Just a Small Slice, Please Quilt

moda

Hello!  I am Denniele Bohannon of Louanna Mary Quilt Design.  As a first time chef, I am very excited to be bringing you Just a Small Slice, Please made from Barbara Brackman’s latest William Morris line, The Morris Jewels.  The rich and vibrant prints just begged for clean lines and large pieces to let them sparkle.

This quilt finishes at 48″ x 60″.

8cb62-title_ingredients

themorrisjewelsf8EZ Ruler.Binding

1 fat 8th bundle of The Morris Jewels

1/2 yard for binding

3 yards for backing

Dresden Plate Ruler (I used the one by EZ Quilting)

96b91-title_instructions

You can select 27 fat 8ths or cut wedges from each fat 8th in the bundle.

Cut an 8″ strip from each fat 8th.  Using the ruler, cut 8 wedges from each strip.  You can flip the ruler to make the cutting go faster.  Cut 216 wedges.

IMG_1555

Each row has 27 wedges.  The first row starts and ends with the widest end of the wedge at the top.  Alternate the wide end from top to bottom to create a row.

Single row

Stitch the first two wedges together.

IMG_1564

There is a tiny lip that will show of the bottom fabric.

IMG_1565

Press the seam to the right.  Keep adding wedges until you have a row of 27.

IMG_1567

Lay out the second row matching the wide end of the wedges to the first row.  Stitch as before only press the seams to the left.

IMG_1563

Continue adding 6 more rows in the same manner.  Pressing seams in each row the opposite direction from the previous row.  Stitch the 8 rows together butting the seams up to each other.  Press these seams open.

Quilt, bind and enjoy!

4b2da-title_yield

Finished quilt size is 48″ x 60″

I like to think William Morris would love these bright jewels. (photo courtesy of Barbara Brackman)

William Morris tiedye

moda 2

I would love to see your Just a Small Slice, Please. You can email a photo to Louannamary @ gmail.com, tag me on instagram @dennielebohannon or Facebook,  Louanna Mary Quilt Design.

Enjoy!
Denniele Bohannon
{Louanna Mary Quilt Design}

Latest posts by Denniele Bohannon (see all)

50 comments on “Just a Small Slice, Please Quilt

1. Judy says:

Darn it, it won’t let me save this project.

2. Judy says:

Can’t post it to Pinterest, either. Clicking on the icon just takes me to a broad Moda site, not the particular quilt.

• Denniele says:

Judy, you might try pinning it again. I was able to pin it this evening when I tried. Hope it works for you.

3. Kathy Hoback says:

WOW! That is a beautiful quilt!

4. I absolutely love this quilt. Love your fabric but is also another great one to make with scraps. Lovely, lovely!! Thank you for sharing!!

5. Karen Miller Karen Miller says:

Way to go Denniele – what a beautiful and inspiring quilt. Love the fabric and the simple, straight forward design. Thanks so much for an awesome tutorial. Karen

6. Belinda Bentley says:

This is beautiful. I have I have several ez rulers that I have never used but this project has inspired me.

7. amadarling says:

Beautiful Jewel-like Quilt – Love it!!

8. CruiseFan says:

Wow – how colorful!
    A very good way to use up all of these scraps I have! (They’re colorful, too!)
    And finally I would use that ruler again. I suppose it has a thick layer of dust on it…..
    Thanks for sharing.

9. That is very bright and colorful. Nicely done.

10. kathyinmn says:

Very creative use of this template. Love the bright colors.

11. Erika Balban says:

this is a really beautiful and eye catching quilt! love it xx

12. msmadesimpler says:

So clever, thank you Denniele. I love the ‘elongation’ and that you kept Mr Morris up to date. Love it!

13. blg2240 says:

Love this! The colors are just wonderful and anything using Dresden is okay with me.

14. I adore quilts that use the Dresden pieces. It really is remarkable the number of variations that can be created with them. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your first project for Moda Bake Shop. I will definitely be bookmarking this quilt and put it as a must make quilt! Have a wonderful creative day!

15. Quilting Tangent says:

Very pretty quilt.

16. Ginger says:

You go sister— you are always thinking outside the box….. this will be a easy quilts but will look like it takes longer.. Love the colorw

17. Kandi says:

Just love the Quilt. Bright, beautiful colors. Makes me want to find my Ruler and some fat quarters and start cutting.

18. Kathleen says:

Love this!! That fabric is so striking in this design.

19. hh says:

For those who don’t have this exact ruler – dusty or not! – this appears to be 18′ for a 20-slice Dresden Plate.

20. What a great pattern! I am working on it at this moment, making it our of blue and pink.
    I am chainpiecing 2 rows at the time, to make sure the colors match 🙂

Thanks for sharing this great pattern!!!!

21. Donna Taylor says:

I can’t find where you tell us how to add the outer piece (the light “border” around your quilt). How do you know what size to make this?

• Denniele says:

Donna,
      Do you mean the binding? There is no border. The binding was cut 2 1/2″ inches. The angles are so very gently sloped they are not hard to do. I hope I am answering your question? Can’t wait to see your quilt.

22. Ileana Salzer says:

Loved this quilt so much, couldn’t wait. I didn’t use the same fabrics as you did, I have so many fabrics I would only be able to use if I get to my 500th birthday. Last night I finished the quilt, I mean piecing, quilting and binding. It came out really nice, so nice that I posted pictures on Facebook before it was finished and a friend wants to buy it. I will love to send you some pictures, if you are interested, please let me know where to send them. Thanks for the pattern, I enjoyed every minute of it..

• lmqd says:

Ileana…just shows you that I am not a techie…couldn’t do it from my phone!

denniele says:

October 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Ileana..I would love to see your quilt. So glad you like the pattern and found the directions eady to follow. Please email them to me at louannamary@gmail.com. Can I share them on my Louanna Mary Quilt Design facebook page? Can’t wait to see it. 🙂

23. denniele says: