Quilted Ironing Board Cover

Hi! My name is Jenny and I am so excited to be a designer here at the Bake Shop! This is my first recipe.

If your ironing board cover is dull as dishwater, it may be time to spruce it up! I guarantee ironing will be a little more fun when you have something pretty to iron on, like Kate Spain’s gorgeous Verna line.

1 Jelly Roll – Verna by Kate Spain

2 Yards of Muslin

Luna Batting – Crib Size

3 Yards of 1/2″ Wide Ribbon

Coordinating Thread

* Note: all seams are 1/4″

1. Sew three jelly roll strips right sides together along long sides. Press. Repeat with three additional jelly roll strips.

2. Layer pieced jelly roll strips right sides together. Stitch along each long end to create a tube.

3. With a 10″ square ruler (or 10″ square template made of posterboard), cut tube into 5 blocks as pictured:

4. Press blocks open.

5. Repeat Steps 1-4 four more times for a total of 5 tubes and 25 blocks.

6. Arrange blocks into a grid of 3 blocks across and 8 blocks down. You will have one leftover block from Step 5. Sew the blocks into rows, then join the rows together. Press well.

7. Lay your pieced quilt top right side down on the floor. Place your ironing board on top. Add 3.5″ to the perimeter of the ironing board. Trace. Cut along traced line.

8. Cut batting and muslin to match quilt top. Sandwich batting between muslin and quilt top. Baste and quilt as desired.

9. Serge, pink, overcast, or zig-zag perimeter to prevent fraying.

10. Press and pin perimeter 3/4″ to the wrong side. Edge stitch perimeter to create a channel for the ribbon drawstring. Be sure to leave a 3″ opening in the back of the cover to thread ribbon!

11. On the center back of quilt top (directly above 3″ opening), sew a buttonhole parallel to stitched line. Slice open with an X-acto knife.

12. Thread ribbon through button hole and entire ironing board channel. Hand stitch 3″ opening closed, leaving only enough room for threaded ribbon. Place quilted cover on ironing board. Pull ribbon snugly and tie in a bow!

One sassy ironing board cover!

Enjoy!

Latest posts by Jenny Garland (see all)

0 comments to Quilted Ironing Board Cover

1. lissa says:

It is about time Ironing was a fashion sport! Adorable!

2. Pia says:

Great. Love it …

3. adorable AND simplistic.
    great job.

4. Oooh! I have been needing a new one for a while – this is just the push I need to get started! Fabulous!

5. Pete says:

Bravo! Thanks for the imagination, skill, and clear and colorful instructions. :)

Ever since Kate designed Verna, I've dreamed of trying my hand at covering our I-Love-Lucy era ironing board with … why, yes, Verna.

Wow, Kate just forwarded me this great MBS recipe. What a clarion call to me (and to all who iron on dishwater-colored ironing boards) to seize the day. Now I must absolutely beautify our board.

Thanks!

Pete Spain

6. allsewnup says:

My ironing board has been pleading for a new cover…this is the boost I and it desire.
    Thank you for the tute.

Carolyn

7. Kim Walus says:

What a great project. Everything about it is fantastic. It's Practical, functional and gorgeous.

I'm just going to have to make one of these here soon.

8. Trish says:

This is must project for me! Can't wait to try it, thanks!

9. kate spain says:

oh i love love this!! Jenny, you did such a beautiful job! And most of what my hubby wrote was true – except the part about him actually making this! Thanks so much for a wonderful project :)

10. Needled Mom says:

It's so pretty that I would hate to use it!

11. deros says:

I hate this process (ironing), but if I had a board – should have done it without stopping

12. karenfae says:

lovely!! would hate to have this get all those brown scorched marks on it though!
    Karen

13. Kimberly says:

Oh I need to make this for my girlfriend… her ironing board cover is, um, how should I put this… ready to retire!

14. Brenda says:

I had to leave a comment. MY gasp was heard around the house when I saw this cover. WOW! Now why didn't I think of that?! Oh, it's just too pretty for ironing but if I had to iron I sure would be happier doing it if my Ironing board looked like that! Amazing! Thanks for sharing this one. You made my day! B=)

15. I love this and can scratch a new ironing board off my shopping list.
    Once again there is no printer version, does anyone know what has happened with this option?? I am in transition right now so I am having to get on here on my cell phone so I need to be able to run someplace to print these recipes…HELP!!!!
    Sheila
    Magicaldamselfly@gmail.com

16. jaybird says:

so cute!! i really need to spruce up my ironing board!

17. Cheryl says:

Jenny,
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial for this. I may never purchase an ironing board cover again. Love this.

18. Angie says:

That is the prettiest ironing board I've ever seen!

19. KatieQ says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I REALLY love this pattern. So pretty, but so incredibly practical. Can't wait to make it.

