How to Bake a {Layer} Cake

MBS-how-to-bake

Today we are exploring one of the latest and certainly greatest notions for precuts – Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co. Cake Mix Recipe cards! I’m going to experiment with using these recipe cards to dabble in quilt design and I hope you will join in the fun.

There are four Cake Mix Recipes available, simply named 1, 2, 3, and 4. Each version contains 45 recipe cards, which are printed tissue paper with pinning, piecing, and cutting instructions. Each card can be used to make up to six different types of quilt blocks. The inside cover of the Cake Mix gives some Basic Baking Techniques (like no starch, pressing tips, etc.) It also provides a setting layout, giving the finished size with and without sashing and borders. Basically, each Cake Mix has all you need make a quilt – just add fabric! To get a feel for how to use Cake Mix cards, check out {this page} with a video and instructions, as well as a few patterns to inspire.

8cb62-title_ingredients

96b91-title_instructions

STEP ONE. Make several photocopies of the cover of your Cake Mix recipe card. I’m going to play around with all four of them today, but you can have a lot of fun with just one! You may choose to enlarge the graphic or scan and crop away all of the other parts. I kept it simple and just made lots of copies of each and used an old rotary blade to trim them neatly apart. (The scrap paper makes perfect scribble sheets for the small people in your life!)

MBS-how-to-bake-1

STEP TWO. Play around with the pieces. Mix and match different recipe cards. Cut apart into smaller components. The possibilities are practically endless!

MBS-how-to-bake-2

Play with opposites

MBS-how-to-bake-3

Mix and Match

MBS-how-to-bake-4

Mix two recipes together

MBS-how-to-bake-5

Use the building blocks!

What a fun way to plan a quilt. Tell us what you think about Cake Mix. Are you planning to give them a try?

signature_odamay

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

17 comments on “How to Bake a {Layer} Cake

1. Dottie K says:

What a fun idea! Thank you.

2. Rosemaryflower says:

this is a fun idea. I will try it!

3. gentleenuff says:

I’m not finding the potential quilt size on any of the (4) shown above. What size quilt can one expect to get from a package of (45) paper pieces. A larger quilt might need 2 packages, (?) better to know before buying fabric! Could be a great concept, but too much missing info.

4. Robby says:

I like that there isn’t much waste with these. Such a clever idea to copy the cover so you have some shapes to play with and “design” your quilt. I do agree with the poster that mentioned size info. Maybe at least finished block size so you can figure out how many and if you want to add in sashing?

5. Janet Baer says:

When are they going to be shipped to stores? I ordered some several weeks ago and haven’t received them.

• Lin Coad says:

They are in my local store. Not sure where you ordered from that you are still waiting. I order alot from Missouri Star Quilt Company and get my items in 3 days. MSQC has the cake mixes too!! And lots of videos using them! Love MSQC!!

6. Patsy says:

I fell in love with these when I first saw them on the Moda blog and again in my local quilt shop. I definitely plan to play around with them.

7. Marilyn says:

I purchased two and I am ready to follow along

8. Barb Brandt says:

I love this concept! Great results without tedious cutting instructions – sometimes I just want to sit and sew without the mental math, lol! Plus a layer cake yields such a great variety of prints already coordinated Can’take wait for these to hit my LQS☺

9. ANN M. says:

Very clever. I make most of my quilting mistakes in the cutting part so, this should help me a lot.

10. Erin Yunits says:

I saw these used on Missouri Star Quilting site and felling in love. They seem very similar to paper piecing, but so much easier. I am ordering today.

11. Susan says:

I have been watching these videos as they are shown on The Fat Quarter Shop. I see you loose about an inch around the outside. If you printed these papers to save maybe an 1 1/2 ” on one side we could do something with it. I’m a scrap quilter at heart

12. Cindy Matzen says:

Love the idea – was disappointed that there wasn’t a “crock pot cooking recipe” that we put on then sew to our hearts content and in 6 -8 hrs dinner was ready

13. Ferhat says:

Any idea of suppliers in the UK that carry try these ?