Lattice and Chains Quilt

finishedheader

I am very happy to bring you this quilt project that I made from ”Varsity” by Sweetwater for Moda.  Such a fun fabric line, great for a boys/mens quilt!  I decided to leave out the mainly green and mainly yellow prints to make it a semi-patriotic quilt, but one that doesn’t scream patriotic.  It has plenty of grays and even a bit of black thrown in to make the patriotic theme more subtle.  For the design, I combined a chain block with a lattice block making them almost look intertwined!  I love how it turned out!

8cb62-title_ingredients

20150605_094159

2 Jelly Rolls (”Varsity” by Sweetwater) You will use 59 strips total.
5 3/4 yards background (Moda Bella ”Porcelain”)
3/4 yard binding
5 1/2 yards backing

96b91-title_instructions

Lets start by cutting our solid yardage.  You will be cutting:

6 at 6.5” x WOF

18 at 2.5″ x WOF

26 at 4.5” x WOF (6 for A blocks, 20 for B blocks)

Take 20 of the 4.5” strips and subcut them into 4.5” squares.  Then, cut on the diagonal of each to create 320 triangles.  You *could* get these pieces from 18 strips, but I chose not to use the parts with the factory fold, so I got 8 squares per strip (which equalled 16 triangles).

Next, separate out 32 Jelly Roll strips – and cut them into 8” lengths.

The solid triangles and 8” Jelly Roll strip pieces will be for your ”B” blocks.

B-cutting

To assemble your ”B” blocks, start by marking the center of each strip and the center of the diagonal for the solid triangles:

markcenterstrip

trianglecenters

aligncenters

pintriangle

stitchtriangles

pressb

trim1

trim2

trim3

arrangeb

bblock

~~~~~~~~~~

Now, we can work on the ”A” blocks.  These will be made from strip sets.  You will use 27 Jelly Roll strips.  Working with the full WOF length, sew strip sets together as pictured below and press seams toward the prints:

stripset1

stripset4stripset3

Cutting the strip sets:

stackstripsets

subcutstripsets

17sections

separatestripsetsections

arrangea

pressa

Quilt top assembly:

atob

Assemble your quilt into 9 rows of 9 blocks.  The corners will have the ”A” (chain) blocks and will alternate with the ”B” (lattice) blocks.

Then, you will have your complete quilt top measuring just over 90×90.  A great size quilt for a queen size bed, and my favorite size quilt!

flimsydone

Now, you can layer, baste, and quilt as desired!  I chose to FMQ in random loops and stars 🙂

featuredpic

Here are a couple other pics to show what it might look like in other fabric choices:

hellodarlingchain

^^Hello Darling by Bonnie and Camille with aqua background^^

Or, if you wanted to do a 3-color quilt:

latticechainsredwhiteblue

So many possibilities!

4b2da-title_yield

90″ x 90″ quilt, perfect for a queen size bed!

finishedheader

Karin Vail
{www.cascadequilts.com}

Karin Vail

Karin Vail

I have been quilting since 1989 but the last few years it has become an obsession.I blog at Cascade Quilts and Moda pre-cuts are my favorite fabrics to use for quilting.I love modern fabrics, but lean toward more traditional patterns for the most part.I live in NW Washington state and have two grown sons.I have been married to my best friend since 1991.I work from home sewing custom hats, but when business is slow, I quilt!
Karin Vail

Latest posts by Karin Vail (see all)

24 comments on “Lattice and Chains Quilt

1. Beautiful! Great job Karin!

2. Sue says:

Love the whole darn thing! Thanks!

3. Debora says:

I love how those two blocks work together and also the additional color options you shared. Thank you!

4. Liliana says:

Hermoso trabajo Felicitaciones !!!!

5. blg2240 says:

Oh how I love this! I will make every effort to cut correctly so that this works as I want to make it very much. Thank you for sharing your talent.

6. Rosemaryflower says:

WOW Karin.
    Another wonderful creation.
    Love the fabrics too♥️

7. Mary Flegal says:

As a person that loves red, white and blue so much I am enchanted with your beautiful quilt. I have made a few in those colors too.

8. RobinD says:

Absolutely LOVE it . . .was looking for the perfect pattern/fabric to make a quilt for my husband since everyone gets one but him . . .this is IT. Thank you

Would you mind including the yardage amount for three color quilt pictured above, since it wasn’t made with Jelly Rolls?

• Karin Vail Karin Vail says:

if you wanted to make it a 3-color quilt, the background would be the same yardage – the ‘chain’ would be 2 yards, and the ‘lattice’ would be 2 1/4 yards. I would love to see your quilt when you finish!

9. Jasmine says:

Great tutorial. I always appreciate when pressing instructions are included.

10. What a great quilt!!!!

11. Elizabeth Utley says:

This is a definite ‘ must make ‘ . Your tutorial is brilliant too . Thank you. I can’t wait to start it
    I am staying with our family in NY at the moment but once back home in Nth Yorkshire, UK it will be made.
    Love it

12. Vicky says:

Love the quilt!! Will definitely be put on my to do list.

13. kathyinmn says:

So beautiful! Really clear easy instructions too.

14. Karee says:

I love this quilt you are sharing with us! Beautiful, flexible: color placement precise or totally scrappy, and easy. I will make this one over and over. Thank you so much for sharing your talents

15. Great quilt, love that there isn’t any seam matching between blocks, very clever.

16. Carol says:

Carol
    What a great pattern with so many different looks. I love patterns like this. You do wonderful work. Thank you for Shari g such a great pattern!

17. Dawn Leslie says:

I love your color combo and great instructions. Thank you

18. Joanna Marshall says:

Hi, I love this pattern and the fabric chosen. I live in Manchester England and am unable to find the “Varsity” Jelly Roll that is used with this quilt. Please can you help with a stockist either in the USA or England where I can purchase the items