Tips & Tricks: Fabric Finder

MBS-tips-and-tricks-finding-fabric

One of the most frequent questions in Oda May’s inbox involves tracking down out of print or older fabric collections. Today she shares some of her own tips as well as reader suggestions on how you can find that must have fabric.

• Try quiltshops.com  You can search for a fabric by name, line or number and it searches thousands of participating shops and returns the shops that match your search. Find fabric SKUs and other details by searching Moda’s website. The Downloads page is especially helpful and has fabric lines going back to 2000.
  • Go to local quilt guilds with a sample and just ask the members…quilters have great minds and often remember what’s in their stash.
  • Ask your Facebook quilt groups and friends. If you aren’t in any Facebook quilting groups, join some! It’s an excellent way to network with other quilters.
  • Instagram is also a great resource for finding fabric. Make use of hashtags to search for others who have the collection (for example, #urbanchiksfabric, #urbanchiks, #bohofabric).
  • Go to warehouses that buy up collections and start digging.
  • Email or call the designer of the fabric.  She or he may have extra and would be willing to sell it. Follow your favorite designers on social media to be sure you are in the know if and when they sell fabric from their past collections.

And finally, remember that there are lots of quilt shops out there with no online storefront. Networking with other quilters, especially online, can help you find quilt shops in other towns that may have bolts or precuts of the line you are searching for.

Readers, did we miss any tips for finding out of print fabrics? Let us know in the comments.

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

21 comments on “Tips & Tricks: Fabric Finder

1. Ida May —
    To find fabrics: missingfabrics.com findmyfabric.com eBay and http://webstore.quiltropolis.net is another search engine like quiltshops.com Good luck!

2. blg2240 says:

Thanks for the great ideas on locating the elusive fabric that just has to be in your project. My stash is way beyond what I’ll ever use, although I’m giving my best try, and I have fabrics from many years ago. I keep my Moda fabrics right where I can find them easily along with other top manufacturers that I love. This is a great aid to those of us to whom quilting is a must.

3. French 75 says:

Where would one find these “warehouses” that buy up collections?

• Lisa Calle says:

I would start by Googling fabric outlets in your area. You may also try asking other sewers in your area. There are a couple of fabric warehouses in my city and their inventory varies greatly but it’s always worth a trip every few months. Sometimes they have a great selection and sometimes I go home empty-handed.

4. quiltingmod says:

Thanks, I didn’t know about quiltshops.com, and it had a fabric that I had been searching for online unsuccessfully.

5. Tammy V says:

Etsy.com and Ebay.com are great places to find out of print fabrics.

6. Helen G says:

You can also search for the SKU using Google or another search engine. You might have to look at several pages and consider ordering from Australia or other far off places. I have ordered fabric from Australia and it isn’t that much more expensive to ship fabric.

When I’m on a quilt shop hop I make sure to check out the smaller quilt stores in the smaller towns. They frequently have older fabric that I am interested in.

7. Deb W says:

You also might try amazon.com. Retailers that haven’t sold fabric collections (charms, layer cakes, etc.) sell on there also.

8. Mary Ann says:

This rocks, the first link I tried I found a fabric I’ve been searching for for the last year and a half! Thanks!

9. CruiseFan says:

Actually, a few years ago I sold fabric I did not see any need to have any more (is that even possible?) via auctions in the internet.
    I live in Germany and I got contacted by a lady from New Zealand who was desperately looking for a certain fabric to be able to finish that special project!
    I was more than pleased to be able to help her. I happened to have more than sufficient for her.
    Nowadays…I have a stock of fabric that is enough to last until I am 200 years old!

10. Carole says:

I, too, have had excellent luck with missingfabrics.com. Will look at the other links too.

11. I wish I had had these tips a year ago-but that’s ok-I just kept turning Google pages and around page 8 or 18, I found a nice little shop in Australia who had a nice selection! I was able to get 4 of the prints I sought and while shipping wasn’t exactly cheap to Seattle, the shop owner was so very happy that she could help out a new quilter! She even sent a nice Thank You card and one of her own patterns! It was a fun around the world shopping trip!

12. Amanda Fagan says:

Thank you so much for this article! I have a big habit of buying whole collections — say, a couple charm packs or a FQ bundle — and then it’s a couple years before I get to that particular quilt, and then I often really, really want yardage of a couple of the prints from that exact collection. (My grandmother is probably rolling over in her grave at how picky and spoiled I’m being, but that’s how I am, Mama!). This article gave me a lot more options for my searches! Thank you! Oh, and I have the same question…where would one find these warehouses??

13. Would Moda ever consider doing a limited edition reprint of a popular line?? (E.g., Bonnie & Camille’s Ruby!)

• Lisa Calle says:

Hi Theresa! Our customer service department would love to hear which lines you would like to see in print again (service@unitednotions.com). You can also contact the designers directly to let them know which prints you’d like to see worked into future collections.

14. Angela Porter says:

I want some Bonnie and Camille’s Ruby too!

• Pam Winterhalter says:

Did someone say ” Ruby”, lol?!!! Just wanted to let you know that I searched forEVER for this collection, last summer!!!! After many hours on my computer, and a couple of weeks later, I checked EBay, one more time… and lo and behold, 2 people had Ruby Fat Quarter bundles up for auction!!! I was ecstatic!! I paid a pretty price, put won the bid!! So, so happy!! So keep checking EBay!! Good luck!!!

15. Beatrice says:

missingfabrics.com is great!
    Reminder: the site is not a shop. Tricia, the lady running the site, does it for free. The way it works is it’s quilters helping quilters – sometimes quilt shop owners helping quilters. Do check it out now and again to see if you too can help locate “that” fabric for fellow quilters.

16. Geri says:

Our shop carries primarily Moda fabrics and we buy the entire collection line, and almost every collection offered. We are known for having a good selection of discontinued pieces (going back about 10+ years). Check our website, or if not found there, email us with the collection name and/or stock number or identifying details, as we have lots of the older collection bolts that are not on our website.