Woodruff Quilt

Hello Moda Bakers, I’m Nicola Dodd from CakeStand Quilts, and it’s so lovely to be here again to share a new recipe with you.

My design was inspired – as they so often are – by an antique quilt I found on Pinterest, which combined simple nine-patch blocks with squares of gingham. I’m always fascinated by the way fabric placement can completely change a design and the neutral fabric placement in that vintage quilt reminded me of white blossom. I repeated the blossomy theme in my hand quilting and I’ve written a blog post to accompany this tutorial to pass on all my favourite tips!

I also wanted to use gingham in my quilt. Luckily, it features in lots of fresh colours in of one of Moda’s lovely new blender ranges, ‘Essentially Yours’. I chose a crisp silver grey to pair with Bonnie & Camille’s gorgeous new group, ‘The Good Life’. I chose to use two matching charm packs, but they really don’t have to match. Camille often mixes two different groups together in her quilts, which I find so inspiring!

As well as having lots of delicious retro prints, ‘The Good Life’ has a fun ticking stripe. Directional prints are always so striking, but they can be difficult to use successfully in a quilt. I really wanted to keep my stripes running in the same direction and this is how I did it…

This quilt finishes at 59.5″ x 76.5″

8cb62-title_ingredients

(2) Charm Packs  {‘The Good Life’ by Bonnie & Camille}
1** x yard neutral fabric {‘Bella Solid’ in Porcelain} Please read the note, below
2 x yards background fabric {‘Essentially Yours’ silver check}
3.75 x yards backing fabric {‘The God Life June in red}
0.5 x yard binding fabric {‘Bonnie & Camille Basics’ in red/pink bias stripe}

**A lovely Bakeshop reader has pointed out that if you are not planning to use any of the cream squares from your charm packs in the quilt, you will in fact need 1.25 yards of neutral fabric. Please accept my grovelling apologies if this has caused you any inconvenience. And thank you Terri!

96b91-title_instructions

Please read through the pattern before you begin, assuming a 1⁄4” seam allowance and a fabric width (WOF) of 42”. I would always recommend making a test block.

CUTTING:

1. From the neutral fabric, cut (8) 5” x WOF strips, then subcut into (64) 5” squares.

NOTE: I replaced a few of my 5” squares with the neutral prints from my charm pack to give my quilt a scrappy, vintage look.

2. From the background fabric, cut (8) 9” x WOF strips, then subcut (31) 9” squares.

3. From the binding fabric, cut (7) 2.5” x WOF strips.

PIECING THE BLOCKS:

4. Place a print 5” square and a neutral 5” square right sides together and sew along one side. Press towards the print. MAKE 64 units.

5. Choose two contrasting units and sew together to make a four-patch, as shown below, nesting your seams. Press towards the print you would like at the centre of your block (shown aqua), or open if preferred. MAKE 32 (your four-patches should measure 9.5” square).

6. Make a cut 2.5” away from one side of the four-patch, then re-join to the opposite side of the block, as shown below, pressing as directed (<).

7. Make another cut 2.5” away from the bottom of your block and re-join to the top, turning through 180° so that the seams ‘nest’. MAKE 32 (your blocks should measure 9” square).

NOTE: As the orientation of the squares never change, this is a great technique to use with directional prints!

ASSEMBLING THE QUILT:

8. Lay out the quilt in rows, alternating the pieced blocks with 9” background squares, as shown below.

9. Assemble the quilt top, a row at a time, pressing the seams towards the background blocks, so that the seams ‘nest’ nicely when you join the rows together.

10. Cut your backing into two WOF x 67.5” pieces, trim off the selvages and join together using a 1⁄2” seam, pressed open, then trim to 67.5” x 84”.

11. Sandwich the batting between the backing and the quilt top, baste, then machine or hand quilt.

I decided to hand quilt mine and you can find my favourite tips and ideas listed under Tutorials on my blog at cakestandquilts.com including how I created my blossom motif (enormous hint in the photo, below!)

12. Join your binding strips to make one, long strip and press it in half, wrong sides together, along its length. Trim away excess batting and background – taking the opportunity to ensure your corners are square – and bind the raw edge using your preferred method.

4b2da-title_yield

The ‘Woodruff’ quilt finishes at 59.5″ x 76.5″.

I really hope you’ll give hand quilting a try on your next project. I find it so relaxing. I’m showcasing a few of my favourite hand quilted projects at the UK’s Festival of Quilts next month and I’ll be taking all my Moda Bakeshop quilts with me!! Do come and say hello if you’re visiting. Or catch up with my Festival photos on Instagram!

