Warning: session_start(): open(/data/24/3/101/111/3427437/user/3820998/cgi-bin/.php/sessions/sess_5b5345bc4d1654cb5a1fb0796d955017, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in /data/24/3/101/111/3427437/user/3820998/htdocs/WordPress/wp-content/plugins/ninja-forms/ninja-forms.php on line 638 Christmas Spools Quilt « Moda Bake Shop
It’s not even Halloween yet but that didn’t stop me from getting a jumpstart on Christmas sewing! This quilt is an easy project that will get you ready for the holidays in a hurry.
1 charm pack of In From The Cold by Kate Spain (spool centers) 1.5 yards Bella Solids in Paper Bag (spool tops and bottoms) 1.5 yards Bella Solids in Bleached White (surrounding spools) 1.5 yards Bella Solids in Bleached White (sashing and borders) 1/8 yard In From The Cold – Mint (center squares) 4 yards (backing) 1/2 yard In From The Cold – Marshmallow (binding)
for the top and bottom of spools
cut 21 - 2 ½” x wof strips
subcut each strip into 4 – 2½” x 9″ strips
you need 84
for the sides of spools
cut 11 – 2½” x wof strips
subcut each strip into 8 – 2 ½” x 5″ strips
you will need 84
for the corners of spools
cut 11 – 2½” x wof strips
subcut each strip into 16 – 2 ½” squares
you will need 168
for the corner stones
cut 2 – 2″ x wof
subcut both strips into 40 – 2″ squares
you will need 30
cut 18 – 2″ x wof strips
subcut each strip into 4 – 2″ x 9″ strips
you will need 71
cut 7 – 2 ½” x wof
for backing cut 2 – 72″ x wof pieces
cut 7 - 2″ x wof strips
measure the perimeter of the quilt top
firstsubcut 2 strips to that length (should be 59″)
sew top and bottom borders on
nextmeasure the sides and subcut 2 strips to that
length (should be 72″)
for each spool block you will need : 1 charm square 2 - 2½” x 9″ strips 2 – 2½ x 5″ strips
4 – 2½” squares 1.Draw a diagonal line on each of the 168 – 2½” squares
2. With right sides together, pin 2½ ” squares to corners of the spool top and bottom strips, as pictured.
3. Sew directly on the line, trim ¼” from seam, press out. Repeat until all 84 strips are completed.
4. Sew 2½” x 5″ strips on opposite side of each charm square, press toward charm square.
5. Pin spool top and bottom to center.
6. Carefully sew top and bottom to the center, press toward center.
block should measure 9″ x 9″
Repeat as instructed for each block. **To use less thread and time, I chain stitched all the center portions of the block, then the spool portions.
lay blocks out as you like
7. Sew 35 – 2″ sashing to the right side of each block minus the far right row. Press seams towards sashing.
8. For horizontal sashing, sew 30 – 2″ corner stones to 2″ sashing strips.
9. Sew strips into rows consisting of 5 corner stone/sashing strips.
You will then sew the remaining 6 – 2″ sashing strips to the end of each row.
10. Press corner stones out. Pin each sashing strip to the bottom of the first 6 spool rows, sew together.
11. Pin rows together, sew. Press seams towards sashing.
12. Sew sashing to the top and bottom, press out. Sew sashing to sides, press out.
13. Quilt, bind, and enjoy! Beautifully long arm quilted by Kathy Olkowski.
The Moda Bake Shop has a fabulous binding tutorial here.
Warning: Unknown: open(/data/24/3/101/111/3427437/user/3820998/cgi-bin/.php/sessions/sess_5b5345bc4d1654cb5a1fb0796d955017, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0
Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/data/24/3/101/111/3427437/user/3820998/cgi-bin/.php/sessions) in Unknown on line 0