Have you heard about the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge? This challenge intrigued me. Pillowcases are so easy to make that I wondered if they could really make a difference. Then I made my kids some new pillowcases. I noticed that they loved them! Sometimes they would take them and fill them with toys and drag them around the house. Here's my contribution to the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge! Make a pillowcase for yourself or to donate!
Come visit my blog! We're just finishing up a Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt-Along and plans for another quilt- along are in the works.
1 Fresh Cottons Honey Bun
3/4 yard each of 4 different Fresh Cotton prints
That's enough to make 4 pillowcases!
1) This step is optional. You only need to do this if you are making 4 pillowcases with your Honey Bun. Take yardage and cut one 1 1/2" strip off one end. Cut a clean edge from the other end of the yardage. Your yardage should be between 25" and 27." The exact size doesn't matter. Just make sure you have a piece that is nice and square (not square as in all sides even - square as in 90 degree corners).
9) Here's where we account for how big your strips end up being. Measure the length of your pillowcase band folded. It should be around 20." Add 1/2" for the seam allowance. This is how wide to cut the folded body of your pillowcase. In the picture below, the fold of your yardage and accent strip are on the left out of the picture. Measure from the fold and cut 20 1/2" or what your band measured.
10) Turn your yardage (shown in green) right sides together and sew along two sides. Then sew the same seam again, this time with a zig zag stitch. (A serger would be great instead if you have one.) Turn your accent strip (shown in red) right sides together and sew along the narrow edge and zig zag as well.
11) Press the accent strip in half lengthwise with WRONG sides together.
12) Sew the accent strip onto the pillowcase band with a 1/8" stitch. You are basting the accent onto the band and don't want the stitching line showing in the finished product.
13) With a 1/4" seam, sew the band onto the body of the pillowcase with the RIGHT side of the pillowcase body next to the ACCENT strip as shown below:
14) Zig zag this seam as well. (A serger would be great here too.)