Hello Moda Bake Shop Followers,
I am Sandy Gervais, a fabric designer for none other than Moda Fabrics. (Yes, it is a dream job!) Lissa at Moda asked me to design a project that could be sold as a kit using my new spring line, Frolic. I thought it would be fun to have a “sewing companion” to set by your machine, or on a shelf nearby.
With that thought Owliva was born. The size of her eyes certainly enables her to “watch” over you. She could also be used as a pincushion – if you can bear to poke her with pins. The kit includes pattern, 6 fabrics, ric rac, cotton batting and two buttons for $12.50 (plus shipping). All you will need to add is your favorite stuffing – batting, play sand, walnut shells, etc.
Go here to order the kit.
6 Frolic Layer Cake squares
10″ of jumbo ric rac
10″ X 10 1/2″ piece of batting
2 pieces of cotton batting 2″ X 2″
Two 5/8″ buttons.
Crushed walnut shells
One sweet sewing companion.
Go here to download and print the template. Note this prints on 11″ X 14″ paper.
1. From your Frolic Layer Cake™ select:
Green leaf print square – cut this to a size of 6 1/2″ X 10″
Solid orange square – cut this to a size of 2 1/4″ X 10″
Brown daisy print square – cut this to a size of 3 1/4″ X 10″
2. With right sides together, stitch these three pieces together along the 10″ sides. Press. (front of owl)
3. Cut a piece of ric rac 10″ long.
4. Center ric rac over middle orange piece.
5. Machine stitch down center of ric rac.
6. Cut a piece of cotton batting 10″ X 10 1/2″.
7. Lay the batting down and place the pieced owl front on top of batting with right side up.
8. Top with the large brown floral Layer Cake™ square, right sides together, matching lower edges.
13. Now move your owl template until the dotted line on the owl template is lined up with the ruler.
14. Pin template in place.
15. Using a small machine stitch, stitch ON the template line, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning and stuffing.
16. Tear away the paper.
28. Center eye over batting circle.
29. Using a running stitch, stitch eye to batting by stitching through all thicknesses around the center of the eye.
31. Sew button in place in center of eye. DO NOT cut thread.
33. Go back and forth a couple of times and knot thread in back of owl.
34. Repeat for other eye.