WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross

A note about ratings for this quilt-along: Overall, the quilt is rated as Moderate, but many of the blocks fall into the Easy category. You will see the ratings vary between Easy and Moderate from week to week. For more information about what these ratings mean, click on the graphic above.

This is part 3 of a 13 part quilt-along series. Find the rest of the posts in this series by clicking on the links at the end of this post.

Welcome to Week 3 in Oda May’s School of Sewing! This week we are making four new blocks and a few of the Applesauce Cross blocks.

Some notes:

• Use a scant ¼” seam.
  • Depending on your cutting method, you may have extras each week of common sizes used throughout the quilt. I suggest you label a couple of plastic bags for “2 1/2″ squares” and “2⅞” squares” so you can make use of the extras another week.

{from Tropical Punch Quilt by Corinne Sovey}

From each of 4 Layer Cake squares, cut:
(2) 2½” squares
(2) 2½” x 4½” strips
(2) 2½” x 6½” strips

From background fabric, cut:
(5) 2½” squares
(4) 2½” x 4½” strips

Assemble block in rows as shown and press toward the darker fabric. Join rows to complete the block. Press.

Make (4) 10½” unfinished Tropical Punch blocks.

{from Applesauce Quilt by Lauren Terry}

NOTE: The quilt features 64 Applesauce Cross blocks spaced out over the quilt-along. You can either make them all at once or make a few at a time.

From accent fabric, cut:
Cut (6) 1½” x 11½” strips

From background fabric, cut:
Cut (6) 6½” squares

Make Applesauce Cross Blocks

1. Cut 6½” square in two along the diagonal.
2. Mark the center of each triangle and accent fabric strip. Line up marks on strip and one triangle and pin. Sew and press.
3. Align marks on opposite edge of strip and remaining triangle. Pin, sew, and press.
4. Press and trim to 6½” square.

Make (6) 6½” unfinished Applesauce Cross blocks.

WEEK 1: Intro to QAL + Fabric Requirements
WEEK 2: Prairie Rose Garden + 8 Applesauce Cross blocks
WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross blocks {this post}

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

15 comments on “WEEK 3: Tropical Punch + 6 Applesauce Cross

1. Sue Huber says:

Again, the contrast between the white and the color is not strong enough. It’s difficult to see online as well as in the print version.

• Jeanne Beauvais says:

Sue, I agree with you. The work around is to go to the original quilt. Where the block was first seen and use those directions. Cut the pieces from this message and then piece them from the directions in the original block. The link is above.

• Denise Levenick says:

Agree. Please improve the contrast in example images.

2. Pam says:

To make four Tropical Punch blocks you need to cut (20) 2 1/2″ squares from background and
    (16) 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ strips from background.

3. Brett says:

I am about ready to give up on this. Instructions are lacking and examples are too pale. Lines need some contrast.

4. cruisefan says:

I agree with Sue and Brett: that tutorial is not nice to follow – to say it in friendly words.
    The colors are horrible and the instructions not clear.

Jeanne – thank you for your answer to us all ….but why not make it good right from the beginning?
    Giving the advice “go back to other tutorial” is somewhat a confession of failure.

I know I am not alone with my comment – it is just fact that the others don’t dare to write.

• Teresa says:

No, you’re not alone. This quilt a long is lacking in direction and sad to say, very poorly executed.

• Brenda says:

I am not having any trouble at all. By the way, your words are not “friendly”. No one is making you do this.

5. Beth says:

Would be nice to have a cut list for all 4 blocks in total as Pam did in her comment above.

6. Mary Hargis says:

I agree the color scheme choices could be improved, but the instructions are for EACH block so we need to multiply the number needed to make EACH block by the number of the TOTAL blocks it makes. I’m a fairly new quilter and I haven’t had any trouble with the instructions but I would like to see the cut out pieces to be outlined so it is easier to understand.

7. Brenda says:

I for one am enjoying this wonderful quilt along. Some things can be figured out on your own. Thank you for sharing this pattern.

8. wings io says:

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that context. I guess it makes some sense, thanks for the history lesson!

9. Suzy R. says:

Very much enjoying this tutorial! I love quilt alongs as it breaks the quilt down into many tiny manageable projects and makes it not so daunting. Thank you for sharing your talents and this pattern with us!

10. Brenda says:

I am loving the tropical punch block. No seam matching!

11. Ev says:

Excited about this pattern, keeps you guessing , but easy to get back on track.
    Good for a bit of entertainment on the pattern,