Granny’s Insanity Quilt

final watermark

Hello everybody!! My name is Haley Anderson. I’m a quilter, sometimes blogger over at Happiness in the Making, as well as the face behind @happinessinthemaking on Instagram. I have been quilting for almost 10 years, and am so excited about sharing my first pattern with you all! I have been a long time lover of insanity quilts, but have never wanted to do the paper piecing necessary to get the diamond effect that it creates. So I had the idea of combining a traditional granny block with some jelly roll strips to create that same diamond look without the hand stitching! My quilt is called Granny’s Insanity quilt. It comes together quickly and is perfect for featuring your favorite prints or solids. Who isn’t always on the hunt for a perfect jelly roll pattern? I hope you enjoy making it, and would love to see it! Tag me or use the hashtag #grannysinsanityquilt to share your project! Thanks for stopping by! Happy Sewing!

This quilt finishes at 74″ x 58″.

8cb62-title_ingredients

1 Jelly Roll print fabric {Acreage by Shannon Orr}

1 Bella Solid Jelly Roll or 2.5 yards of background fabric {Bella Solids 9900 98}

4 yards backing fabric

3/4 yard of binding fabric

96b91-title_instructions

CUTTING BACKGROUND

If you are using solid yardage for your background, cut it into (31) 2.5 inch x WOF strips. Use as directed.

Using 12 strips, cut 98  4.5 x 2.5 inch strips

Using 9 strips, cut 42 6.5 x 2.5 inch strips

Using 7 strips, cut 32  8.5 x 2.5 inch strips

Using 3 strips, cut 6 18.5 x 2.5 inch strips

CUTTING PRINT JELLY ROLL

Chose 35 of your jelly roll strips, and cut each strip into 9, 4.5 x 2.5 inch strips. My jelly roll had 2 strips of  few prints, so I took out the doubles, and was able to still represent each print evenly.  Each full size block will require 13 of these pieces.  3 sets of 4 prints, and 1  individual print to use as the center of your block. I made mine one block at a time, but if you would like to separate them into piles now, go ahead.

2016-08-25 10.27.19 1_1472182722089_resized

BLOCK TYPE 1

Layout your pieces in the pattern you would like to create inside your granny block.  Sew on the long edges, to create 3 strip sets, pressing your seams all the same direction. Sew those strips together to create a 9 patch. This will be the center of your block.

2016-08-25 10.27.18 1_1472182721445_resized

With the last set of your print fabric, and four 2.5 x 4.5 inch strips of background fabric, you will add 1 more strip set to each end of this block.

*Save the remaining 2 print strips to add later on the outside of these blocks, and complete the outside layer of your granny block. I pinned mine to the center of each block so they stayed together while I was continuing to work.

2016-08-25 10.27.16 1_1472182719949_resized

Repeat these instructions, until you have 21 blocks.

2016-08-25 10.27.15 1_1472182719498_resized

BlOCK TYPE 2

With the remaining pieces of your jelly roll prints, you will create an end block, to start and finish your rows.

Use 2 pieces of the same print, 2 misc. print strips, and two, 2.5 x 4.5 strips of background fabric to create this block.  Your first strip will be background fabric on both sides of a print, and you second will be the same print on both sides of a different print strip.

2016-08-25 10.27.13 1_1472182719005_resized

Join them together to create your block. You will repeat these steps, and make 7 total of block type 2.

LAYOUT

Step 1

Layout your blocks in  your desired positions. Every Row will have 3 full size blocks, and 1 end block.  Alternate every other row either starting, or ending with block type 2.  You will join your blocks with 2.5 inch x 6.5 inch background strips.

. haley's bakeshop photo picture 1

Step 2

Sew together to create 7 strips.

haley's bake shop photo picture 2

Step 3

Now is when you will need those 2 extra pieces of print fabric that match the top and bottom print of your granny blocks. Lay them out to the side of each matching block.

haley's bake shop picture 2.5

Step 4

With the remaining strips of your background fabric, fill in your layout as follows.

Your 6, 18.5 inch strips will be used on the very outside edges of your quilt.

The center rows all go as follows; 8.5 inch strip of background fabric, print strip, 6.5 inch strip of background fabric, print strip, 8.5 inch strip of background fabric, print strip, 6.5 inch strip of background fabric, print strip, 8.5 inch strip of background fabric, print strip, 6.5 inch strip of background fabric, print strip, ending with an 8.5 inch strip of background fabric.  Sew all  8 columns together

haley's bake shop photo final layout

Step 5

Sew together your second set of strips, being extra careful to keep your order correct. When this is done, you can assemble your top!

pic unedited Screenshot_2016-08-25-21-56-26_1472180226272 2016-08-25 07.24.50 1_1472182706758_resized 2016-08-25 10.10.18 1_1472182707433_resized 2016-08-25 10.10.25 1_1472182711634_resized 2016-08-25 10.10.27 1_1472182713163_resized

4b2da-title_yield

This quilt finishes at 74″ x 58″.

