On Point Baby Quilt

This idea of this on-point assembly came to my mind one night when I was trying to sleep – and honestly the possibilities are endless with this method!  Most methods for on-point quilts require wasting some fabric and piecing diagonal rows of different lengths.  This is a no-waste method and is very beginner quilter friendly!  It literally took me less than 2 hours to assemble the quilt top from unwrapping the fabric to ironing the last seam, and I was taking pictures along the way.

This quilt finishes at 38″ x 38″.

2 Charm Packs {Wild and Free, Abi Hall}
1 1/8 yards backing fabric
1/3 yard binding fabric

You will need a total of 72 charm squares for this project.  I chose to remove the mainly pink prints from the charm packs since this is going to be for a baby boy, keeping 35 from each pack.  These charm packs had 7 pink prints in each pack, so I had to sneak two 5” squares from the binding yardage.  So, you might want to add a little extra for the binding fabric just in case if you want to leave out certain colorways.

You will start by assembling 2 large ‘blocks’ with 36 squares in a 6×6 layout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, take each of your large pieced blocks and cut them in half diagonally, creating a total of 4  pieced triangles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arrange those 4 triangles with the corners toward the center

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assemble the large patchwork triangles into your on-point quilt top!  Wasn’t that easy?!  And FUN!  I want to make more!

This quilt finishes at 38″ x 38″.

This method will work for any size square quilt, any size fabric squares, just as long as your two large ‘blocks’ are square.  The way to determine what size quilt top they will make is to measure the diagonal on your initial blocks – that will be the size of the sides your quilt top when you are done.  I can’t wait to do this method for a full size quilt with jelly rolls!

Karin Vail
{cascadequilts.com}

Karin Vail

Karin Vail

I have been quilting since 1989 but the last few years it has become an obsession.I blog at Cascade Quilts and Moda pre-cuts are my favorite fabrics to use for quilting.I love modern fabrics, but lean toward more traditional patterns for the most part.I live in NW Washington state and have two grown sons.I have been married to my best friend since 1991.I work from home sewing custom hats, but when business is slow, I quilt!
Karin Vail

Latest posts by Karin Vail (see all)

33 comments on “On Point Baby Quilt

1. Lisa Calle says:

Karin, you’re a genius! This has me looking at my massive charm pack collection with fresh eyes.

2. Sara Byman says:

I LOVE this! I just taught the harder way to do this with 5 squares across and 8 down and you make 2 cuts and reassemble the quilt into ‘on point’, but I like this better. My quilt group will love this! Thanks!

3. Like Sara, I knew a slighter harder way to do this, but your method is fantastically simple!! I love that any size square block will work. Brilliant!

4. Sharon says:

This is an incredibly good idea! I wonder if this would work with rectangular blocks also, as I don’t always want a square quilt. This would be great for baby quilts and throws though, anyways.

5. Irena Mangone says:

Thank you. What a great idea. I have lots of charm packs. Mix and match sounds lke fun

6. Marg Sutherland says:

This looks like a good idea but it puts all the bias cut edges on the outside and you may have a problem with stretching when you put on any borders or binding. ( I learned this the hard way on one of my first quilts). It would help if you starch or stay stitch before cutting.

7. Maureen Rogers says:

Adorable! The possibilities are endless. Thank you for sharing.

8. Angela J Short says:

Very cool Quilt! I love it and the cute fabrics! Awesome!!

9. Cathy Luff says:

That is brilliant! Thank you!

10. kim fryer says:

Genius x thank you

11. Judy Y says:

Someone expressed concern about edges being on bias. You can reinforce the edges with a narrow width border cut, not on WOF, but lengthwise. This will provide edge stability.

12. Gillian says:

What a totally brilliant and simple idea, love it!

13. cruisefan says:

Clever!!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

14. Maggie Drafts says:

Weeeeeel, I reckon that is the EASIEST on point quilt EVER!!!!!!! Thanks for being so clever, and willing to share it with those of us who would never have figgered that out on “my” own!!!!! I have plenty of 5″ squares just waiting for this pattern!!!!!

15. Wendy Dillon says:

16. Brenda Aiken says:

Loved this idea! So much I made one tonight/today. . It was fun seeing it come together. I did put borders on it. Thank you for your idea ❤️

17. Camilla says:

Clever love it.

18. Brilliant! I’m making one of these next. Love the idea!

19. Preeti says:

This is brilliant. I am so going to try this.

20. Robin says:

Sorry if you lost any sleep coming up with this one Karin but what a great idea! Thanks!

• Karin Vail Karin Vail says:

I didn’t lose any more sleep over it than normal, haha. I always have SOMETHING going through my head when trying to get to sleep. It might as well be something enjoyable like quilting!

21. Jackson Watkins says:

The “timing” of this genius pattern, technique, has me in the twilight zone at this moment. Let me explain. First of all, I have never made a quilt on point, but a few weeks ago my Mother surprised me with 6 quilt tops that my Grandmother had hand pieced back in the 1950s. My favorite, which I am going finish by hand quilting it, because that was my grandmother’s intent, was “on point”! So, Thank You so much for giving me this great gift when I decide to piece my own quilt top.

We love to hear from you...