WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + Applesauce Cross

A note about ratings for this quilt-along: Overall, the quilt is rated as Moderate, but many of the blocks fall into the Easy category. You will see the ratings vary between Easy and Moderate from week to week. For more information about what these ratings mean, click on the graphic above.

This is part 2 of a 13 part quilt-along series.  Find the rest of the posts in this series by clicking on the links at the end of this post.

Welcome to Week 2 in Oda May’s School of Sewing! We are jumping right in this week with two different blocks.

Some notes:

• Use a scant 1/4″ seam.
  • Depending on your cutting method, you may have extras each week of common sizes used throughout the quilt. I suggest you label a couple of plastic bags for “2 1/2″ squares” and “2⅞” squares” so you can make use of the extras another week.

{from Prairie Rose Garden Quilt by Sarah Zimmerman}

From prints, cut (24) 2⅞” squares

From background fabric, cut:
Cut (24) 2⅞” squares from background fabric
Cut (8) 2½” squares
Cut (8) 2½” x 4½” rectangles

Make Half-Square Triangles (HSTs)

1. Pair (1) 2⅞” print square with (1) 2⅞” background square.
2. Draw a line along the diagonal of the wrong side of one square.
3. Sew 1/4″ away from each side of the drawn line.
4. Cut apart at the line. Press towards the darker fabric and trim to 2½” square.

Repeat to make 48 HST units.

Assemble block in rows as shown below, taking care with directional fabric and/or color placement as applicable to your chosen fabrics.

Make (2) 12½” unfinished Prairie Rose Garden blocks.

{from Applesauce Quilt by Lauren Terry}

NOTE: The quilt features 64 Applesauce Cross blocks spaced out over the quilt-along. You can either make them all at once or make a few at a time.

From accent fabric, cut:
Cut (8) 1½” x 11½” strips

From background fabric, cut:
Cut (8) 6½” squares

Make Applesauce Cross Blocks

1. Cut 6½” square in two along the diagonal.
2. Mark the center of each triangle and accent fabric strip.  Line up marks on strip and one triangle and pin. Sew and press.
3. Align marks on opposite edge of strip and remaining triangle. Pin, sew, and press.
4. Press and trim to 6½” square.

Make (8) 6½” unfinished Applesauce Cross blocks.

WEEK 1: Intro to QAL + Fabric Requirements
WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + 8 Applesauce Cross blocks {this post}

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

22 comments on “WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + Applesauce Cross

1. Thanks for sharing this valuable information to our vision. You have posted a trust worthy blog keep sharing.

2. vickieriches says:

Thanks for sharing I love doing quilt alongs. Love the blocks

3. Sue Huber says:

Is it possible to use another color besides yellow in your online example? Very difficult to see. Thanks for your consideration.

4. ANN M. says:

Thank-you for the info and this QAL.

5. Mary Lee Berberich says:

Thank you! I have added my email to get updates on the blocks.

6. Pat Dennis says:

Can barely see the print lines and I know its not my printer. I have all new cartridges.

7. lori says:

Thank you for the free patterns and all your work & creativity! Excited to start this!

8. Sara says:

Should we use the same print fabric for the Prarie Rose Garden blocks or one print for each of the 2 blocks or mix a bunch of prints?

9. Brett says:

Why do you cut (8) 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 rectangles? I only count 4 in the block.

10. Brett says:

Now I understand….cutting for two blocks. Yellow is soooo hard to see!

11. Jeanne Beauvais says:

I agree the yellow doesn’t print well and the grids need to show a little more, it’s very hard to see the placement.

12. Margaret Chlarson says:

I did not receive the email this week even though I signed up. Please check for me. I have to say also that the color did not print well enough to see it even with new cartridges in my printer.

13. Gwen Malinowski says:

I’m still procrastinating on background fabric. If I don’t get moving, I’ll be a week behind!

14. Christine says:

Could you tell me how wide the border for the quilt will be? I would like to cut the border pieces from the length of my fabric before I start cutting it for the blocks. Looking forward to seeing this one along with everyone, thanks for making it a available 🙂

15. […] 1: Intro to QAL + Fabric Requirements WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + 8 Applesauce Cross blocks WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross blocks {this […]

16. […] 1: Intro to QAL + Fabric Requirements WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + 8 Applesauce Cross blocks WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross blocks WEEK 4: Churn Dash blocks {this […]

17. Trudy Deon says:

Where would I find week one of prarie rose garden

18. […] 1: Intro to QAL + Fabric Reqs WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + 8 Applesauce Cross WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross WEEK 4: Churn Dash WEEK 5: Figgy Pudding + 6 Applesauce […]

19. Kate says:

Where is week one please

20. […] 1: Intro to QAL + Fabric Reqs WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + 8 Applesauce Cross WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross WEEK 4: Churn Dash WEEK 5: Figgy Pudding + 6 Applesauce […]