful! love it! thanks for sharing!!!

8. Needled Mom says:

BEAUTIFUL! Perfect for getting back to school dorms too.

9. VERY COOL! Thank you so much for sharing! :) Have a LOVELY day!!

10. cozy at home says:

SO adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jabeybaby says:

I love this! I will definately have to make one of these.

12. Adrienne says:

I love this idea and I have some fabric that needs to be fussy-cut (with sewing designs) for my sewing room board. Thank you for sharing this inspiration today! ~Adrienne~

13. Awesome tutorial. I love how easy it looks because you could make one for each holiday. I will definatly have to make a couple for the fall holidays! Great tutorial!

14. PunkiePie says:

Oh yes! Add this one to my to do list! For sure! It's awesome. I'm going to make one for my daughter and one for myself.

15. Brittany says:

Thanks for this! It's so cute!!! I love it. I'm linking it to my blog.

16. B3Boutique says:

LOVE this!!!! Thanks so much!!!

2 questions, though…
    Do you use one of the fusible fleece for the fabric backing & leave the other on top of the cork? Or is a 3rd piece of fleece cut for the fabric backing?

17. Heather says:

This looks great. I made a board like this several years ago that does not look nearly as good.

18. jen duncan says:

This looks really cute. Great way to get some fabric into a room decor. :-) thanks!

19. SUPER cute melissa!!!
    is it bad that i want one in every room of my house???
    everyone needs a memo board in the bathroom, right???
    *wink*

20. jaybird says:

cute! cute! i gotta make one some day…

21. Rose says:

Oh.My.God. I love this!!! Awesome!!

22. I'm going to make this for my daughter's room. She's five and has been in the nursery all this time in a toddler bed. She gets her new room soon and this would be perfect. I made one for my son a few years ago but that was just one fabric- I love this patchwork idea! Thanks.

23. blackanna says:

Thank you so much for such a cute idea!!! It would a great present for X-mas.

24. Holley says:

That is very cool. I want to try it right away.

Thanks.

25. Donnelly says:

I have been redoing my bedroom and have been at a loss for what to put on the walls. When I saw this, it was a light-bulb moment! It will be perfect. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Have a great day.

26. this is great! i can't wait to make one. . . or two. . . or three. i tried to put ribbon on a bulletin board once before but i never thought about the fabric as well, it adds so much charisma to it!

27. V and Co. says:

oh i love this!

28. Lisa says:

Soooooooooooo LOVE this idea! Very different from all the others and everybody is getting one for Christmas this year. Thanks for the instructions!