20. So cute! Congrats on your first recipe! Can you use elastic instead of ribbon? The ribbon is awful cute though. Great job. Jenn

21. jen duncan says:

That is one cute ironing board cover! Of course; I would absolutely croak the first time my iron sputtered brown water on it :-O but it sure would be great for lookin' at ;-).

22. a blogger says:

Wow, this is much easier than I thought it would be, thanks so much for the great step by step photos! To the commenter above, I had that little spitting problem too. I bought a new iron and vowed to never put water in it, I just use a water spray bottle instead and it works extremely well.

23. Amy C. says:

Great project! Have you tried using insulbright refractory batting for this? Someone recommended that I give it a shot for ironing board covers.

24. so pretty, i love it.
    I am wondering however if I were to meander quilt it then would those impressions go through to the item I was ironing? Is it better to straight stitch quit it?

25. Super cool! I'd hate to iron on it and ruin it!

26. Quilt Hollow says:

Fantastic Idea!!!!!

27. Oh THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I had been hoping to find a good “recipe” for an ironing board and this is exactly what I needed.
    Thanks again!

28. jabeybaby says:

Oh I love this! I have been in need of a new ironing board cover for awhile and this will be perfect! Thanks for sharing!!

29. Sarah says:

Jenny,
    You've done it again! Love this!!
    -Sarah from Create Studio

30. NURIA says:

Simple and great job.
    Thanks

Nuria Spain

31. Kate says:

SUCH great timing. I was just at Khols last week and had an new ironing board cover in my cart. Not only was it UGLY but it was 15 bucks!!! So, I ended up putting it back. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this. Thanks so much for the great directions too. I couldn't figure out how to make new one. duh!! This is fantabulous (yes, this is a word, just ask my kids. ;)

32. This is GREAT! I have never thought of giving to my ironing board such a great look. I'm adding this project to my “to do” list. Thanks for sharing.

33. Kim says:

Totally awesome. Should brighten up any sewing room.

34. You all are SO sweet!! I'm so glad you like the recipe.

*You could definitely use elastic instead of ribbon. Just pull until taut and zigzag stitch the ends together (make sure you zigzag a few times to make it secure).

*I haven't used Insulbrite for this project but believe it would also be a great batting to use.

*I haven't had issues with the meandering pattern imprinting on whatever I'm pressing. Maybe if you press a lot of fine fabric like silk this may be an issue and you might want to stitch in the ditch. I almost always iron cotton.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Jenny

35. Nicole says:

This is adorable, I need one bad! This just might make ironing fun!

36. The ironing board cover is gorgeous.

37. Fabulous!! This could inspire me to iron something besides fabric.

38. Marta says:

I love!……thanks

39. Kim D. says:

Great Idea Jenny!! Gorgeous fabrics and it's so pretty I'd hate to get wonder under and water spills on it.

40. Madame Samm says:

Dearest Jenny, I am pressed to tell you how impressed I am lol..
    Now this is one I would love to tackle…it may even rise my passion for ironing and psst, I love to iron, But I would iron more…thanks for the inspiration madame samm

41. Emily says:

Very nice. I've been needing one of these!

42. Kate says:

That is gorgeous! That fabric is already on my want-list, and I could do with a new ironing board cover…

43. Kathy says:

This is quite awesome! I want to make one!

44. Donna S. says:

Man, am I going to show I am a newbie!! If you sew the long ends together to make a tube (step 2 I think) it is only open on the 2 short ends. Then how do you open the squares after you cut them. Wouldn't the point be closed also?

45. Jen O says:

I'm making this for my super-quilter mom for Mothers Day. She has an old, huge ironing board that was my grandma's and she can never find a cover big enough. This will be perfect! Thanks!

46. marciae527 says:

Love it!!!! it might even make ironing seem “not so bad” ;)

47. Metanoia says:

Can you still iron all the creases out and get seams flat if you are pressing on all those seams in the cover… ?

48. Frauke says:

what a nice idea,
    Frauke of north germany

49. eamylove says:

Too pretty for just my ironing board. I love the way you made those blocks – will try it for a quilt instead!

50. Jessica says:

How CUTE! This is a GREAT mother's day gift for friends and family too!! LOVE it :-)

51. Karen says:

absolutely fabulous project and i have been wanting to make a new cover for my board … this is perfect. thanks so much!!!!

52. Excellent timing for this pattern! I fused some Heat 'n Bond to my small ironing board last night, and today made and finished this cover! I used leftover strips from another quilt. Thanks so much for this one!

53. Chris says:

What's an ironing board?

54. sewwhatsnext says:

I love the timing on this project. I just told the hubby tonight that I needed to buy or make an ironing board cover. Guess it will be make and not buy. Thanks!

55. Lake Family says:

I would want to hang my ironing board on the wall when I was done. So cute. It would be a good wedding shower gift