For the Love of Half Square Triangles

HST Collage Boosted MBS Logo Wide

Greetings Moda Bake Shop readers — It’s Karen Miller from Redbird Quilt Co here to share a little Half Square Triangle LOVE…

In my recent “Chevron with a Twist” recipe we used Half Square Triangles made from Layer Cake slices to create pretty little chevrons and we added a touch of applique “twist”.    If you missed it, you can review that recipe by clicking here.

In the process of designing “Chevron with a Twist”, I realized there were hundreds of ways to design a quilt using half square triangles (HST).

Today I want to share just a few of these fun layouts with you.

Each of the layout options shown use the same number of half square triangles AND each HST is in the same location from layout to layout, it’s just oriented differently to make a new design.  Sew much fun!

The Crazy Scrappy Layout:

MBS Chevron Twist Rotated

The Light Colored Chevrons Layout:

Wouldn’t it be fun to quilt feathers in these chevrons!

MBS Light Chevron Twist Option

The Focus Layout:

I love this one!

MBS Focus Option

The Reverse Block Layout:

MBS Chevron Twist Flipped

The Diagonal Layout:

MBS HST Diag Option

The Vertical Chevron Layout:

MBS Vertical Chevron Option

The Pin Wheel Layout:

MBS Pinwheel Option

I could go on and on….

Aren’t they all beautiful?

These different layouts are made easily when working with a quilt design software like EQ7.   You’ve got to love technology!

8cb62-title_ingredients

You’ll need:

Any Moda Pre-Cut that is square:  A Layer Cake, Charm Pack or Mini Charm.  Alternatively, you could square up pieces of Fat Quarter or Fat Eighth Bundles (you would need a few).

Some yardage of background fabric for the light-colored half of the triangle.

96b91-title_instructions

Remember… each layout option above uses the same number of half square triangles AND each specific HST is in the same location from layout to layout, it’s just oriented differently to make a new design.

Isn’t that awesome??  I’m in LOVE!!

If you want to make one of the layouts presented,  jump over to the recently published  Chevron with a Twist Moda Bake Shop Recipe where I’ve detailed instructions for preparing, trimming and sewing the Half Square Triangles and creating the applique twist!

Which layout is your favorite?

HST Collage Boosted MBS Logo Wide

4b2da-title_yield

A Layer Cake and yardage will yield one 60″ lap quilt

A Charm Pack and yardage will yield one small wall hanging

A Mini Charm Pack and yardage will yield one teeny, tiny mini

Will you make one ?  I would love to see it!

To take a peek at one or two more layouts, be sure to stop by Karen’s Quilts, Crows and Cardinals blog — where we’re always having fun!!

Happy Quilting!

Karen

27 comments on “For the Love of Half Square Triangles

1. Sue says:

Beautiful, each and every one!! I love HST and will be doing more then one for sure!

2. Sharon Hollingsworth says:

I love each one of them!!!!

3. Marly says:

My favourite is the focus layout, closely followed by the diagonal.

4. kaholly says:

They are all exciting. I don’t think I can pick just one. I do like the Crazy Scrappy Layout. Thanks so much for sharing.

5. blg2240 says:

Can’t pick just one, they are all terrific. Will be using these for sure.

6. Diane R. says:

I like them all, but I think my favorite is the pinwheel quilt. This is my first visit to your blog and am looking forward to checking out your beautiful quilting designs.

• Thank you Diane – I really enjoy that pinwheel layout too! I hope you found the quilting designs OK. Do let me know if you have any questions on them.

7. Brenda Peplinskie says:

First of all, I just discovered your blog a few days ago and I love it!!!! I like all of the variations, but I really love the look of the diagonal straight lines – who knew this was even a possibility – not me!!! I’m going to have to give it a try.

• Brenda – welcome to the blog!! I would love to see any of them you make. Be sure to post them to the Moda Bake SHop Flickr group… Thanks for the sweet comment.

8. Dorothy Cantu says:

Where can I order the fabric to make the pinwheel pattern

• Hi Dorothy – It would probably be best to check with your local quilt shop. If you don’t find what you need there, check the online shops. Be sure to reference the original Moda Bake Shop recipe “Chevron with a Twist”. All material requirements are identified there. Also, feel free to send me an email if I can help in any other way. Thank you.

9. Love them all, been playing with a bunch of HST’s from charm packs trying to decide what I want to do. Seeing this online helps. Thanks!
    Did anyone notice that Dresden Plate quilt on the Agents of Shield tonight? So cool!

• Hi Gayle – I hope you find inspiration in these designs. It sure was fun to play with them. I love how just making a few small changes can give you a brand new layout. I didn’t see the Agents of Shields Dresden Plate quilt – but how fun is that ?

10. MrsFredPed says:

I like the pinwheel layout best. Think I’ll try a few of the samples!

• Thank you MrsFredPed — The Pinwheel quilt is another one of my favorites. I would love to see anything you create. The Moda Bake Shop has a Flickr group where you can post your images. Good luck with your creation!

11. Fran Bianchi says:

I love them all, but my favorite is the focus layout. These are so fun!

12. Susan says:

I really liked your chevron with a twist tutorial… how fun to take it a step further! Thank you.

btw my favorite is the light colored chevron layout.

13. Sue Varnagis says:

Hi Karen
    I like the crazy scrappy pattern, I like that it creates different patterns within the design, but each of them are pretty

14. HI Sue, when the crazy scrappy pattern came up I wanted to create it in bright colors for a picnic quilt. I love the way it looks too! Thanks for the sweet comment.

15. […] She says, “The use of special rulers and tools really expands your options.” (If you’re a quilter who goes gaga over gadgets, you know she’s right!) In the video below, Gerri demonstrates how pairing Jelly Roll strips with the ruler shortens her time spent making half-square triangles—and allows her to easily chain piece a whole mess of ’em at a time. Youtube. For the Love of Half Square Triangles « Moda Bake Shop. […]