I hope you love this as much as I do!

Granny’s Insanity is quilted in an Orange Peel pattern, by Katie Garrett, or @Katiegarrettquilts

Haley Anderson
Happiness in the Making

28 comments on “Granny’s Insanity Quilt

1. […] it! Tag me or use the hashtag #grannysinsanityquilt to share your project with me!! Head over to Moda Bake shop for the FREE PATTERN!!! Happy […]

2. Rosemaryflower says:

I love this quilt so much. Thank you for sharing this beauty and your enthusiasm❤️

3. Angie says:

What a fun way to use a jelly roll!! Thanks for sharing!!

4. Wrennette Aagaard says:

You said in the beginning that this was your first pattern. May I congratulate you on a really wonderful new quilt pattern? I love this pattern. I’m not very advanced in my quilting and this falls right into my capabilities I think. Plus I love the fun it will be using my collection of red and white scraps….and the jelly rolls that temp me weekly. Ha ha. Keep your creative juices flowing…and thank you.

5. Jen V says:

I love this more than I can say. 🙂

6. Joyce says:

I love your pattern! I am fairly new at quilting and your instructions are very well written and the diagrams are great! Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Rebecca Peterson says:

Thanks for coming up with a FUN, EASY, and NO WASTE jelly roll pattern! What a wonderful quilter, and person you are!!! Gorgeous work!!

8. Kit says:

Love this quilt – it’s now on my to-do list. Thank you!

9. talldaughter says:

I have been told you can’t do a dark backing with a light quilt top as the quilting threads will not match one side. I ignored that and have dark quilting on the light side which is ok but perhaps they were right. What did you do with the dark light issue. I’ve had a look a the photos and can’t see the quilting. Thanks,

10. Julia Dance says:

Looking forward to making this beauty. Thank you so much.

11. Jan Altomare says:

I love this quilt and the pattern. You have done an outstanding job on the tutorial. The step by step and diagrams of layout are perfect. I’ve got this on my list to do, since I have a few print and a few solid jelly rolls hanging around.

12. Vicki Brown says:

Please put your fonts in black these old eyes don’t see the grey verywell

13. lisa Mey says:

I love this design and as a new to quilting quilter it looks and sounds so easy. I had another pattern picked out to do as my first quilt for my own queen size bed but after seeing this quilt I am buying the fabric this weekend and starting this as my first bed size quilt. Thank you so much for the great pattern and easy to follow instructions and diagrams.

14. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful, Haley! I LOVE the beautiful mix of bright colors against the white background! Wow!

15. Tami Colyar says:

GREAT JOB HALEY!! I love it!! I will definitely be using this pattern for one of the girls Christmas quilts!! <3

16. cruisefan says:

‘Spring has sprung’ was my first idea when I saw this nice colorful and easy pattern!
    Very nice choice of color and good tutorial, too!
    An absolute inspiring pattern for a beginner.
    Thanks for sharing.

17. 增达信购 says:

偶然来访,受益良多!

18. Barbara Johnson says:

One of the best JR quilts in a while…and i venture to say i might be at the very top of the JR collector list:(…. VERY well written and even I can understand it !!!! We shall see if i can get all the way thru without having to “fudge” something… Kidding aside.. this is a winner! I thank you so much for sharing with us all:)

19. Jennifer says:

Haley, Great pattern! Congrats and continued success with pattern writing – you’re off to an awesome start 🙂 I too have a weakness for jelly rolls; why is that??

20. Patti McGarry says:

Beautiful quilt, Haley! I have a collection of jelly rolls to choose from but I might just order some Acreage since they hit my favorite colors perfectly! Please tell me the name of your backing fabric, it’s just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

21. Kathy Marx says:

Really cute! Will be trying this!

22. Libby says:

What a “fun pattern” !!! Congrats on your accomplishment !! Strips will be great–and a good “scrappy” also. Thank you for sharing.

23. Beautiful quilt and awesome tutorial Haley — thanks so much for sharing !

24. Angela says:

I just bought a jelly roll and wasn’t sure what pattern I wanted to make and saw yours, now to start cutting and sewing. Can’t wait to share with you the finished quilt.