Hi, I’m Stacey and I blog over at The Tilted Quilt ~ I’m thrilled today to share with you my first project for the Moda Bake Shop, a quick pillow that’s sure to add a little sass to any room. I think Shades of Black will be the “Little Black Dress” of fabrics this year – there are so many great black, white and gray prints in this collection, you will find a million uses for them. I wanted this pillow to have a pop as well, so I chose a high contrasting pink solid to enhance the lattice effect of the pattern. I hope you enjoy!
1 charm pack in Shades of Black by Me and My Sister Designs
1. Sort the charm pack by color – you will need 8 charms from white prints and 12 charms from black prints. Cut 12 – 5″ squares from the solid pink fabric.
3. Make 2 Half-Square Triangles (HST) by sewing on 1/4″ on either side of the diagonal. Each pair of charms will result in 2 –
4 1/2″ HST. Sew 4 pairs of white/pink charms to create 8 HST. Trim to 4″.
6. To create Unit B, follow the same process as above – beginning with 4 black charms and 4 white charms to create 8 black/white HST’s. Trim to 4″ and match with a trimmed pink charm to create 8 Unit B blocks.
10. Create a quilt sandwich with the pillow top, batting and a layer of muslin or neutral solid.
11. Quilt as desired – I opted for an angular design throughout to complement the blocks.
12. For the backing fabric, cut 2 rectangles 18″x 14″. On each of the rectangles, fold one long edge back 1/4″ and then another 1/4″ and topstitch along the folded edge.
Lay the pillow top facing up, then lay one piece of backing facing down with the folded side to the left, and then the second backing fabric facing down, with the folded side to the right.
13. Stitch 1/4″ around the entire pillow and flip right side out. Insert pillow form. Enjoy!