2 Bliss Jelly Rolls
1 Bella Solid Jelly Roll, red
1 inexpensive, plain shower curtain (72″ length x 70″ width)
2 yd jumbo ricrac
1. Let’s take a look at your shower curtain. It should measure approximately 72″ long and 70″ wide. Lay your curtain out flat, right side up.
2. Draw a horizontal line right below the grommets with a pencil or marking pen. Continue to draw horizontal lines every 2″ along the length of the curtain. A yardstick will come in very handy for this! You should end up with approximately 35 lines, depending on the style of your curtain.
3. The number of horizontal lines you drew in Step 2 (mine was 35) is the total number of ruffle strips needed. Each ruffle requires 3 jelly roll strips. I sorted my Bliss jelly rolls by color and made a pile of my Bella Solid red jelly roll strips.
4. Grab 3 strips from the same color pile, trim selvages, and sew the short ends right side together to create a long strip. Press seams.
5. Using your favorite gathering method, gather each strip from Step 4 to measure the width of your shower curtain (70″).
6. Repeat Steps 4-5 until you have the necessary number of ruffle strips, as determined in Step 2.
I made 10 long ruffle strips (3 jelly rolls each) with the red Bella Solid and 25 long ruffle strips with Bliss.
7. Now comes the fun part! Layout the ruffle strips to determine which order to sew them in.
8. Starting from the bottom of the curtain, line up the top edge of the ruffle strip with the horizontal line. Sew the ruffle strip in place, using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
9. Repeat the same process for each horizontal line, moving upward.
10. The top horizontal ruffle will have an unsightly raw edge, so let’s fix that! Sew your coordinating jumbo ricrac right over the raw edge.
11. Hang your sassy, ruffled shower curtain and voila!
1 Ruffled Shower Curtain.