Tips & Tricks: Batting Scraps

MBS-tips-and-tricks-batting

Today’s tip is from reader Meg Yoder of Spoolbeans! Let’s hear what Meg has to say about bringing a little bit of order to those batting scraps.

From Meg:

I think most quilters hate throwing out scraps, so we collect drawers full of them.  For me, those scraps include leftover quilt batting.  Since you need to leave a border in your quilt sandwich there are always lots of extra batting pieces left behind when you trim up the final quilt.  I can’t bear to throw them out and I tell myself I’ll make coasters.  Lots of coasters!  But I never do…

A while back, I took an hour to get those scraps organized and it’s made a big difference.  I sorted them roughly by size and then quickly measured them and labeled them.  I mean quickly, too.  I was only looking for an “at least” measurement – I didn’t stop to square them up or get precise.  I threw out any scraps that weren’t at least 4″ wide.

img_3471

I folded each scrap into whatever way it would best fit into the plastic shoeboxes I already had and then pinned a sticky note with their size on.

I sorted them by width, so I’d be able to go back and grab just what I need for a small quilting project.  I’m happy to report that it was worth it!  I am using up those scraps on lots of small projects I was making anyway, like zippy bags and purse straps.  I love that I can open the batting cupboard without it all falling out on me, too!

Thanks, Meg! I think there will be some rag quilts and coasters in my future.  And if your batting pieces are large enough, check out Chef Jodi Nelson’s tutorial on joining them together to use in a quilt.

14 comments on “Tips & Tricks: Batting Scraps

1. cruisefan says:

Congratulations, Meg!
    You are so far ahead of me….
    I really should be taking your advice of sorting, measuring, labelling and finally storing (or discarting) all those batting pieces that have been accumulating over the years in various boxes, corners, tubes etc..
    Thanks for reminding me! ;-))

P.S. At least one thing though I have done in the past:
    Those extremely small leftover pieces I cut up even smaller and used them for stuffing pincushions.

2. 一元营销 says:

确实不错,这个要实话实说!

3. Marjorie says:

We hate to threw those “useful” pieces of batting or fabric out. What I have been doing is sewing up pillow ( sew three sides together and leave hole on the fourth side). The size can be as big as you like, right now I have a 40″ square bag which when filled with my small batting or scraps of fabric will be sewed up and given to the dog shelter for one of there large dogs. I have also made pillow forms around 12-16″ squares. Stuff with those scraps and then make a pretty cover…now you have a new pillow for a chair or couch and it did not cost much. Consider making small pillows stuffed with batting for pin cushions, they make nice gifts for your sewing buddies.

4. mvjan says:

I do the same and I also note what the batting is made of on the larger pieces – it could make a difference to their future use. I use the smaller pieces on my tile floor sewing room, on my Sw____r mop; they do a wonderful job picking up threads and cat hair!

5. Cecilia says:

Great idea Meg, thank you for sharing. I use the left over scrap batting for dusting works like magic.

6. Angie says:

I zigzag all my batting scraps together to make large enough pieces for baby quilts or lap quilts.

7. Deb k says:

The larger pieces go on your floor swiffer and make nice dusters for your hardwood floors. Costs less too!!

8. Spoolbeans says:

The swiffer idea is genius! After all the times I’ve dropped a piece of batting on the floor only to pick it up covered in thread and dust, how did that NEVER occur to me? 🙂

9. Karin Ross says:

has anyone tried to make paper out of the 100% cotton scraps, cotton linters have gotten very expensive.

10. Linda P in IL says:

Batting scraps work well in the bottom of flower pots to keep the soil in..I’ve been doing that for years.

11. Deegles says:

As my pieces of batting accumulate, I know it is time to start making potholders from my scraps. Potholders can be as simple or as complex as you make them.