Hello, I’m Sherri Noel from RebeccaMaeDesigns. Thanks for joining me on the Moda Bake Shop to check out my Color Play Holiday Mini. This design is made from Moda’s Basic Mixologie Collection. The colors are so delicious and the fabric is soft as ever, I just love it! The raw edge design goes together fast ~ just what you need for that last minute gift or mini swap project! You have the option of using one charm plus one mini charm pack OR a layer cake! I hope you have fun and enjoy!
This mini quilt finishes at 22 1/2″ x 22 1/2″.
1 x Basic Mixologie Charm Pack
1 x Basic Mixologie Mini Charms Pack
2/3 yard backing fabric
1/4 yard binding fabric
double-sided paper-backed fusible
Read through all the instructions before beginning.
Let’s get started!
1) Layout (25) 5″ squares for the background.
2) Sew background squares into rows. Press all seams in first row in the same direction, press next row in opposing direction. Join rows together nesting seams.
3) Select (4) 5″ squares for the four large center peels (template A).
4) Trace template A four times. Cut out fusible 1/4″ on inside and 1/4″ on the outside of traced line. Place diagonally on 5″ squares.
5) Iron fusible in place onto the back side of fabric and trim on traced line.
6) Trace template B onto fusible 24 times and template C 9 times. Cut shapes out 1/4″ outside traced line. Fuse onto the wrong side of leftover 5″ squares OR mini charms and cut out the shapes on the traced line.
7) Start with large A shapes in the center. Mark or crease the pieced background on the diagonals and place the A shapes with points matching the diagonal creases. The outside points of the peels should measure 2 1/2″ from corner (see next pic). Center circle over inner points and fuse all in place.
8) For all the other applique shapes, fuse in place using following pictures as a guide:
Circles: 1 1/8″ from inside edges
Small Peels: 1/2″ from outside edge and 1/4″ from sides
Corners: 1/2″ from outside edges and 1/4″ from inside edges
Stitch all raw edge applique 1/8″ from edge.
Optional: Turn quilt top to back and carefully cut a slit in the background fabric behind template A peels. Trim and remove background fabric inside applique stitching to reduce bulk.
Also Optional: If you want your center motif to pop… Add a small square layer of batting behind the center applique, pin in place, turn to front and stitch right along outside edge of applique. Trim excess batting away from the back.
Make your quilt sandwich and quilt as desired. Here is a close-up of the stitching I did to secure the extra center motif batting plus a couple rounds of echo quilting through the entire quilt sandwich…
Can you see how the grey center peels are popping up from the extra batting? It’s so fun!!!
I re-used the A template to mark my top for more quilting…
and I also loved the look of the stitching around the center applique so much that I went back and added it on every piece as part of the quilting!
Check out this binding! Love this fabric!!!
I hope you enjoyed this Color Play mini tutorial ~ you can find the original Color Play Quilt tutorial also in the bake shop.
If you like this mini quilt… Please Pin and Share!
This Color Play Holiday mini quilt in Basic Mixologie finishes at an adorable 22 1/2″ x 22 1/2″.
If you want to read more about this quilt and the quilting and thread choices please visit my blog post here and say hello!