Hi there! This is AnneMarie Chany of Gen X Quilters and I am very excited to share an EASY tutorial with you today for these super soft washcloths. This is a fantastic quick and easy project for a baby or housewarming gift. Customized washcloths are a great and unique addition to any bathroom. Have any leftover layer cake squares from another project? This may be a perfect solution!
1 Layer Cake (10" squares). I used Ten Little Things by Jenn Ski
1 yard of 60" wide minky, terry cloth or flannel for the backing (Makes 12 washcloths)
1. Cut the backing fabric into (12) 10" squares.
2. Select your favorite 12 layer cake 10" squares. On each individual square, use a glass to trace a line onto the fabric to make a curve at each of the 4 corners.
3. Place one layer cake square on top of a backing square with right sides together. Pin in place. Repeat for all 12 squares.
4. Using the drawn curved lines, cut both the backing and layer cake square layers to round the corners.
5. Sew 1/4" from the edge all the way around the square, leaving a 3" opening for turning right side out. Backstitch when starting and stopping stitches.
6. Turn the layers right sides out and press.
7. Topstitich 1/8" from the edge all the way around the rounded square, making sure to catch the opening you left for turning.
8. (optional) Add any embellishments, like an embroidered name or monogram at this point if you'd like.
9. Quilt as desired to secure the top and bottom layers together since these washcloths will repeatedly be wet and washed. This will help them hold up longer. I used a random all over stipple on all of my washcloths, but you could really simplify it by making a large X to get the job done.
12 super soft washcloths great for gifting!
(approximately 10" in size with rounded corners)