Hi, its Karen from Lisnaweary Quilts
, I’m back with a recipe for a cute cot quilt!I’ve used two charm packs of Just Wing it! and some Bella Solid fabric to whip up this colourful “Criss Cross Quilt.”
2 Just Wing it! Charm Packs
1yd White Bella Solid
1/2yd fabric for border 32446-14
1yd fabric for binding and backing 32442-21
2 yds fabric for backing 32440-27
1. From a charm pack, pick out 20 squares.
2.Pick out another 40 squares and cut in half to make 80 2 1/2″ x 5″ pieces.
3.Place 4 2 1/2″ x 5″ pieces around each of the 20 squares. (I could say to do this randomly, but I did spend some time arranging the fabrics and colours!)
4. Sew a 2 1/2″ x 5″ piece to two opposite sides of a square.
It should look like this:
Leave remaining 40 2 1/2″ x 5″ pieces to one side.
5. Take 18 squares from charm pack and trim 1/2″ off two sides to give a square 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″.
6. Cut into 1 1/2″x 4 1/2″ strips.
Then cut 6 1 1/2″ x WOF strips from background fabric.
7. Sew the 1 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ strips to the strips of background fabric.
8. Cut the strips into 1 1/2″ pieces and press open, press seam towards darker fabric.
9. Sew two pieces together to give a square with four small squares and a checked effect. Make 80.
10. Sew a square to each side of remaining 40 2 1/2″x 5″ pieces from step 4.
11.Sew these to original pieced rectangles. Make sure to match seams.
12. The squares should measure 9″ x 9″.
13. From background fabric cut 49 1 1/2″ x 9″ strips.
14. Sew 9″ squares together in rows of four, using background fabric as sashing.
15. From remaining squares in charm pack, cut 30 1 1/2″ squares.
16. Sew 1 1/2″ square to end of 1 1/2″ x 9″ strip, add another square. Continue until there are four background strips and six coloured squares in the row.Make six strips.
17. Join strips of pieced squares together using this sashing. Make sure to match seams.
Should look like this:
18. Cut 5 2 1/2″xWOF for border. Sew on border. Press.
Layer backing, wadding and quilt top.
Quilt as desired then sew on binding.
Don’t forget the quilt label!
A super bright and cosy cot quilt!
Finished size approx. 43″ x 52″
Sorry Roxy, its not for you!
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!
If you make this quilt, please upload a photo of it to my flickr group
, I’d love to see your quilt.
Check out my blog
for more photos and chat about sewing!