Bitty Bunting Quilt
Everyone loves a bunting quilt! I was inspired to make this quilt from the trimmings of another quilt. I was using a pattern that calls for dog ear corners from 2½" squares. The resulting triangles looked like pretty bunting flags to me (considering that the fabric was Bonnie and Camille's Marmalade, any excuse to not throw out even tiny scraps, right?) I kept them in a bin on my cutting table for a few days and the idea of using Moda Candy for tiny bunting flags popped into my head.
Moda Candy are perfect for this quilt since folding them in half allows you to create two-sided flags that look very cute waving about. There are lots of ways to attach the flags - use bias tape like I have or sew them all down first and add ric rac trim. I've also made bunting quilts with Perle cotton stitches standing in for the bias tape. Use what you have on hand. There is really no wrong way.
If you want to use a solid background instead of piecing the ombré background, simply start with a 1½ yard cut. I've also included a girly color option below.
43 Moda Candy pieces* (equivalent to 1 packages plus 1 more. I used a mix of Lucy's Crab Shack, PB&J, and Oh Deer!)
4 yd of ¼" double-fold bias tape in coordinating color
¼ yd dark blue (Royal | Bella Solid 9900-19)
¼ yd cobalt blue (Bright Sky | Bella Solid 9900-115)
¼ yd bright blue (Capri | Bella Solid 9900-225)
¼ yd gray blue (Glacier | Bella Solid 9900-207)
¼ yd light blue (Blue Raspberry | Bella Solid 9900-84)
¼ yd white (White Bleached | Bella Solid 9900-98)
Binding: 3/8 yd preferred print (I used Silver | 9900-183)
Backing: 3¼ yd (I used bits of leftover blues and Lush Uptown | 26047-22)
*NOTE: You may use more or fewer pieces of Moda Candy, depending on how you swag your bunting across the quilt.
Alternative Fabric Choices:
For a girl version of this quilt, try using Shocking Pink | 9900-223, Popsicle | 9900-143, 30s Pink | 9900-27, Amelia Pink | 9900-166, and Parfait Pink | 9900-248 instead of the blues listed above.
1. Piece ¼ yd strips from light to dark to create ombré background. Trim the selvedges before you sew or leave them on and trim all of them at once like I did. Press each seam from light to dark.
2. Layer up with your backing fabric and batting and quilt.
3. Square up quilted background and set aside.
4. Time to sew the bitty bunting! Set your stack of Moda Candy next to your sewing machine. Fold the first Candy square diagonally from corner to corner to create a triangle. Press or pin to make it easier to sew.
Top stitch around the sides of the triangle. You can chain piece but be careful not to stitch your Candy pieces together.
5. Place one bunting triangle between your bias tape with the fold facing away from the triangle point. Top stitch along the opposite edge of the bias tape to close the seam.
6. Pin bitty bunting to quilted background so that it drapes from edge to edge.
7. You can attach your bunting by top stitching long fold of the bias tape OR use an invisible stitch to tack it down (that's what I did).
8. Trim any loose threads and bind as desired.
A simple, sweet, and modern baby gift! Measures approximately 43" x 51".