Flashback Friday: Windy Days Quilt

MBS-windy-days-ff-cover

Today we are introducing a new feature here at the Moda Bake Shop…Flashback Friday! It’s a great way to rediscover an older recipe that you put on that to-sew list and never got around to. Oda May has chosen Sarah Meyer’s Windy Days Quilt from 2011 for this month’s Flashback Friday feature and reimagined it using Basic Grey’s latest line – Persimmon.

Hello, Bake Shop Bakers! I’m so happy to be sharing this lovely quilt today. Fall is just starting to hit my neck of the woods in Texas (that means we are getting weather in the upper 80s!) so I’m ready to bring on the pumpkins and everything fall-related. Windy Days is a sweet and simple pinwheel quilt originally designed for a baby, but I’ve upped the fabric requirements to make this big enough to snuggle under during those cool fall nights (for those of you a bit farther north). To make a larger version of the quilt, use my Ingredients list below and click over to Sarah Meyer’s original recipe {here} for the assembly instructions.

8cb62-title_ingredients

1 Layer Cake® cut into quarters OR 4 charm packs of Persimmon by Basic Grey
3 1/4 yards Bella Solid (shown in Latte, SKU 9900 245), cut into (168) 5″ squares
4½ yards backing fabric
5/8 yard binding fabric

96b91-title_instructions

Simply repeat the instructions for the original quilt x4 to create a larger quilt top. See {original recipe} for detailed assembly instructions.

4b2da-title_yield

One 72″ square quilt – possibly the perfect size for a lap quilt!

signature_odamay.gif

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

8 comments on “Flashback Friday: Windy Days Quilt

1. Sigi G says:

Oh this is exciting! I’ve just ‘found’ you recently and can’t get enough of all your patterns and fabric. Thank you for thinking up this wonderful idea. I’m really looking forward to making this quilt this weekend.

2. Joy Griffith says:

It’s good that you’re ‘going back in time’ – because I know that I missed a lot and this is a great way to catch up.

3. kymberlypease kymberlypease says:

This is awesome! I’ve used this method to make several pinwheels, but had forgotten where I first learned it from. Thanks for the throw-back.

4. annie says:

Are you absolutely sure it is only 1.25 yards of the plain? I have been trying to work out how to cut 168 five inch squares from that amount of fabric. I love the pattern but I can’t work it out! It is probably me……

• Melisa Williamson says:

I figured this out the hard way…and had to make a second trip to the fabric store. You need at least 3 1/4 yards of the background fabric for this quilt. If you look at the original directions you need 45 solid squares for one quarter of the quilt ( remember you make the original quilt 4 times ). So if you do the math, with 8 squares per 5″ WOF strip you need to cut at least 23 WOF strips then subcut the strips into 5″ squares. That will give you 184 solid squares which is 4 more than you will need.

5. katybee says:

This was sweet in the white but the latte really makes it more sophisticated. Love seeing how the same pattern in different fabric choices changes the look so much.

And I’m having the same trouble as annie seeing how 1.25 yards of the latte will yield 168 5 inch squares.

6. JoAnna Kelly says:

I am desperately trying to find a Cuzco jellyroll by Kate Spain so I can make the Cizco Lost City quilt. Any thoughts where I might find one? Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Love your site.

7. Lisa Calle says:

Yardage updated for background fabric from 1 1/4 to 3 1/4 yards.