Countdown to Christmas: Arkansas Snowflake

Does it ever snow in Arkansas? There has to be a story about how this block got its name—I would love to hear it! This block is also called Periwinkle, another good name for a holiday block. Constructed entirely using triangles, this elegant block is perfect for a novice quilter looking for a bit of a challenge.

My block is made in a traditional Christmas palette of reds and greens. I can see the block working well in yellows for a twinkling star effect or blues for more of a snowflake look.

This quilt block finishes at 6″ x 6″.

Two 5″ squares of Farmhouse Reds by Minick and Simpson

Two 5″ squares of Evelyn’s Homestead by Betsy Chutchian

One fat quarter of Bella white 9900-98 for background

This block can be made either by using templates or by paper piecing. The PDF at the end of the pattern provides printouts for both techniques. Choose whichever method you are more comfortable with.

If using templates, cut two red and two green center shapes. For the background, fold a strip of background fabric in half and cut four background shapes using the template so that you have eight total background shapes, half a mirror image of the other half.

If paper piecing, make four copies of the pattern on your preferred foundation material. Make two sections with a red center and two sections with a green center.

For both techniques, once you have four triangles completed, sew the sections together in pairs, alternating red and green centers. Sew the pairs together.

This quilt block finishes at 6″ x 6″.

I hope you’re enjoying this countdown to Christmas! Please share any blocks you make with me on Instagram (@christine.weld). I love seeing your finished work!

Christine Weld
The Quarter Inch

Christine Weld

I am a blogger at thequarterinch.blogspot.com with a passion for writing quilt patterns. I particularly enjoy designing quilts with modern fabrics and novelty fabrics.

Latest posts by Christine Weld (see all)

19 comments on “Countdown to Christmas: Arkansas Snowflake

1. Joy Gross says:

I cant wait to try this block, Thank you

2. mauricette says:

Cette étoile est très belle et simple, je vais vite la faire.
    Merci et bonne journée

3. Gretchen says:

Thanks for including a paper pieced pattern. That is the method I’ll use.

4. Karen Goad says:

it is a nice block – I live in Arkansas but I have never heard of that name for this block – I have seen it called Periwinkle. And yes it snows in Arkansas now and then! not often and usually not more than a couple inches but almost every winter we will get anywhere from 1-6 snowfalls of a dusty all the way up to a whopping 6+ inches

5. JeanneMc1 says:

I’ve always loved this block, and it looks like a great way to try my hand at paper piecing; thanks!!

6. Brenda Wall says:

I was born in St. Louis, MO but have lived in Arkansas my whole life. Yes it snows – sometimes – you never know. LOL!!!

7. Linda says:

I was in northwest Arkansas for Christmas in 1963, and there was a LOT of snow! Overwhelming for a girl from San Diego. 😎

8. Missouri Star Quilt Company has an online tutorial for this Periwinkle block. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubaCTtzKfR0 They also sell papers cut to size and templates for the small or large versions.

• Bonnie Perry says:

i am using my MSQC template and papers ….I have had them for quite some time and this is the perfect project for them

9. Here is an additional free online tutorial on getting good points on your Periwinkle block. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH15FtumSs4

10. Julierose says:

This is a lovely pattern–love that it can be paper pieced as i am truly “angle-challenged” lol hugs, Julierose

11. Angie Wenzel says:

I do not see a link for the PDF. Am I missing something?

12. CraftyQuilterV says:

As a confident beginner quilting, thanks for a cute little star to make and including the templates and the easy instructions, this will be my very first star”..so excited. Hope the Block is as on-point like yours!

13. Cathy Smith says:

Am I the only one that had the paper pieced version come out at 6″ instead of 6-1/2″? My inch guide on the paper was fine. Anyone?

• Barbara Moore says:

Mine came out 6-1/2 and I’m wondering if you remembered to add the 1/4″ seam allowances at the long edge of the triangle?

• Hmmm….sorry you’re having difficulties! Depending on the foundation material used, you might have a bit of shrinkage in your foundation. You can also try using a very scant seam when connecting the triangles.

I like to wait to remove the foundations until I’ve connected all my pieces, which allows me to double check the measurements before trimming the block. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

14. Suzie Johnson says:

i used both the template method and paper-piecing and my blocks did not come out to 6.5″ — almost 1/8″ shy — but it’s a really cute block

We love to hear from you...