X’s and O’s Quilt

Hi!  My name is Susan Vaughan from The Felted Pear.  I am excited to share with you today a tutorial for my X’s and O’s quilt! By using one charm pack and a little over a yard of background fabric, you will be able to create a festive wall hanging or table topper that looks great not only in the happy colors of April Rosenthal’s Mama’s Cottage, but soft and romantic in your favorite floral fabrics.

The idea for this quilt originated from a charm pack and pad of the Cupcake Mix Recipe Cards #1.  I love working with the recipes because they use precut fabrics so they require little cutting prep work, they are fast, accurate and most importantly they eliminate the need for squaring up Half Square Triangle units!    After all your units are made the fun comes.  You can literally spend hours arranging the units coming up with different patterns and blocks.  While playing around with blocks on my design wall, I noticed that these two blocks looked just like X’s and O’s and I knew I had to put them together to make a quilt!

This quilt finishes at 30″x 30″.

(1) Charm Pack of Mama’s Cottage by April Rosenthal  (32 charm squares)
1.5 yards background/border fabric {24057 15}
1 yard backing fabric {24052 21}
1/3 yards binding fabric {24056 11}

Cupcake Mix #1 {CC1}

Cut (5) 5″ strips by the width of fabric from your background fabric.  Subcut those strips into 5″ squares until you have 32 background squares.

From your charm pack, pick your 32 favorite prints.

Gather one 5″ square of background fabric, one 5″ charm square, one Cupcake Mix Recipe card, and some pins.

Layer your charm squares in the following order.  Printed fabric face up, background fabric face down and the Cupcake Recipe Card face up on top of the fabric stack.  Carefully use the two pins,to hold all three layers in place, being careful not to pin along the dotted lines.

Repeat this step with all 32 Charm squares, background squares and recipe cards.

Take the pinned recipe cards to your sewing machine and sew on the dotted lines, following the numbers like a “connect the dots.”  Be sure to slightly shorten your stitch length to make the paper rip off easier.

When all 32 of your recipe cards are sewn, you are ready to cut your recipe cards.

{I outlined the sew lines in purple, and the cut lines in pink to make it easier for you to see the difference}

Trim along the solid (cut) lines.  I like to trim the two sides that touch the four smaller half square triangles first, then slice the block diagonally down the middle, giving a unit with the four smaller half square triangles and a unit with one larger half square triangle.  Trim the units along the remaining solid lines, yielding four small triangles, and one large triangle.

Iron the triangles open.  A neat trick to prevent the fabric from stretching is to iron the squares while the background paper is still attached to the square.  By placing the paper side on the ironing board, you can fold back the focus charm and press.  Your seams will be pressed to the dark side.  Pretty brilliant right?!?

After the triangles are ironed, tear off the paper backing by holding the seam between your index finger and your thumb, and tearing the excess paper away from the seam.  It should pop right off!

Although the blocks are perfectly square, I find it easier when I am assembling the blocks to snip the little corners off the edges of my triangles.

There you have it!  One charm, one background square, and one cupcake mix paper will yield (1) 3.5″ (unfinished) and (4) 2″ (unfinished) perfectly sized half square triangles.

Assembling the Blocks:

The X’s and O’s pattern is made up of two different blocks.  The X Block and the O block.

To make an X block, gather 16 of the smaller half square triangle units and arrange as shown.  Take a few extra seconds to make sure all of your half square triangles are facing the correct direction.

Take your block units to the machine and sew into four rows as shown.  Because there are so many seams in a relatively small block, I like to press my seams open.

Assemble the four rows into one block that measures 6.5″ square unfinished.

Make 8 of the X Blocks.

To make an O Block, gather 4 of the larger half square triangle units.

Double check that all the charm squares are facing inward and sew units together as shown.

The O Block should measure 6.5″ square (unfinished).

Make (8) O Blocks.

Assemble blocks together as shown alternating between O blocks and X blocks.

Attach the borders:

From the background fabric, cut four strips 3.5″ by the width of fabric.

Cut two border strips to 24.5″** and attach to the left and right sides of the quilt.

**Because we all have different seam allowances, I recommend cutting your border strips after measuring the quilt top and using that measurement as your cutting measurement.

Cut two border strips to 30.5″ and attach to the top and bottom sides of the quilt.  Again, I recommend cutting your border strips to size after you have measured your quilt top.

You now have a completed quilt top!

After pressing your top, and preparing your backing, layer the quilt top, batting, and backing fabric.  Baste with your preferred method and quilt as desired.  I quilted my X’s and O’s quilt with a continuous faux orange peel design after a favorite vintage quilt.  I quilted the borders with straight lines.

Bind using (5) 2.25″ of straight of grain binding strips.

