Baby Doll Bunting

Looking for a quick handmade gift for a little girl?
I have just the project for you.  In as little as 45 minutes you can whip up one of these cute little buntings.
Baby Doll Bunting 12 X 19 inches
Moda Spring Fever Layer Cake by Me & My Sister or 9 {10 inch squares}
• Batting 19.5 X 24 inches
• 3/4 yard lining fabric Spring Fever or other Moda basic cut to 19.5 X 24 inches
• basic sewing supplies, needle, thread etc.
• walking foot
• Choose 9 layer cake squares {10 inch squares}
• cut each square into 8.5 inches X 7 inches rectangle
• arrange and sew  the pieces in a nine patch similar to this, alternating lights and darks
• if you haven’t already, cut the lining and batting 19.5 X 24
• layer lining right side up, bunting top right side down and batting as shown.
• starting in the middle of what will become your ‘bottom’ sew 1/4 seam around the perimeter of the quilt sandwich.
• Stop about 4-5 inches from your starting point to leave an area for turning.
• Clip corners to reduce bulk
• After sewing your ‘quilt sandwich’ should look similar at the opening.
• turning it out
• clipped corner
• Once piece is turned, iron to smooth edges.
• Pin the opening closed as shown.
• Sew a 1/4 inch top stitch around the perimeter of the quilt being careful to catch your opening to finish the edge.
• Quilt center using a walking foot to help prevent shifting.
• Consider quilting an X through the centers of the rectangles or meander edge to edge.
• This project would be a great way to practice your machine quilting technique.
• Here’s a view of the lining.
• Next lay the piece on your work surface with lining facing up.
• Fold in the sides of the bunting to meet in the center.
• Overlap the center front about 1/4 inch and carefully pin together about 6 inches from the top all the way to the bottom.
• You do you not want to catch the fabric underneath.
• Next, top stitch over your original top stitching slowly.
• You do NOT want to catch the fabric underneath.
• In order to achieve this, roll the quilt piece as you stitch to ‘take up’ the bulk.
• near the top you may have to stop and stitch from the opposite direction due to the bulk of the piece.
• you will end up with a ‘tube’.
• Pin across the bottom edge and sew over the original top stitching if possible.
Fold down the top edge to expose the lining a bit.
And there you have it, only 45 minutes later, a quick, easy, baby doll bunting that any little girl will love.
* Happy Holidays *

Vickie E

Latest posts by Vickie Eapen (see all)

0 comments to Baby Doll Bunting

1. SUPER cute vickie.

i might have to whip one of these up for miss melanie for christmas.

2. whitey says:

What a great gift idea but I am afraid it would take me a day and a half just to get my sewing room organized enough to find everything I would need!

3. Barb says:

What a great gift idea (especially with a baby doll thrown in for good measure!) Thanks.

4. Shasta says:

Oh I love it! Thanks cute lady!

5. Oh that is just soooooo darn cute!!!! I can't wait until I get grandbabies!!!!

6. Jackie says:

Vickie, Very cute!! Perfect for a little girl's dolly.

7. Nancy says:

Well done…. You have a monderfull “chef” …..
    Merry Christams
    kisses

8. I'm making one for my daughter!! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

9. PunkiePie says:

Love it! Very cute!!

10. Lara says:

Dear Moda Bakeshop,

Please stop posting such wonderful items… Just when I think I am getting on top of my to do list, I visit the latest post and add to my list again.

Lara

PS – Vicki this is a sweet little gift… I'll pop one on my list of little girl gifts for the birthday round next year! Thank you!

11. Emily says:

This will be so great!! Now I'll only have to help my daughter wrap up her baby once instead of every five minutes. She will love it as much as I will.

12. Thanks for this tutorial. I whipped one up last night out of predominantly pink fabrics in my stash. I can testify that it only takes 45 min or so to complete. My little girl will love this for her baby dolls!

13. CONNY*MADE says:

hello taht is very sweet,
    i love that idee.

greatings conny

14. HMG says:

Too cute!! I may have to whip one up right quick :-).

15. Bonnie says:

OMG! I just love coming to your blog. There is always something exciting to see and try. I made the doll quilt from your tutorial and it came out pretty cute. Now, I am going to try this…only thing is, I'm not sure what top stitching is. This is too darn cute!

16. Marie says:

This is so cute. I wonder if you could use a split zipper and then sew across the bottom once it was sewn in. That would eliminate the issue of difficult to sew because of the narrowness of the tube. Also, how much larger would it have to be for “newborn” size?