When I chose what to spell for my ABC quilt along project I decided on the phrase “love lives here” because of the warm welcoming message. It’s a wonderful daily reminder that home is where the heart is! Once I decided on the phrase I knew exactly what filler blocks I would create and one of those blocks would be a patchwork heart.
This block is a great scrap buster, or if you’re spelling along just clip off a bit from the edge of your jelly roll strips you’ll still have plenty of fabric for any of the letter blocks. The scraps in this pattern are from 1 1/2″ pieces so while I apologize for how fussy that size can be to work with, you’ll forgive me for the cuteness factor, right?
Let’s get to the patchwork heart 8 x 10″ finished block!
- 24 – 11/2” x 11/2” (I’m using scraps of Aria by Kate Spain)
- 1 – 3 1/2” x 8 1/2” (A)
- 1 – 2 1/2” x 8 1/2” (B)
- 2 – 1 1/2” x 5 1/2” (C)
- 3 – 1 1/2” x 2 1/2” (D)
- 10 – 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” (E)
On Pressing Seams
When I work with pieces this small I press my seams open, if that’s not your jam you can press your seam allowances to the side, just sure to use a scant 1/4″ seam if that’s the case.
The nice thing about using 1 1/2″ squares is that you can trim them down perfectly from the scraps on a Jelly Roll®. Like I mentioned in the intro, all the Spell it With Moda letters use less than a full jelly strip, so don’t be shy if you want to start with this block!
1. Start by arranging your patchwork pieces as shown in the photo to plan your layout.
2. Mark the diagonal on 8 (of the 10) 1 1/2″ squares to assemble the easy corner triangles pieces as shown in the photo below
If you’re not familiar with easy corner triangles (ECT), it’s a common technique used in the Spell it With Moda blocks. Mark corner to corner on the square and line it up right sides together as shown in the layout, sew right on that line and trim off the triangle corner at 1/4″ away from the seam. Flip open and press the seams.
3. Assemble the top center piece like a flying geese block. Use the easy corner triangle technique on the opposite corners as shown in the collage below with a 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ background piece and the two top center patchwork scraps.
4. Arrange all the heart components together and add your remaining 1 1/2″ square and 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ pieces with the bottom rows
5. Sew the pieces into rows
6. Sew the rows together
7. Sew the side piece (1 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ piece C) to each side of the patchwork heart
8. Sew the piece (A) to the top of the heart and (B) to the bottom to complete the block
Right now your block should measure 8.5″ x 10.5″
Right now the block is 8″ x 10″ (finished).
Adding Sashing to use with letter blocks
If you’re using this as a filler with the Spell it with Moda letter blocks you’ll want to add sashing just like the letters.
1. Add a 1½”x10½” sashing strip to the right side of the block and press towards the sashing
2. Then sew a 2½” x9½” sashing strip to the bottom of the block and press toward the sashing.
I’m adding all my sashing when I assemble the final rows. So far I have my first word and both hearts done. If you are looking for the Spell it with Moda Patterns for these letters we’ve linked up the L block, O block, V block and E block for you to grab!
I’ve got another filler block coming up this spring to complete my ABC quilt along project. You can follow my progress on the rest of my letters over at my blog, Childlike Fascination. You can also see sneak peeks and first looks by following me on Instagram @terriann. I’m also the creator behind Mini Barn Quilt kits, a fun quilty craft kit.
Keep it crafty!
– Terri Ann