All Squares Quilt

Hello! My name is Jessica and I am so excited to be sharing this quilt with you at the Moda Bake Shop.  You can follow me on my adventures of quilting and crafting on Instagram @skeinandhook and also on my blog at skeinandhook.blogspot.com.

I had such a fun time designing this layer cake pattern.  I designed this quilt pattern for Farmhouse Reds by Minick and Simpson.  I love how this collection is all reds and creams.  I thought it would be so beautiful to show off the creams in the larger center squares and frame them out with the reds.  This quilt top uses 2 Layer Cakes and is a breeze to make!  You can also use 1 Layer Cake for the mini squares and a 1.75 yards of a background fabric to make the larger, middle squares.

This quilt finishes at 60″ x 60″.

2 Layer Cakes®  {Farmhouse Reds by Minick and Simpson}
4 yards backing fabric {SKU 14858 13}
1/2 yard binding fabric {SKU 14853 11}

Open the Layer Cakes and separate into 2 piles: reds and whites/creams.  You’ll need 32 red squares and 25 white/cream squares.

Cut each of the RED squares into:

• (4) 2.5″ strips, subcut to (16) 2.5″ squares

For each of the WHITE squares:

• Cut down the 10″ square so that you are left with an 8.5″ square.  Set aside the white squares.

You are going to start to sew your red squares together.  You will need (50) 4 square strips and (50) 6 square strips.  Here is how I did it:

I separated each red print into a its own pile.

Then, I chose 2 squares and sewed them together.  I chain pieced all of the squares like this (into 2 squares together).

After that I took, two of the chain pieced units and sewed them together to make a strip of 4.  I did this until I had (100) 4 square strips.  Then I took the remaining 2 piece units and sewed them onto a 4 piece unit to make a 6 piece unit.

I didn’t get too concerned about placement of each patterned red square.  I wanted the patterns to be random.  When I was making 2 piece units, I didn’t grab 2 of the same patterned red square.  But, if when making 4 piece units, two of the same patterned red squares were next to each other, I let that be.

Next I pressed all of the strips.  Nesting seams is a little difficult here because you are so many squares that are meeting each other from different directions.  I pressed all the seams of my four piece strips to one direction (either left or right is fine) and then on my 6 piece units, I pressed all the seams to one direction except an end seam which I pressed the opposite way.

When making the squares, this will allow you to nest the vertical row with the horizontal row.  However, you can also press the seams open to reduce bulk, if you’d like.

To begin block assembly, sew (2) 4 piece units on opposite side of a white square.  Press the seams to the red squares.

Next sew (2) 6 piece units on the remaining 2 sides.  Press the seams to the red squares.  Repeat this until you have 25 blocks.

Assemble your quilt top by making (5) rows of (5) squares each.  Then sew the (5) rows together into your finished top.

I had mine quilted with feathers.

This quilt finishes at 60″ x 60″.

Thank you for following along with my All Squares quilt pattern!  I hope have enjoyed this pattern!  Tag me on instagram @skeinandhook if you make one. I’d love to see your version!

Jessica Dayon
{Skein and Hook}

Jessica Dayon

Jessica Dayon

Designer and Blogger at Skein and Hook
Jessica lives in Pennsylvania with her wonderful husband and four young children.Her love of making started with crochet and has grown to include quilting, embroidery, felt crafting, and just about any other craft she gets her hands on.
Jessica Dayon

Latest posts by Jessica Dayon (see all)

28 comments on “All Squares Quilt

1. Love your quilt, Jessica! What a great way to showcase those large Layer Cake squares! 🙂

2. Guida says:

Thank you great quilt for showing off those fabrics we dont want to cut.

3. Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

Love this quilt. At first glance is looked a bit finicky with all the little squares. I am not a person who makes sashing look good. But you made it come together so easily! I love to have patterns that can show off larger prints so this one is printed and in my bag of tricks! Thank you!

• I’m so glad you like it! It really is easy to make and it comes together so fast! If you make one, I’d love to see it! You can tag me on Instagram- @skeinandhook. Thanks so much!

4. Rosemaryflower says:

I love this quilt. I like easy. Yes, complicated quilts are divine, but I just do not have time. I want to start using up fabrics and really making some special ones for my family and friends

5. Tracey says:

Very nice design, Jessica! I’d like to see this made with scraps, too.

6. Maggie Drafts says:

Jessica, this quilt just proves that “easy” quilts don’t have to be dull! Love your design. This is a keeper for sure! 99.9 % of my quilts are lap size for our local Children’s Hospital; this design will be perfect for adding machine embroidery in the large squares, and can be made any size needed! Thanks for sharing!

7. Linda B says:

Very nice design, Jessica. Thanks for sharing!

8. IDA M BOURNE says:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt and instructions for making it. Love the pattern and fabrics.

9. Betty says:

Simple and elegant with just enough countrystyle in the sashing to set off the gorgeous layer cake squares. Love what you have designed and it goes on the top of my “must make” list.

10. Dianne says:

Love this quilt. I’m a beginner, it looks as if I might be successful with this one. Thanks for sharing.

• Hi Dianne,

Yes, I am sure you can make this quilt! If you have any questions while making it, you can contact me through my blog- skeinandhook.blogspot.com.

11. Ellie G says:

Very nice! I will be doing this for a picnic quilt for my little granddaughter. I’ll use a large print I have for the centers and then 30’s prints for the small squares. It will be perfect! Thank you for sharing.

• Hi Ellie,

I adore 30s prints! I’d love to see your version! If you share your picture on Instagram, I’d love for you to tag me so I can see it- @skeinandhook

12. Ann says:

This looks like a fun quilt and you made a clear and easy to follow tutorial.

13. Sandra Laws says:

I love large block quilts to showcase beautiful fabrics, so this quilt is perfect. Thank you for designing an easy, but beautiful quilt pattern, Jessica.

14. Shelia says:

I have some red work abc blocks I think will look so nice set like this. Thank you.