Jumping In the QAL

cut-sew-repeat

{by @materialgirlquilts | Amanda Castor}

Many of you have tagged us on social media to share your fabric choices for our ABC Birthday quilt along. Some of you have even finished your quilt top! But if you haven’t gotten started yet, never fear. You have plenty of time to join us. In fact, this week would be a great time to start because we are going to pick our first prize winner. Yes, that’s right! Prizes!

To enter, do one or more of the following:

• Comment below with some info about the quilt you are making – fabric choice, phrase, etc. Feel free to link up to your blog if you have shared sketches or photos of your progress
  • Tag us on Instagram with a photo of your sketch or fabric choice (@modabakeshop)

If you want to join us but missed the details, click {here}.

MBS-ABC-Birthday-QAL-slider-800x420

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

50 comments on “Jumping In the QAL

1. I have the fabric chosen to make the letters in my soon-to-be born granddaughter’s name. I’m going to start with filler places.

2. Rita Scott says:

I have Amy Ellis fabric, Modern Neutrals, chosen to make a quilt for my neice’ graduation. Math figured out and need a little more background fabric as I am making it larger than the pattern.

3. Mary says:

I love the words you’ve chosen.

4. MoeWest says:

I plan to make letter blocks to spell my granddaughter’s name and put them in a pieced backing for a quilt I have in progress.

5. Kirsten says:

I am going to make the original ABC quilt using my Bonnie and Camille stash and have done a blog post about my plans here:

6. Joyce Hart says:

Love the fabrics

7. Cathy says:

I love this…need to find the patterns for the letters.

8. Becky Wroughton says:

I love the scissors would like to buy pattern

9. melanie c says:

I’m planning on using Vintage Picnic jelly roll. I’m going to make mine each family member’s name 🙂

10. Bev Harrison says:

Where are the patterns for the letters?

11. Carol O says:

Does anyone answer questions on here? I also would like to know how to get instructions for the scissors. Thanks to whom ever might answer.

• Lisa Calle says:

The scissors shown are by Amanda Castor. She is going to share her pattern here on the Moda Bake Shop as part of the quilt along. Remember, this quilt along runs through June and we will share a variety of these “filler” blocks.

12. Judy says:

If you want to join us but missed the details, click {here}. Click on the word “here.” That will take you to the Moda site.

• Bev Harrison says:

Ok now there is an update at the bottom of the page. A couple of our friends have tried to help also, thank you quilters! In the mean time i finally found a couple of letters on the original pinners/bloggers/letter designers’ bl8gs…but they were very well hidden. So now we know to 6se that long “thing” and insert the letter we want instead of the $ (dollar sign). Thank you all for your commiserating and help!

13. Amanda says:

I’m starting with bright colorful kid’s fabrics that will feature something named by the same letter. T is for Truck’s and R is for Robot’s so far. 🙂 Eventually I’ll get to the whole alphabet, but I want them to be throw pillow style so my kids can spell out what they want!

14. Laura Valdez says:

Have tried every link listed and cannot get to the letter! UGH! Can you email the pdf for this? Getting frustrated! Thank you!

15. Margaret Lippert says:

I have not been able to get the letters either… have looked several places and can’t find the mini book or not real savvy at using pinterest, can’t figure out how to download the individuals either. Help!! would love to do, I have a new niece and nephew that both need quilts.

16. sue H says:

I plan on using my last name and turning it into a kitchen window treatment! It will be in sunny yellows and brilliant blues!

17. Anne says:

My daughter is studying to be a teacher; I am going to make her a quilt similar to the ABC…Read With Me quilt found here in the Bakeshop. I am working in my collection of fabrics featuring children’s book characters. Luckily my daughter doesn’t graduate for a bit! Thank you.

18. Melody says:

Hi Everyone,
    Here is a link to the Spell it With Fabric Booklet, which is available at fatquartershop.com. Happy sewing and quilting!

19. Gale says:

I am making three Christmas quilts for my grandgirls. I have the names for two done, just need to add them to the quilts. Our third is due in May, so have to wait until she is named. I am using blocks I made a few years ago for a 20 block quilt ( free pattern from the Moda fabric site called Dear Mr. Claus). Nearly had the top all done, but felt this would make better use of my beautiful fabrics. I used the alphabet when the original launch was done a make an alphabet quilt for our oldest grandgirls second birthday.

20. Lisa Marie says:

Scrappy letters sound like the perfect solution to tame the mountain of scraps that threaten to bury me!

21. Pam J says:

I am doing a small quilt with the word thrive. I just retired and am trying to adjust to this life change. Thrive is my word for this year as I adjust to retirement. I am not sure of the colors yet, probably bright and vibrant ones.

• Bev Harrison says:

Pam J: me too. And i love your choice: thrive! I myself was thinking of Mindful but i might have to steal your idea!

22. maureen says:

I want to make a wall hanging with my word of the year. Looking to make scrappy letters to spell CHALLENGE.

23. Tricia says:

I made a mini quilt of each letter in my daughter’s name using Bonnie and Camille’s Scrumptious line. The mini quilts are now hanging in my daughter’s room and she loves them!!

24. Donna says:

I have my Zen Chic Ink Jelly Roll and colors from my stash ready to go. Just need some time to make my Live, Love, Laugh Learn quilt

25. Cute post 🙂
    Maria V.

26. Johanna says:

I’m thinking of doing a beach theme quilt. Not sure on colors or fabrics yet!

27. Whitney says:

I believe I am going to sew the abc’s in bonnie and Camille fabric!

28. JoAnne McPherson says:

I finished my quilt and shared it on Instagram, although I don’t think I tagged you. You did “like” it though. It was such a fun quilt to make. Thanks for the quilt-along!

29. Abigail says:

Going to do my soon to be born son’s name in the little ark fabric with a gray background and whale blocks around it.

30. Corrie Broughton says:

Making this for my nieces 4th birthday using the 30’s playtime jelly roll

31. Lisa Calle says:

For those of you looking for the scissors pattern, Amanda has shared her tutorial here: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2016/02/qal-cut-sew-press-repeat-2.html