Nicola Dodd
{cakestandquilts.com}

Nicola Dodd

Nicola Dodd

Designer at CakeStand Quilts
I'm a garden designer, dog tickler & quilt maker and I live in the glorious county of Shropshire in the UK with my husband, two teenage sons & two loopy lurchers. You'll often find me messing about on Instagram when I should be working: come and catch me out @nicolajdodd
Nicola Dodd

Latest posts by Nicola Dodd (see all)

81 comments on “Woodruff Quilt

1. Kathy says:

Very pretty. My grandmother and other family quilters only did total hand quilting, so I appreciate those I see. My question is how was the name “Woodruff” given to the quilt? Happens to be my maiden name and not very common.

• Nicola Dodd says:

Thank you for your lovely comment, Kathy, I find hand quilting really relaxing xx

• nicola270 says:

Woodruff is a little woodland plant with tiny white flowers. I wonder if there’s a connection to your name, Kathy? So fascinating! xx

• Trina contreras says:

My maiden name is Woodruff too. Did I get an answer?a

• nicola270 says:

Sorry, Trina, I don’t see your question in the comments, perhaps you’d like to leave it again xx

• Chris says:

Woodruff is a family name for me too. We’re from Iowa originally. The family was Quaker. I will definitely make this quilt for my Mom who is a Woodruff cousin!

• Nicola Dodd says:

I’ve been inspired to do a little research by the Woodruffs who’ve commented, Chris, and the name does seem to be connected to the little plant that inspired my quilt 🙂 xx

2. Karin Karin says:

genius technique, love it!

3. Cocoa Quilts says:

I love this pattern with the gingham. Thanks for sharing.

4. Rosemaryflower says:

Oh this quilt is so cute!! and it does look easy. I love easy patterns!!! and this one looks snazzy too.
    Thank you also for the quilting tips. I do have always quilting anxiety. It is a cross I must bear until one day I won’t Thank you for this perfect idea.
    You are so generous to share.

5. That quilt is adorable! I absolutely HAVE to make it 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

6. Betty says:

Your quilt is beautiful, and any pattern that uses charm squares is great. Hand quilting is something I’ve tried, but can’t get comfortable with so I’ll stay with machine quilting. I do sew on all of my bindings by hand and add embroidery frequently so I agree that working with needle and thread is very relaxing. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent.

• Nicola Dodd says:

I think I’m the opposite way around, Betty! I really admire machine quilters but its not something I’ve had great success with myself. Thank you, for your lovely comment xx

7. Lesley Gilbert says:

Love your quilt – love your tutorial – it’s going on my ‘to do’ list 🙂

8. Mary A Perkins says:

Love the old fashioned look!. I usually make queen size.

• Nicola Dodd says:

I’m always inspired by antique quilts, Mary, whether from the 30s or the 1830s. You could easily make a larger version of this quilt, if you need a revised ingredients list, just let me know! xx

• Debbie says:

I really love this quilt. I would like to make a king size. What ingredients would I need. Thanks.

• Nicola Dodd says:

Hi Debbie, a quilt that’s (13) blocks square would be a King sized 110.5″ square. There aren’t quite enough squares in (4) Charm Packs to give the (170) print 5″ squares required, so you will need (5) Charm Packs {or you could improvise and use (4) and cut the extra squares from a Fat Quarter}.

From 3.25 yards of neutral fabric you will need to cut (170) neutral 5″ squares & from 5.25 yards of gingham you will cut (84) 9″ squares. You will also need a 118.5″ square of batting, 1 yard of fabric for your binding {cut into (11) 2.5″ strips} and 10 yards of backing fabric {although I’d be tempted to use an extra wide fabric or a sheet!}. Follow the instructions to make (85) pieced squares and alternate them with the (84) gingham squares to assemble your quilt.

Hope that all makes sense, happy sewing! xx

9. Missy Dizick says:

What an UGLY quilt.

• The only ugly thing is your unkind comnent. Quilts are personal with the colors and style based on what the creator likes. If you can’t say something nice (or in this case, constructive) then you should be grown up enough to not say anything. I’m keeping this pattern because I like it. I may change the colors but it’s still a very nice quilt.

• Nicola Dodd says:

Thank you for your kindness, Mary Ann. I love seeing how a pattern is interpreted by different makers – the colours the choose and the different styles of fabric – it’s what makes quilting so fascinating! xx

• Nicola Dodd says:

Sorry it’s not your cup of tea! The quilting world would be a very dull place if we all like the same thing, wouldn’t it? xx

• Barbara Westbrook says:

Wow!!!!! Let’s see yours. It is people like you that makes people like us want to just knock your teeth in. The colors are not set in stone … change them up.
      Go away….

10. Gaila says:

I love, love, love this antique inspired quilt! I also find hand piecing and hand quilting to be relaxing. Yes it takes longer but so what? Thank you for sharing.