This quilt finishes at 30″ 30″.

I hope you enjoy making this sweet X’s and O’s quilt!

I’d love to see what you make. Be sure to tag me on Instagram (@thefeltedpear) when you share your project!

Susan Vaughan
{@thefeltedpear}

Susan Vaughan

Susan Vaughan

I began sewing 14 years ago when my grandmother gifted me a sewing machine as a wedding present. I attended my first quilting class a few months later and haven't looked back! When I am not at my machine, I enjoy sewing with my nine-year-old daughter, exploring quilt shops and all things pear.
Susan Vaughan

Latest posts by Susan Vaughan (see all)

33 comments on “X’s and O’s Quilt

1. Bonnie says:

I love the pattern but in the first part where you layer everything together you state to put the print side up and the background side down and put the paper on top. You would be sewing the wrong sides together???????? It doesn’t make sense????

2. Val says:

Try the layer as stated. It just means right sides of fabric together and paper on top! It makes sense.

3. ArtsyOne says:

Thanks so much for posting these clear instructions – and what a pretty line of fabric!

4. Rosemaryflower says:

WOW this is a very pretty quilt and I love the sewing and cutting process.
    Thank you so so very much dear Susan for sharing your creativity.
    I am going to print this one out, and certainly going to make it soon!

5. Karen Jacobsen says:

Silly question but… Where can I find The recipe card for one Cupcake Mix Recipe card #1?

• Hi Karen, its not silly at all! I have gotten all of my Cuocake Mixes and Cake Mixes at my local quilt shop. I always recommend supporting you local shop, but if that is not an option for you, several of the fabulous online shops carry them to be shipped to your house.

6. Janice green says:

What are cupcake mix? #1cc1

7. Vera says:

Where can I find the recipe for Cupcake #1? Or where to order not just #1 but all the cupcake recipes?

• Hi Vera! Try your local quilt shop, if they don’t have them instock, they can probably order it for you. Be sure to let them know that you would like Cupcake Mix #1. If they are unable to order it for you, try one of the big online shops. They should have them instock. Hope this info helps and be sure to post a picture if you try the quilt.

• Vera says:

Thank you Susan for the quick reply! Although my quilt company is a bit out of the way, I will try my online company Fat Quarter Shop. As a beginner, I KNOW this is something I can do. I am excited to get this started, and of course, I will post photos.

8. jean maynard says:

It’s great to be able to “hear” joy in the voice coming of a writer as reading and that’s what I hear as I read your design discovery. Love your design but I gotta admit the binding and back make a huge look at me statement. Very nice quilt and the fabrics are super

9. Peggy Giese says:

This is SEW adorable! I think I’ll just have to make it today☺️

10. Sandra DeMers says:

Could you use a layer cake and make it 60 x 60? I love the design!

11. halejm says:

This would be great for Valentine’s Day! Thank you…..

12. Rebecca Pharr says:

Where is the Cupcake Mix Recipe please?

13. Hi Rebecca, Check your local quilt shop for the cupcake mix recipe #1. They come as a pad with all the sheets (and a few extra) that you will need for this project! Happy Sewing!

14. Beautiful quilt.Thanks. I noticed some of the corners do not meet when you sew the color triangle with the white triangle together (it leaves a little white fabric from the corner). How do we achieve this and how do we know which pieces need to be like that? I am a beginner quilter, so maybe I missed something. Thank you.

• Katika says:

If I am understanding this correctly, then that little white space will bee for the seam allowance. When you sew it, the corners should meet perfectly. I hope this helps!

15. Hi Irene. Thank you for your comment. I am not quite sure what you are asking and the area that you are refering to in the quilt. Perhaps my points just didn’t match exactly? You do need to sew slowly as in a few areas there is a bit of bulk and that can lead to a bit of wonkiness if you are not careful. If you follow the step by step block layout as above, and make 8 of the X blocks and 8 of the O blocks, you should be good to go!

16. Bobbie Ward says:

Hi so very new to this
    Where do I purchase fabric and paper piecing papers❤️

17. Sue says:

Hi Susan,
    The minute I saw this quilt I knew I had to make it! I had to wait for the fabric but I have it now. It’s so cheerful! And right now I need a design that isn’t too challenging.
    I absolutely love how you made it!
    One little problem- that darn cupcake printing is so small ! I need to get out my readers 🙂
    Thank you so much for the great inspiration!
    Another Susan

18. Shirlee Calbert says:

I LOVE this quilt! It looks so easy too. I’m gonna give this one a try but I’d like to make it for a twin size bed. Do you have the fabric quantities to buy for that size? If not, I’ll over-buy and get it done that way. It won’t be the first time. Thanks for posting this wonderful quilt.