Binding: 5/8 yard of your choice
Backing: 5/15 yard of your choice (if you will be using your scraps, this will be smaller)
I did not use any particular pattern for the color combination, so feel free to be as creative as you like. I did use 1 charm square for the middle of the Robot.
1. Take 4 pieces of your basic white layer cake and sew together to make 1 large square. Make sure you press your seams (there won’t be another chance to do this later).
2. I found the easiest way to keep the different blocks organized is to lay all the pieces for the robot on each square and pin them all down (so you don’t lose any). Then when you finish one Robot you have everything ready to start the next. (You could also do an assembly type of system if you desire; do whatever you feel comfortable with).
3. I ended up sewing and pinning each block in layers. I first took the middle section of the robot and the head – pinned them down and then sewed each piece on – then used them as a single piece for assembling the Robot.
4. I sewed on the eyes with a “+” sign since the pupil of the eye is so small. This is an easy and fun way to attach the eyes.
6. Before you start sewing on the Robot pieces, layout each piece to set up the correct alignment. Make sure that you leave at least ½” around the border of the background block. Once you have everything laid out, pin down the bottom layer of Robot.
7. Then take off the top layer of the Robot and sew the bottom layer on. After you’re done, trim off your thread pieces.
8. Now pin down the top layer of the Robot (you should use all of the remaining pieces of the Robot now) and then sew and trim again.
1. Sew together your 5”x10” pieces together now (keep them random). Only sew together 2 pieces at a time and on the 5” side. You will then end up with 18 – 5”x9.5”
1. Robot piece (5”x9.5”) + White Rocket square (5”x5”) + Robot piece (5”x9.5”) + White Rocket square (5”x5”) + Robot piece (5”x9.5”)
2. 3. Robot block + Robot piece (5”x9.5”) sideways + Robot block + Robot piece (5”x9.5”) sideways + Robot block
5. Baste, quilt and bind as desired. A fun way to use your remaining scraps is to create a fun pieced back like the following.