I have recently been changing my mind. I still like to see projects finished, but I have tried hand piecing and hand quilting. I started small. I found that hand applique is too slow of a process for me. Hand piecing surprised me. I enjoyed being able to work on it while waiting for kids in various places.
If you haven't tried hand work, this might be a project to change your mind.
1 Hope Chest Prints Honeycomb
3/4 yard backing
3/4 yard square batting
1/2 yard binding
1. Take 28 of the hexagons, 14 light and 14 dark. Each hexi star takes 2 light hexagons and 2 dark hexagons.
2. Cut each hexagon into three diamonds as shown. Using a ruler from corner to corner, cut half way.
3. Turn the hexagon and cut half way again. Repeat to make three diamonds as shown.
5. Lightly mark the 1/4" seam allowance on one of each dark diamond in a narrow V as shown. Lightly mark the 1/4" seam allowance on all 6 of the light diamonds in a wide V as shown.
7. Align two adjacent diamonds. Sew with a running stitch along marked line.
8. Tie off the thread at the corner and align the next diamond. Continue sewing down the next side. Tie off and cut thread. Finger press.
9. Repeat with the other three dark diamonds to make two half stars as shown.
10. Mark the 1/4" seam allowance along one side as shown.
11. Pin the two halves together and sew along the marked line.
12. Press seams in a circle and press seams open in the middle rotating in the opposite direction.
13. Take one of the light diamonds. Align and pin it onto one dark diamond as shown. Sew along the marked seam allowance. Knot thread, but do not cut.
14. Align the light diamond to the next dark diamond. Pin and sew the next marked seam allowance. Knot thread again, but do not cut unless you need to.
15. Repeat with the next light diamond.
16. Continue sewing the light diamonds around the dark star. That makes one Hexi Star.
17. Repeat to make six Hexi Stars with a dark center and light edges. Make one Hexi Star with a light center and dark edges.
18. When pressing, always rotate seams.
19. Lay out seven Hexi Stars as shown. Hand piece in the same manner.
20. Layer backing, batting, and top. Baste with pins or spray.
21. Hand or machine quilt.
22. Cut the 1/2 yard of binding fabric into 2 1/2" bias binding. Bind.
One approximately 24" table topper that you will be very proud to show off!
I hope you will give hand piecing a try. If you do, I would love to see it! My email is kluckau(at)moosequilts.com. I hope you have as much fun as I did!