Sunset Ridge Quilt

MBS-SunsetRidge_Title

Hello everyone!  My name is Chrissy Lux and I co-own Sew Lux Fabric with my mom.  I am really excited to be back on the Moda Bake Shop sharing another project with you today.

V & Co’s new Simply Colorful line (coming out in July) is full of beautiful warm colors.  Moda has bundled these by color and the come in these cute Junior Jelly Rolls (20 strips)!  Here’s a fun & quick quilt project that could easily be enlarged to make a bigger version – just add more strips & rows!

8cb62-title_ingredients

MBS-Supplies

1 Junior Jelly Roll in EACH of Simply Colorful colorways (red, orange & yellow)
1.25 yards background (I used Bella White Bleached #9900 98)
1.5 yards backing
0.5 yard binding

96b91-title_instructions

Once you have gathered all your materials, its time to cut!

From your Jelly Roll strips:

Cut sixty (60) 2.5″ x 6.5″ rectangles.  (I cut two from each print in red, orange, and yellow.)

From your background:

Cut two (2) 4.5″ x WOF strips

Cut two (2) 8.5″ x WOF strips

Cut four (4) 2.5″ x WOF strips.

Subcut the 2.5″ wide background strips into 2.5″ squares.  You’ll need 60 squares.

MBS-Bricks

Let’s sew it together! (Sew right sides together and use a 1/4″.)

Step 1: Sew a 2.5″ background square to one end of each 2.5″ x 6.5″ print rectangle.  Chain piecing makes this go quick!

MBS-ChainPiece

Press each unit toward print fabric.

MBS-Pieces

Step 2: Sew twenty pieced rectangles together joining the long sides and alternating them as shown to make a row. Press all seams in one direction.

MBS-GoldRow

Repeat steps 1 and two to make three rows.

MBS-2morerows

Step 3: Assemble the quilt!  Your rows should measure 40.5″ wide.  Trim your 4.5″ and 8.5″ wide background strips to 40.5″ long.  Sew a 4.5″ wide strip on the top and the bottom sides of row two.  Press toward the background strip. Then add row one and row three  to the top and bottom of the center unit.  Finally, add the 8.5″ wide strips to the top and bottom to complete the top.

MBS-Layout

Step 4:  Baste and quilt as desired.  I glue basted and quilted in a fun square pattern.

MBS-Quilting

Step 5: Cut six 2.5″ x WOF strips from your binding fabric.  Join end-to-end and attach to the front.  Finish by hand or machine.  (Need help binding?  MBS tutorial here.)

MBS-BackBind

4b2da-title_yield

One cute 40″ x 50″ quilt.  This is a great kid-sized quilt.  Make it bigger by adding more strips to each row (wider) and another row (longer).

MBS-SunsetRidge

FYI – Junior Jelly Rolls have 20 strips. You can also use one regular Jelly Roll (40 strips) of your favorite collection to make it scrappy instead of color-blocked.

Chrissy Lux
{sewluxfabric.com}

Chrissy Lux

Chrissy Lux

Shop Owner at Sew Lux Fabric
Sew Lux Fabric & Gifts is run by a mother-daughter team in the Southeast. We love fabric and look forward to becoming your favorite online shop!
Chrissy Lux

Latest posts by Chrissy Lux (see all)

24 comments on “Sunset Ridge Quilt

1. Penny says:

Why are you not giving your artist a contract to work under? This does not seem to be sound business practices and it leaves your artist unprotected, not good practices. I just read a story and you are one of the companies named, and for such a big name out there, this more then surprised me. Thank you for your time in answering my question. GOD bless

2. Pam S - Richmond says:

I love this quilt. Beautiful, simple and great instructions! Thank you for sharing.

3. kathyinmn says:

Wow, this is stunning.

4. Wrennette says:

I will very much enjoy coming to your new fabric on line stop. I also want you to know how much I enjoyed your quilt. I have never been a fan of yellows and oranges…accept in the Autumn…but lately
    I have been looking at these colors differently and your quilt has sealed the deal for me. It is so cheerful and just what I was looking for…an easy to get finished quilt for times when I need one for the many children and grandchildren that my family and friends are welcoming into their families. Perfect.
    I think you are off to a very good start….I wish you well.

5. Marg says:

What a Lovely fresh looking quilt to drape over a wicker chair on the patio!
    May I suggest that it would be even faster if you don’t bother cutting all the 2 1/2″ background squares, but instead lay the coloured rectangles on the background strips and chain piece them, then cut them apart. I can’t wait to make the quilt on aquas & greens.

6. CruiseFan says:

This looks very nice!
    I might do this in blue-ish colours – having tons of them already cut up in jelly roll width.
    Thanks for this tutorial.
    Love the square-ish quilting, too.
    I could imagine this also with only child/baby fabrics (+ white or any other light background fabric) to make up a great baby shower quilt!

7. Rosemaryflower says:

Chrissie, this is a sweet pattern and works so well with V+Co fabrics
    Thank you so much for sharing this.
    ❤️

8. Beverly Elliott says:

Love this!! I will definitely be making this one really soon. Thank you!

9. laureneterry says:

I love it! Thanks for posting.

10. Denise says:

Love it and I want these colors

11. This looks such fun and not at all complicated. I may do it ” scrappy style ” using my oddments of 21/2 ” pieces. So fresh and clean looking too with the white background. I have just ordered a 10ft freestyle machine quilting frame so I have to make lots of quilt tops asap ! Very exciting

12. Cindy says:

Perfect timing because I won a Moda Grunge Jellyroll from my LQS yesterday. I love this design. Thanks!

13. Totally love this! I think I will have to make one soon!

14. obat kuat says:

Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening. I appreciate
    you taking the time and effort to put this content together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and commenting.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

15. I love this pattern — I’m a big fan of V&Co — I hope you and your mom offer the fabric when it’s available!

16. margaret says:

very nice quilt maybe I will have a go, seem to have a stash of jelly rolls

17. So fresh and clean looking. Can’t decide which jelly roll to use as they will all look good with this simple effective pattern
    Many thanks for the idea

18. SarahZ says:

Great pattern! And super clear instructions!! Thanks so much!

19. Terrylee says:

Perfect timing that I stumbled on this post having just ordered from SewLux last week. Can I say how I love your fast service AND your very nicely gift wrapped package! It was like Christmas in June! Can’t wait to order the Jr rolls of V & C too. This is just the right pattern too.thanks for sharing!

20. […] chose a design called Sunset Ridge from the Moda Bake Shop site. If you haven’t ever checked out the Moda Bake Shop then you’re missing out! They […]

21. Debbie Crawford says:

Love the quilt and sew simple to make. Thank you for sharing.