Hi! My name is Konda Luckau from Moose on the Porch Quilts. I love making quilts that are quick and easy, and I love how precuts speed up the quilting process. Kate Spain’s new line Verna is perfect for chasing away winter. I almost changed the name of the quilt to “Tut Tut Looks Like Spring,” but I got a blank stare in response, I left the original name. In case you also have a blank stare, it is a play on Winnie the Pooh and what I was thinking as I was photographing this wonderfully spring looking quilt in the snow.
This pattern would look great with absolutely any layer cake. What about A Breath of Avignon or Oz with white sashing, Butterfly Garden or Looking Back with tan sashing, Blush with light pink sashing, or Attitude Girls with black sashing? I think I might need to make another one.
1) Take your layer cake and separate it into three groups: 30 squares to use as the blocks, 5 squares to use as the sashing posts, and 7 squares that aren’t used. (The 7 squares not to use was the hardest pile for me to make.)
2) Take the 5 blocks for the sashing and first cut 2″ off one side. Cut the remaining 8″ x 10″ rectangle in half horizontally and vertically as shown below.
- Seven 4″ strips for sashing
- Five 5″ strips for sashing
- Eight 3 1/4″ strips set aside for the 1st border
- Eight 5″ strips set aside for the 3rd border
10) For the 3rd border, take the eight 5″ strips. Sew them into 4 double strips. First sew on the left and right borders, then sew on the top and bottom borders.
11) Quilt as desired and bind as shown below. You will need nine 2 1/2″ strips for the binding.