Back To School Grommet Bag
(28) 5” charm squares (we used Fresh Cottons: Hushabye was used for instruction photos)
⅝ yd lining fabric
⅓ yd straps fabric
(1) 20” x 33” piece of batting
1 yd woven interfacing
(8) 1” grommets (we used Dritz curtain grommets, no tools needed)
Sewing the outer bag:
1. Sew 7 rows of 4 charm squares. Press rows in opposite directions. Sew rows together as desired to create outer bag unit.
3. Quilt as desired. Trim to 18” x 31 1/2”.
4. From lining fabric, cut (1) 18” x 31 1/2" rectangle.
5. With right sides together match one of the 31 1/2” sides of the lining and quilted rectangles. Sew using a ½” seam allowance. Press seam toward lining.
6. Fold lengthwise in half as shown. Pin all 3 sides. Using a ½” seam allowance, sew all 3 sides leaving about 4” of the lining section unsewn for turning.
7. Trim corners being careful not to cut through stitching. Turn right side out through 4” opening in lining and poke out corners.
8. Stitch the lining opening closed. Push the lining into the quilted section of bag.
9. Press the top edge of bag and topstitch ⅛”and ¼” from the top edge of bag.
Attaching the grommets:
1. On left side of bag, mark 2” down from top edge of bag and 1 ¼” from side of bag. Then mark 3 ½” from 1 ¼” mark. Repeat marks for right side of bag.
2. Repeat step 1 for other side of bag. You will now have 8 grommet placement marks.
3. Position the template provided with the grommets over the center marks and trace in the slots. Cut out the holes for each grommet on the traced lines.
4. Place the raised center of a grommet in each hole from the right side.
5. Position the pronged side of each grommet over each raised grommet and press down to secure.
Making the Straps:
From the straps fabric and woven interfacing cut:
(2) 5” x 36” strips
1. Fuse the woven interfacing to each strap strip.
2. Fold strap long side in half RST. Stitch using a ¼” seam allowance starting at short end, leaving about 4” opening for turning (along long side) and ending at shut end. Clip short end corners and turn right side out.
3. Top stitch all the way around strap being sure to close opening.
4. Thread one strap through the 4 grommet holes on one side of the bag. Repeat for the other side.
5. Tie ends of the two straps together.
Enjoy your grommet bag!!!
* 2 Charm Packs will make 3 bags!
* You can always add pockets to the insde with left over charm squares!!
* These make great gifts!