Seasoned Pinwheels Quilt

Hello everyone! My name is Krystal Jakelwicz and I design monthly quilt patterns on my blog called Lets Quilt Something. (www.letsquiltsomething.blogspot.com) Today is my first ever Moda Bake Shop Recipe and I would like to share with you my Seasoned Pinwheels Quilt Pattern which I hope you all will enjoy! A little known fact about me is I LOVE pinwheels. I love finding new ways to incorporate the pinwheel block within my quilt patterns. Plus I love Jelly Rolls! Seasoned Pinwheels is perfect for just about every print. Today I have selected Cowgirl Country because as a fellow Texan I fell in LOVE.  Super cute fabric and I fell in love with the Cowgirl Country text fabric. Also as a added touch I quilted a “Rope” style edge to edge pattern in a wave format since the fabric features a few rope prints within the collection. I hope you enjoyed my Seasoned Pinwheels quilt pattern and tag me on Instagram your progress photos or finished quilts. Or use #letsquiltsomething

This quilt/project finishes at 60″ x 72″.

8cb62-title_ingredients

1  Jelly Roll®  {Cowgirl Country by Sara Khammash}
2  3/4 yards background fabric {Bella Solids Natural 990012 Moda #1}

4  yards backing fabric {Cowgirl Country Suede Blue Text Fabric 1130313}
1/2 yards binding fabric {Cowgirl Country Denim Blue 1125657}

96b91-title_instructions

1. With each 2 ½” Print Strips, you are going to open them at full length. Sub-cut within each strip;
  • 3 – 6 ½” x 2 ½” rectangles.
  • 3 – 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangles.
  • 3 – 2 ½” x 2 ½” squares.
  1. With background fabric you are going to start by cutting yardage into 2 ½” strips.
  2. With background 2 ½” strips you are going to sub-cut;
  • 240 – 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangles. (30 – Strips)
  • 120 – 2 ½” x 2 ½” squares. (7 1/2 – Strips)

Piecing A Block: (This quilt pattern was design to keep same prints in one block.)

1. With one background 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangle, place a 2 ½” print square on the right corner. Sew at a diagonal. Trim ¼” away from your sew line and press open. (Shown Below)

2. With your segment made in step one; you are going to add a background 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangle to the top of the block. Press Open. (Shown Below)

3. Continuing on with your block segment made in step two; you are going to add a print 4 ½” x 2 ½” rectangle to the left side. Press Open. (Shown Below)

4. Lastly with a print 6 ½” x 2 ½” rectangle, place a background 2 ½” square to the left corner. Sew at a Diagonal. Trim ¼” away from your sew line and press open. Add this piece to the top of your step three segment. (Shown Below)

5. Repeat steps 1 – 4 until you have made 120 blocks.

6. Before piecing your quilt top, take 4 different print blocks and rotate 90 degrees to form a larger block. (Shown Below)

Forming your Quilt Top:

1. Use a design wall to lay your blocks out accordingly.
  2. You’ll have 6 rows with 5 blocks in each row.
  3. Sew your blocks together to form rows.
  4. Lastly sew your rows together to complete quilt top.
  5. With your binding fabric cut 2 ½” x WOF strips and use your favorite binding technique to bind your quilt.

4b2da-title_yield

This quilt finishes at 60″ x 72″.

I hope you enjoyed Seasoned Pinwheels quilt pattern! Here are a couple close up photos for you to see the quilting work I did personally. I can’t wait to see what fabrics you’ll use for Seasoned Pinwheels. Tag me on Instagram your progress photos or finished quilts. Or use #letsquiltsomething  Happy Quilting!

Krystal Jakelwicz
{www.letsquiltsomething.com}
{www.letsquiltsomething.blogspot.com}

{www.instagram.com/letsquiltsomething}

{www.facebook.com/letsquiltsomething}

Krystal Jakelwicz

Krystal Jakelwicz

Pattern Designer and Long Arm Quilter at Lets Quilt Something
Hello! I am a Pattern Designer, Long Arm Quilter, and blogger for Lets Quilt Something. Every month I design new quilt patterns that specialize using Pre-Cuts. I've been featured throughout three magazine publishers and currently designing patterns for Craftsy! Follow my blog to see what I come up with next.
Krystal Jakelwicz

Latest posts by Krystal Jakelwicz (see all)

34 comments on “Seasoned Pinwheels Quilt

1. Diana says:

This is extremely cute! Love your fabric choice!

2. Bonnie Nyquist says:

I just love this design! I have a jelly roll I have been saving for something special,this is it! Thank you so much for just a wonderful design

3. Genny says:

I too am a Texan and enjoy Sara Khammash fabrics. Thank you Moda! I love your pattern and really think the rope quilting is just the right highlight. Please, a hint on what direction to press the strips as I make each block. I want to avoid thick seams when I join the four blocks for each pinwheel. Thanks!

• Great idea! I will keep that in mind on the next quilt pattern(s) I make. For this quilt, Step 1; I pressed my seams to the print side. Step 2; pressed my seams to the solid background rectangle. Step 3; pressed my seams to the print rectangle. Step 4; pressed my seams to the background triangle setting, then pressed it to the step 3 unit. Forming the larger block, I pressed in alternate directions when forming the blocks rows. Lastly pressed the block row seam to the bottom. When I layout my quilt blocks on a design wall I would just flip the block 180 degrees so the “middle block seams” nest together. I hope that helps you out! =)

• Genny says:

Oh, yes that does help! thank you so much for your time. I look forward to making this soon. I was already familiar with your designs from magazines and just spent time on your website looking at all the creative efforts and services. Amazing!

4. ArtsyOne says:

Love it! I’ve put it on my to-do list.

5. ANN M. says:

This is a lovely design and I can see it with scraps or a coordinated jelly roll. Thank-you.

6. cruisefan says:

Absolutely stunning!
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

7. Sara Medd says:

Love this. Thanks for sharing!

8. Peggy says:

Love love this❣️❣️❣️❣️Simple to understand and with an amazing design factor. Great job. It’s added to the top of the list. Born and raised in Texas but Mississippi is now home. Now, my son and family live there bc of a job transfer. So I get to go back often❣️❣️❣️

9. Peggy says:

Pinwheels are my favorite too❣️❣️❣️

10. 直销 says:

好几年没用过博客了,支持下!

11. Darlene says:

love this quilt, now just need a 25 hour day to get to it as quick as I would like too!!

12. This is fantastic, thank you!

13. Kristi says:

Thank you for sharing this original pattern with Moda readers. I have lots of scraps (what quilter doesn’t? and think this pattern would use up some of them. Now I’m off to visit your blog!

14. Lu says:

Thank you Krystal for such a neat pattern. I love stars in quilts and this one is fantastic.

15. 爷,收下我的膝盖!

16. adriana says:

beautiful quilt, clever block – brava !

17. Sue says:

I love this!!!!!!! I also love pinwheels and you have them all over that quilt! You did a beautiful job! Thank you so much. I have a jelly roll just waiting to be made up 🙂
    Sue

18. 没玩过博客,感觉还挺好玩!

19. Eileen Zuvich says:

This is my next project! Any reason I couldn’t use a solid jellyroll instead of yardage for the background?