11. ANN M. says:

You have made a lovely quilt and I have plenty of charm packs to use. Thank-you.

12. Theodora Simons says:

A lovely quilt. I have plenty of charm packs waiting, so …. And so nice to see some hand-quilting. I’m like you, find it very relaxing. Thank you for this pattern and the nifty technique.

• nicola270 says:

Thank you so much, Theodora! I think we all have more Charm packs than we realise 😉 xx

13. Brandy says:

What a cool method using the four patches, I am going to give this a try!

• nicola270 says:

Thank you, Brandy 🙂 I found it really great for keeping everything in order when my sewing was interrupted (we all know how that goes…!) xx

14. Joan says:

Thanks for the great instructions,I love your voice of colours & tips.

15. Taylor says:

I’m fairly new to quilting, how would I make a queen size version of this pattern? I think it’s just lovely.

• nicola270 says:

Hi Taylor, I think a quilt that’s 11 blocks square would make a good queen size {93.5″ x 93.5″}.
      You will need (3) Charm packs or (121) print 5″ squares; from 2.25 yards of neutral fabric you will need to cut (121) neutral 5″ squares; from 3.75 yards of gingham you will cut (60) 9″ squares; plus you will need a 101.5″ square of batting, 0.75 of a yard of fabric for your binding {cut into (10) 2.5″ strips} and 8.5 yards of backing fabric {although I’d be tempted to use an extra wide fabric or a sheet!}.
      Follow the instructions to make (61) pieced squares and alternate them with the 60 gingham squares to assemble your quilt. Happy sewing! xx

• britiney says:

Thanks for this info, Nicola! Can you tell me, on your original quilt, how many of the charm squares did you use? All of them? You mentioned you used some of the low volume ones to replace the neutral fabric. I’m cutting my squares from yardage and so I was wondering how many I really need. Thanks a million! Love love love this quilt!

• nicola270 says:

Hi Britney! From recollection I used the little heart dot, which came in a few colours, and the little cherry print, so I think there were 5 blocks in all. Hope that helps xx

16. Martha says:

I love this quilt – will put it on my TO DO list …. thank you

• nicola270 says:

Thanks, Martha, I love those kinds of ‘to do’ lists! Planning new quilts is the best!! xx

17. Art Critic says:

I really like the way you’ve made the sashing strips! Will use this method from now on. Very nice quilt, great color combo. Thanks so much for sharing.

• nicola270 says:

Thank you! It was something I stumbled upon by accident when trying to make another block. My head is spinning with all the possibilities… xx

18. Mae says:

I love everything about this quilt. The colors are my style. Love the red on the back.

• nicola270 says:

Thank you, Mae! I had such fun mixing fabrics on this quilt and I’m totally in love with those ‘Essentially Yours’ blenders xx

19. Jeanne says:

This is so beautiful! I love the gray gingham.

20. Rhonda says:

Wow! I ❤️ this quilt and I love the easy method you used. I’d like to use a lot of my scraps up, and not buy charm packs. I have many, many, many scraps already cut into 6 1/2″ squares. I love to use them instead of re-cutting. Any idea if that would work? Thanks!

• Nicola Dodd says:

Thank you, Rhonda! And yes, your scrap squares would look amazing!! You will need to tweak the measurements a bit: make the four patches up with the 6.5″ squares (they should measure 12.5″ square); cut 3.25″ off the side…rejoin to the other side; then cut 3.25″ from the top…rejoin to the bottom (finished block should measure 12″ square). The gingham squares will need to be cut at 12″ square (you will need 3.75 yds) and your finished quilt will be 80.5″ x 103.5″. Plus you will need 88.5″ x 111.5″ piece of cotton batting, 0.75 of a yard of binding fabric and 7.5 yards of backing (joining three cuts of 88.5″ would be most economic). Hope that helps xx

• Rhonda says:

That’s awesome! Thanks for doing the math! I love scrappy quilts and this seems like it would be great for that!

21. Jackie says:

It could be me, cuz I am no math whiz, but I jumped right on this with a pile of 5″ squares I had on hand. It seems to me the finished block size is 8.5″ rather than 9″. Is that possible?

• nicola270 says:

Yes, you’re absolutely right, Jackie, the finished size when they’re sewn into the quilt is 8.5″, but I thought it would be helpful to give block sizes as we went along, as we’re changing the size of the block xx

• Jackie says:

I will really have to check my seam allowances as mine turned out 8.5 which means I had to cut my solid blocks 8.5. But I caught it eRly enuf that all ended well! It as a delightful and easy pattern to work with, thank you so much!

