Ascend Quilt

Ascend

A note from Oda May: Today’s quilt has two options! A wonderful modern version using a darling Christmas print from Deb Strain and a bonus Summer of {Bella} Solids option in a range of lovely, fresh colors perfect for summer.
Hi there! I’m Corinne and I blog over at www.mustlovequilts.com. I’m excited to share my first ever Moda Bake Shop tutorial with you!

8cb62-title_ingredients

1 Ho Ho Ho Jelly Roll by Deb Strain

1 White Bella Solids Jelly Roll

1/2 Yard Ho Ho Ho Print for Binding

3 3/4 Yards Ho Ho Ho Print for Backing

96b91-title_instructions

CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

Print Jelly Roll

You will need 16 Strips from your print jelly roll. I separated mine by color into Red, Lime, and Green.

1) Take (11) Strips and cut down to 32.5”
(3) Red
(4) Lime
(4) Green

2) Take (2) Strips and cut down to 30.5”
(2) Red

3) Take (2) Strips and cut down to 28.5”
(1) Lime
(1) Green

4) Take (1) Strip and cut down to 26.5”
(1) Green

White Jelly Roll

You will need 30 Strips from your white jelly roll.

1) Take (15) Strips and cut them down to 41”

2) Take (5) Strips and cut them into (15) 12” units

3) Take (10) Strips and cut them per the diagrams below:

Take (2) Strips and from each strip subcut per the diagram below:

Ascend-1

Take (2) Strips and from each strip subcut per the diagram below:

Ascend-2

Take (2) Strips and from each strip subcut per the diagram below:

Ascend-3

Take (2) Strips and from each strip subcut per the diagram below:

Ascend-4

Take (1) Strips and subcut per the diagram below:

Ascend-5

Take (1) Strips and subcut per the diagram below:

Ascend-6

You should now have the following pieces cut out (All dimensions listed are the length, the width is 2.5”/the width of the jelly roll):

Ascend-7

SEWING PREPARATION

Before we start sewing our pieces together, let’s pair them up so we can avoid confusion later on. I like to pin them together with a post-it label so that they don’t get mixed up.

1) First take all of your 41” strips and your 12” strips and set them aside.

2) Below is the diagram of how the quilt is laid out. I’ve separated mine so that they alternate by color.

Ascend-11

You will notice each row is comprised of a combination of white and print strips. Rows A, B, C, M, N, O & P are made up of (1) white strip and (1) print strip. The rest of the rows are made up of (2) white strips and (1) print strip.

Decide how you want to layout your strips and group your strips together based on their row letter.

For Example:
Row A is comprise of (1) 28.5” print strip and (1) 24.5” white strip. Take both of these strips and pin them together with a post-it or label marked “A.”

Here is a chart with how your strips should be paired up:

Ascend-8

SEWING

1) First take your 41” and 12” strips you set aside earlier.

Sew (1) 41” strip to (1) 12” strip = 52.5” strip

You’ll end up with (15) 52.5” strips. These will be the strips between our print units.

Ascend-9

2) Take your grouped units and sew the white strips to each end of the print strip. It doesn’t matter which end is which because you can just turn them “upside down”, unless you have directional fabric. Keep one of your labels with your strip so that you can easily put everything together. Here is Row E as an example:

Ascend-10

3) Once you have all of your units pieced, sew your rows together per the diagram above.

4b2da-title_yield

52.5″ x 63″ Quilt – The perfect comfort quilt sized just right for snuggling on the couch or under the Christmas tree!

Since this is the Summer of Solids, I went ahead and whipped up a Bella Solids version of this pattern. Please check out my blog, www.mustlovequilts.com, for details on what colors I used, and the piecing diagram for the solids version. I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial on Moda Bake Shop!

Ascend Bella Solids

Until next time, Piece Out!

Corinne Sovey
{mustlovequilts.com}

Latest posts by Corinne Sovey (see all)

29 comments on “Ascend Quilt

1. Cocopatch says:

yeah!! love these ideas!! Thanks!

2. Heather says:

Super cute, but I must say I love love love the Bella solids version!

3. Rosemaryflower says:

really nice. This looks quick and easy — and delightful

4. Margie says:

I’m waiting for the tutorial on the solids version. Love it! Will it be on your website soon?

5. Cheryl says:

Great pattern! Thanks for sharing this with us. I’m not finding the solids color option on your blog though.

6. I’m so glad y’all like it! The solids version is now up on my blog, including the color names and numbers for the Bella Solids I used. Enjoy!

7. Lisa says:

Great pattern. I love the solids option as well.

8. Lois Ann says:

Congratulations on your first Moda bakeshop design. I love both and am amazed at how you make solids look so gorgeous.

9. Congrats on your first design!! It looks amazing and super easy to make 🙂

10. Cheryl Cheryl says:

Wonderful pattern and great tutorial!

11. Kelly says:

Wow those quilts are beautiful! I think I might do one where the background goes from pale blue all the way to a deep navy then do the steps the same way but with green. Thanks for sharing this pattern!

12. Wanda Dotson says:

You’ve been a busy bee, Corinne. The summer colors in the pattern are perfectly relaxing and exciting!

13. kathyinmn says:

Wow, it’s amazing both ways!

14. I just love it Corinne! The colors are beautiful in the solids. And it would be so much fun to quilt!

15. frstborn says:

This is a GREAT pattern for all my leftover 2.5″ strips!

16. Patricia Cash says:

Great quilt and I can use my jelly roll that is sitting waiting for a project.

17. Johanna says:

I love these! Congrats on your first project! I can see these patterns being quite useful.

18. Congrats on your first Moda Bakeshop Design. I have been wanting to make a quick Christmas Quilt for some time and now I’ve found the perfect pattern! Thanks

19. Visiting from the “New Bloggers” group. I LOVE this pattern! Great job! 🙂

20. Way to go! Love all the negative space for FMQ! Kudos for doing it in two colourways so people get lots of ideas and inspiration!

21. Kelly O. says:

SO FANTASTIC!

22. CruiseFan says:

Absolutely great! I really love the quilting on the “Christmas version”.

23. Terri Ann says:

I have to say that I think this quilt is a great illustration of how a quilt design can be lovely in one color way and AMAZING in another. I really love this pattern because the bella solid version of it takes my breath away. Nice touch with the photo being on the stairs; I see what you did there 🙂

24. Oh very cool and such a great idea. Congrats on your first MBS feature.

25. I love both versions — can’t wait to make one for myself! Thanks for sharing!!