Hello from Fresh Cut Quilts! It is my pleasure to bring you this simple, yet elegant pattern. This pattern makes a 69" square lap sized quilt. I chose to back this quilt in Moda's Snuggle Solids, because it makes every quilt so cuddly and warm on a chilly day. With fall just around the corner and the winter holidays right after, it will be the perfect quilt to make for your home or for your loved ones this year.
I have partnered with Craft Town Fabrics to make kits available for purchase. Please visit their website to purchase a kit for this darling project!
I hope you enjoy!
Fresh Cut Quilts Pattern Co.
1 Origins Jelly Roll (or Jelly Roll of your choice)You will use (30) 2 1/2" strips
1 1/4 Yards Bella White Solid or White Graph Paper from Origins
1 1/3 Yards Refresh Dot 30236-11 for outer border
1 yard Onyx Grunge 30150-99 for the circle accents and inner border
1/2 yard Graph Paper Kelp 30239-17 for the binding
4 1/2 yards Snuggle Solid in Cream, Brown or Black for the backing
Heat n' Bond Lite or Wonder Under fusible web, thread to match circle accents, one 16" pillow form optional for the extra block, an Olfa circle cutter, or EZ Circle Cutter can be most helpful for cutting perfect circles.
Cut (6) Inner Border Strips 2 1/2" x WOF (Width of Fabric)
Cut (7) 6" x WOF Outer Border Strips
Cut (25) 1 1/2" x WOF White Bella Solid Then cut in half at the fold to yield (50) 1 1/2" x 20" pieces
Sort the Jelly Roll strips into 5 groups of (6) 2 1/2" strips each. This may help keep the colors sorted for the blocks.
1. Cut all 30 of the Jelly Roll Strips in half at the fold to yield (60) 2 1/2" x 20" strips
2. Sew 1 white strip to one side of each of the 2 1/2" x 20" Jelly Roll roll strips, then press toward the darker fabric. Be careful to keep this long strip straight to avoid curvy strips.
3. Sew one Jelly Roll strip to the white strip, and press. Continue by adding a Jelly Roll strip to each white strip and alternating until there are six "dark" 2 1/2" strips and five white 1 1/2" strips sewn together. The block should begin and end with a dark 2 1/2" strip.
4. Press the blocks and trim to 17 1/2" square.
5. Sew the blocks together alternating horizontal and vertical stripes. You will have one extra block leftover which would make a perfect 16" throw pillow!
6. Measure the quilt top and using that measurement, trim and then sew the inner border strips to the top and bottom of the quilt top. Measure the quilt top vertically and use that measurement to trim and then sew the side inner borders to the quilt top.
7. Prepare the circles for appliqueing to the border strips. For instance, if you are using fusible web as I chose to do, iron the fusible to the wrong side of the circles and then trace the circle and cut them out. If you are hand or invisible machine appliqueing the circles prepare them as you normally would, then proceed to step 8.
8. Layout the circles on the outer borders in a way you think is desirable. Fuse or pin the circles to the borders.
9. Pin and sew the borders to the quilt top. Then sew the circles to the borders.
Quilt and bind as desired!
I had mine quilted in canary yellow thread by Wendy Nabhan of Eagle Mountain Quilting
1 lovely Lap Quilt Measuring 69" x 69"
Fresh Cut Quilts Pattern Co.