The Long and the Short of It Quilt

Happy New Year!

Hello! I am Barbara Esposito @TheQuiltedB.  I love to sew and have a passion for teaching others to do so.  It is a joy to see this craft being passed on to younger folks!  This quilt pattern came about because I was in a place where I needed FOUR baby quilts in the same month.  And that month was December.  I know I just heard a little *gasp*!  The pattern is from my “down and dirty” bag of tricks.  The top can literally be assembled in an afternoon.  It is also a great beginner’s pattern.  You can change the look and size quite easily by adding sashing and/or borders (shown at the end of this post with Confetti by Me and My Sister Designs – using yardage instead of a Layer Cake).

Mama’s Cottage by April Rosenthal of Prairie Grass Patterns is a prefect collection for quick piecing because all the fabrics play so very nicely together.

These quilts finish approximately 45″ by 55″ and 50″ by 60″ respectively.

Who’s ready to whip up a quilt (or two)?

Mama’s Cottage

Two Charm Packs 24050PP

One Layer Cake 24050LC

3 Yards 24052-24 for backing

1/2 Yard 24050-16 for binding

Begin by laying out the charm squares and make sets of two.  You will need a total of 30 sets (60 charms).  I like to lay all the charm squares out to play with different combinations.  If you are brave you can simply pull two at a time and sew them together.

The Layer Cakes will be cut in half so you can choose 30 different prints and have half Layer Cakes left over, or choose 15 that will be cut in half.  I like to hang on to fabric (can you say “hoarder”?) so this quilt used only 15 Layer Cakes.  In the interest of full disclosure, I did cut up some of the layer cakes to use as 5” squares…

Once the Layer Cakes have been chosen. Trim off ½” from one side.  Take care if your fabric is directional.

Cut the fifteen 9-1/2” by 10” blocks into two long blocks that will measure 5” by 9-1/2” There will be a total of 30 long blocks.

Next match up your Charm sets with a “long” Layer Cake piece.  Sew them together on the long side, and press to the long side.  This will yield 30 blocks.  The finished block should measure 9-1/2”.  Trim the blocks if necessary.

It’s time to lay out your rows.  This quilt is 5 blocks across by six blocks down with every other block flipped upside down across the row.

Sew 5 blocks into a row, nesting the seams where the charms and the long block meet.

Continue with the remaining blocks to make 6 rows.

Press your rows in opposite directions – Press Row 1 to the left, Row 2 to the right, etc.  This will help the rows nest together and make all the blocks line up.

Sew the rows together.  BOOM!  Quilt top done!  Now quilt and bind as desired.

Optional Layout!

Optional Ingredients for using yardage in place of Layer Cakes, and adding sashing:

Two Charm Packs 22320PP

1-1/2 Yards 22322-29 for “long” blocks

3 Yards 22320-11 for backing

1/2 Yard 22321-28 for binding

One Honey Bun white 9900HB 98 (12 strips are needed)

Using the 1-1/2 yard piece of fabric. Consider the fabric pattern directions and cut as follows:

Either Eight 5 inch strips – sub cut into 9-1/2” by 5” blocks

OR

Four 9-1/2” strips – sub cut into 5” by 9-1/2” blocks

These pieces will take the place of the Layer Cakes above.

Assemble blocks as above, using the Long Blocks cut from your yardage in place of the Long Blocks cut from the Layer Cakes.

See the chart below for adding Honey Bun sashing and boarders.

NOTE:  Be sure to pin when adding sashing.  It keeps the fabric from stretching out and making your rows all wavy-wonky!

Both of these quilts come together very quickly. I hope you keep them ready in your bag of tricks.  The Confetti quilt is a bit more controlled – the “long” blocks are all the same fabric and sashing was added to bring a bit of order to the top but honestly, either one makes for a quick project.

Molly Kohler of @MollyLovelyThreads did this custom quilting.  Brilliant, no??

I love to share quilting with others, and hope you will give these easy quilts a try.  Once again, in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that these two quilts may never, ever make it out of my living room.  And they will most definitely be hidden whenever my sister Nancy is in town…

I really would love to see what you make so please be sure to tag me @TheQuiltedB .

Barbara Esposito

@TheQuiltedB

Barbara Esposito

Barbara Esposito

Hello!I am an amateur quilter, bag-maker, and simple pattern designer.(OK…I admit it…I’m a fabric hoarder too.I even have a double-secret stash drawer where I hide my most precious fabric, and no, I won’t tell you where it is.)I sew for the pure joy it brings me.I do believe finished is better than perfect.I love to teach beginner quilters.It’s so exciting to see them understand the basics and then to watch them make the creative process their own!I am blessed to be married to my best friend, Joe.He is also my color consultant and camera guy.I am ever so grateful to Moda for this amazing opportunity to play with fabric and create even more fun!
Barbara Esposito

Latest posts by Barbara Esposito (see all)

24 comments on “The Long and the Short of It Quilt

1. Chris Reeske says:

My stash is really a Sable (stash accumulated beyond life expectancy), so I really do need to use it up and this looks like a lovely way. Thanks

• Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

Hahahaha – I love that! SABLE. Mine is as well. Thank you for your gracious comment. It really does go together quite quickly – I am using this pattern for charity quilts as well as “Oh my gorsh I need another baby quilt” quilts!