22. I so stumbled across this and it really makes me believe I could do it! I am a very experienced seamstress and crocheter, but quilting and knitting leave me cold! Though I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look of a patchwork quilt (been known to go through curb side trash for a few!) I have always wanted to make one but it seems so daunting. I really might just give this the old school girl try. Thank you so much for your wonderful post.

• Nicola Dodd says:

Do you know, Donna, that’s the exact reason I started quilting!! I never found that perfect quilt in a vintage shop and I realised I was going to have to buckle down and make my own! And now I can’t stop… xx

23. Karen Lambert says:

Your quilt is beautiful, You are a very kind and generous person for sharing.

• nicola270 says:

Thank you so much, Karen! I learnt to quilt from other’s tutorials, so I’m very happy to get to return the favour xx

24. Evie says:

Nicola, Thanks you for sharing, I am going to love making this quilt. I also want to commend you for answering each and every comment in the manner in which you did. You are surely as lovely a person as is your quilt. Thanks again

25. Nancy Pat says:

This is the first time I’ve been moved enough to write. Your technique looks like so much fun, I have to try it. Your comments show you to be as lovely as your quilt.

• Nicola Dodd says:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, Nancy! I’ve chatted to so many lovely people through quilting blogs, so I hope you’re encouraged to comment again 🙂 xx

26. Carol Raines says:

Also the first time I’ve commented. Was looking for a quick and easy lap quilt as a ‘thank you’ present. Love this pattern and will do 5 x 7 blocks from my stash. Love your grey gingham . Will be at Festival of Quilts this week -will look out for you. Cheers Carol

• nicola270 says:

There’ll be no stopping you now, Carol 😉 and it would be fab to see you at Festival of Quilts. I’ll be on stand C7 (dangerously close to the Aurifil stand!!) xx

27. Juls says:

I love, love, love the look of a well-loved, time worn quilt. Bonus: My mom is a Woodruff (Michigan). This one goes in my project pile since I have plenty of fat quarters to make it scrappy. Thanks for designing this :). Juls in FL

• nicola270 says:

I’m sure another Woodruff has commented on this post too, Juls! Thanks for your lovely comment xx

28. Patricia Hayden says:

I’m confused on how many of the “put together blocks” I’m supposed to have. I know on the 9″ blocks I’m to cut 31. Can you tell me how many of the others I’m supposed to have? Thank you

29. Lynda says:

I want to make this quilt so bad, I can see it.. I want to make it a Christmas quilt. BUT, I am so scared!!!!!! I have never made one before.. I have lots of fat quarters, yards of cloth, thread, cutter, rulers of all kind, lots of quilting magazines that I read a lot. I just don’t know how to start. I keep telling myself if I mess up it’s o k, I can always redo it… Thank you for you instructions and pattern.. I am going to try to make it…..yeah

• nicola270 says:

Oh, you can do it, Lynda!! I am an internet-taught Quilter, so I can recommend YouTube, because watching someone do something is really helpful. I’ve also taken a few Craftsy classes for the same reason, and I’m pretty sure some of the beginner classes are free, so take a look. My other favourite tip is to make a test block before you start cutting into your Christmas quilt fabric. But go for it! I’ll be cheering you on!! xx

30. Marion Lisko says:

I love this quilt but got SOOOOO frustrated by the wrong measurements. The finished block is 8.5 – NOT 9.5, and this my 9″ squares all had to be recut. Also, the beinning instructions do NOT make it clear that the neutral should be paired with a print as WELL as the one you want it the middle.
    “Choose two contrasting units and sew together to make a four-patch, as shown below, ”
    this implies that youwould take two prints and put them together which totally screws up the picture in the diagram.
    Next please be a little clearer.

• Nicola Dodd says:

Hello, Marion. Firstly, I’m so sorry you found the instructions frustrating. Your pieced blocks really should have measured 9″ square, so maybe your seam allowance was a little generous. I always try my best to make instructions as clear as possible, so I appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment xx

• Theresa says:

I’m shocked by your comments. Not only are the directions clear and easy to follow but they are also Free! Maybe you should have considered that you could have made an error instead of assuming the designer did. If you need help, just ask. She’s very quick to respond.

• Theresa says:

Thank you Nicola for this beautiful quilt. Cutting the 4 patches is genius! Definitely on my to do list!

• nicola270 says:

Thank you, Theresa, it’s a technique I developed for a more complex block, but then I realised how fun it would be with four patches! Happy sewing xx

31. Vicki says:

Nicola, I’m in LOVE❤️❤️❤️ This quilt is everything I love, fabric, gingham, using charms, and that great Vintage feel. Oh and of course the Lovely hand quilting

32. […] in check and going the same way for your blocks. Nicola Dodd shared her quilt recently on the Moda Bake Shop and I knew I needed to share it with you.  Nicola shares some really great tips that you should […]