• Rosemaryflower says:

My husband…. is usually clueless, or so appears to be, about the piles and piles.
      However, I made a simple amazon order of fabric to add to some gifts I bought in order to get free ship. A few days later, he surveyed my sewing room and inquired rather surprisingly and confused “Do you have enough fabric? Do you still need more fabric?”
      Of course he caught me off guard and I said, “yes, I am done” hahahahahahaha

2. Jackson Watkins says:

I love the “Sable” comment above! A great word for the New Year! Also, I adore this easy, quick, lovely quilt pattern and do believe I will be using it this year. Occasionally we just need an easy quilt pattern to enjoy, relax, but at the same time, enjoy the process of putting it together and watching it turn into a beautiful quilt for someone we love. I already know that mine will go to a young person I have in mind. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

• Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

I agree that sometimes we need simple! So excited that you already have someone in mind for the quilt. Thank you for taking the time to tell me. And I too LOVE the SABLE – hoping it inspires me to work through my stash! Happy sewing and I really would love to see what you make!

• Jackson Watkins says:

Hi Barbara, I’m not sure how soon I will get to this pattern, but will be sure to share when I do. Again, thanks so much!

3. Maureen Rogers says:

A lovely quilt! A great way to use up some charm squares. Thank you to Chris for the SABLE comment!

4. Susan says:

Love the “Sable” word! It about sums up my stash as well

5. Luella Massie says:

Love your quilts and thank you! If I wanted a larger quilt, could I make the sashing wider still use the layer cake method and extra yardage for a border ( and sashing?). Thank you

• Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

Thank you for your kind words! You can absolutely use wider sashing – I has thought of using Jellyrolls but wanted to keep the size of the quilt for a baby size. I don’t think I would go wider than Jellyroll for the sashing but you can add borders from yardage or just make more blocks. I did not use up all the Layer Cake pieces in the Mama’s Cottage quilt or all of the Charms. I do think if you choose to add blocks you may want to consider 3 Charm packs for wider color choices. And you know I would just Love to see what you make!

6. ALUCIA says:

I am a beginner quilter and this looks like a great quilt to learn from and to feel like I’ve accomplished something. I have more stash than I know what to do with! It is so fun looking at and buying fabric! But I need to make more larger projects instead of so many simple table runners. Binding intimidates me, but I’ve watched a lot of YouTube tutorials. Thank you for this lovely tutorial!

• Alycia says:

Sorry, my name is actually Alycia.

• Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

Hi Alycia! I hope you do give it a go. It really is easy. Start with the one that does not use sashing. I use an old shower curtain onto which I have sewn flannel (or you can use a large piece of batting) and I hang it on a wall in my sewing room with push pins (that way it is completely stash-able) as my design wall. Try that to get the colors the way you want them. And don’t be intimidated by the binding! I rarely hand bind my quilts. If you machine bind, use thread in the bobbin that matches the back and no one will ever see it. Finished is way better than perfect. No one snuggling under that quilt will ever say, “oh! look! I can see the stitches on the back!” They will know you made it with love and will appreciate every thing you put into it! You can totally do this – now go sew! And tag me so I can celebrate your first quilt with you!

• Elizabeth Cox says:

I love your quilts. Ive only been quilting since april to carry on my grandmas tradition. I will certainly add these two to my patterns. I love designing my own patterns, such an awesome stress reliever!! Thank you so much!! Many blessings to you in this new year

• Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

I love that you are carrying on your Grandmas tradition. In this high-tech world, I really do believe it is so important to keep and pass on traditions! Blessings to you as well and many happy hours of sewing and creating!

7. Rosemaryflower says:

This is a great fun adorable quilt and I am going to print this one out and make it!
    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity

• Barbara Esposito, The Quilted B says:

Thank you – I think the fabrics (and Molly’s quilting magic) really made the quilts sing. It is my great pleasure to share! Can’t wait to see your version!

8. Nancy Morneault says:

I have 2 identical layer cakes that I’m going to use to make the quilt larger. I will cut one in half and the other into quarters. Thanks for the great pattern.

9. I love them both, Barbara!! Such a fun and fast quilt (and we all LOVE fast quilts)!! 🙂

10. Long one is good in comparison to short one quilt.

We love to hear from you...